Time to complete one round of chanting

HARE KRISHNA

I want to know what is the minimum time to complete one round of chanting with a clear tone? is three to four minutes approprite or would it imply missing out some of the words or skipping the beads?

an utterly  fallen soul

Neha

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well mataji actually chanting 16 rounds itself completely works as effective as 64rounds or 192 rounds when we actually have complete enthusiasm,ectasy and one pointed contemplated surrender on the lotus feet of srila prabhupada so always praise prabhu pad from the bottom of your heart. I hope this helps you hare krsna all glories to sri guru and gauranga and srila prabhupada
  • Thanks to all dear devotees to take out time to answer my question and showing me the right direction for chanting.

• Hare Krsna!

Please accept my humble reverence.

I suggest a process than maybe function for Chant your Japa.

1- Try to awake early in the morning 3:30AM, and after clean neat your body

and put Tilaka, take some verses of the Bhagavad Gita chapter (6) read in loudly.

2- Also pray from your heart: My Dear Lord I have the desire to Chant with concentration

my japa, I like to be fix in your holy name. Hare Krsna!

3- You never have to be rush for finish your japa, you like chant in goodness.

4- The more important point is to hearing the holy name with rapt attention, in the

Harinam Cintamani said, than we need to pray to our Lord for that attention.

5- Chant slowly, dont to be impatience for the time of your rounds, only for chant with quality.

6- If is possible record your japa or said a friend devotee than hearing you chanting one round.

7- Trnad api sunicena, always chanting with feeling of humility for the pleasure of your Guru.

Hare Krsna!

• Volunteer

when we chant too slowly then it means mind is traveling some other places.

i have also to improve it. :(

But it shouldn't be also to fast less than 5-6 minutes. It means we are eating words.

No Pancha Tattva Maha Mantra is not included.

Your servant,

• It is so hard to be focusd. We have such little ability to focus. The mind is so uncontrolled and so strong – its everywhere and anywhere. It’s very difficult. But we are going through emotions, kind of. If you record yourself….. I don’t know if you have ever recorded yourself chanting, but I’ve recorded myself chanting:
      “Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
      Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare, Hare, Hare”.
      There were extra few ‘Hare Hare’. I don’t know how it happened….obviously the mind was somewhere else for a moment, where there were an extra ‘Hare Hare…..Ram Ram Hare Hare’ – there are all the other varieties: We don’t pronounce properly; miss syllables; we add syllables; we skip beads; chant a round and finish in 3 minutes – that was quick! That means probably the beads and the mantra not being synchronised. It happens, which is a bit of a problem when we are not fully attentive, than the beads will be at one speed and the mantras will be at another speed…..and that’s one of the problems in chanting.
      We have to really try to make it a habit to change exactly on the point where the one mantra ends and the other mantra begins, because the tendency can develop after a while to already change a little before. A round can even change….it can happen, if we have to change exactly on the proper points. So the similar amount of energy should also go to the bead also – to properly move around the beads. Otherwise we develop bad counting habits, and we are chanting 16 rounds in 1 hour and 20 mins…..so good…and yes I skip beads!

So if the rounds stay less than 2 hours than the possibility of skipping beads is certainly there and something to look at. If you finish one round in 5 minutes that means that you got to like chant very concentrated rounds. So it’s possible to chant 5 minutes rounds but it’s a serious business. Its like driving in 200km an hour and there is not a moment to be looking at the sides….the eyes are on the road. That’s how it is. If you chant casual 5 minutes round, then either you are swallowing mantras or skipping beads……or both!

(H.H Kadamba Kanana Swami, 2004)

• Hare krishna,

pamho. AGTSP.

Srila Prabhupada says that it can be 6min 30 sec to 7min 30 sec.

Also, I heard from a bonafide source that it can be sometimes as low as 5min 30 sec after practicing over a period of time and entirely depends on the chanter.

So, if its below 5.5 min or more than 8.5 min, one needs to pay attention.

So, how to implement this??

Do you chanting and record it daily....take some arbitrary day, round and hear the recording.

If you see that all the words of the mahamantra are pronounced clearly, then the principle of "pronouncing clearly" is being maintained. Similarly 'hear attentively' and chant in the mood of humility taking complete shelter of the holynames of krishna. Then, Krishna will take care of everything, including 'time taken'.

All the best with your spiritual journey.

Aspiring for the blessings of all of you devotees,

ys chaitanya.

• Hare Krishna Chaitanya Prabhuji,

Dandvat parnam

As you mentioned that max time devotee should take to complete round is 8.5 min else needs to pay attention.Please tel me if this duration includes the duration of chanting panchatatva mantra also which is to be chanted before starting every round?

Your Servant.

• Average Time is 6-7 minutes. For beginners it could take more than 7 minutes.

But if someone complets his/her chanting within 5 minutes, it means the person is either skipping the beads or skipping the words of mahamantra which is considered as an offense.

Haribol!!!!

• Hare Krsna Mathaji,

Please accept my respectful obeisances.

All Glories to Srila Prabhupada.

Nice question...

I heard from senior devotees and, prabhupada disciples and my guru mahraj.. It will take 6 to 7 minutes for completing one round...

For more details you can read "The Art of Chanting Hare Krsna" book by H.H Mahanidhi swami mahraj..

Hare Krsna....

With Gratitude,

Your humble servant,
    KrsnaMitra Nitai dasa
This reply was deleted.