I have been involved with Iskcon for 12 years and find it very hard to follow for more than 6mths per year,and so I slip away as I havent made any friendships as Im on and off and I find Devotees keep their distance as they dont want to fall also so i always retreat to karmi friends and so the cycle goes on. Does anyone know what I cd do? it dosent seem like a house that everyone can live in..

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Haribol Prabhu.I have heard of these guys but sadly they are many hundreds of miles away from me and I need to earn a living...

Thankyou for your reply

Jai Srila Prabhupada!

• Dear Matthew Prabhu - All glories to Sri Guru and Gauranga!

Your inquiry fulfills the first requirement of success in Krsna consciousness. You have realized our fundamental predicament. At the same time, you express the matter quite clearly and practically.

At New Vrindaban in August 1972, I heard the following exchange between Srila Prabhupada and a devotee:

Devotee: "Srila Prabhupada, if our purpose is to become Krsna conscious, why is Maya so strong?"

Srila Prabhuapda: "Because your purpose is not strong."

To get a college degree or professional license or to be successful in commerce or any other goal thought to be worthwhile generally requires so much determination and sacrifice as well as a willingness to try and fail and try again with greater understanding and greater determination. Krsna consciousness certainly requires nothing less.

At the same time, unlike material endeavors, there is no loss in any attempt in Krsna consciousness but only eternal gain. This is confirmed by Sri Krsna. Rupa Gosvami counsels enthusiasm and patience as well as observing the required restrictions and staying in the association of devotees. It is quite scientific.

In my own case, Krsna was kind enough to direct me to a city 1000 miles away from my family home and strand me. My precarious position was made very clear to me at that time! Trying to join in my home city surrounded by all the familiar distractions would have been quite impossible. The devotees answered my questions and kindly instructed me in the fundamentals of the practice of devotional service.

So, it comes down to taking shelter of devotees, whether there or elsewhere. Try to understand the process how to associate with devotees. Inquire how to improve. Offer to perform any service, and always chant the Holy Name.

Finally, in lecture 740313CCVRN in Vrindaban, Srila Prabhupada urged:

"So our Krsna consciousness society is a bhakta-sanga, is a society of devotees. Never try to go away. Never try to go away. Discrepancies there may be. You should adjust. And this chanting and dancing amongst, within the society of devotees, has got great advantage, great value. Here it is confirmed—and all the Vaisnavas have confirmed—

tändera carana-sevi-bhakta-sane väsa
    janame janame mora ei abhiläsa

"Janame janame mora means he doesn't want to go back [to Godhead]. That is not his desire. "When Krsna will desire, Krsna will allow me. That is different thing. Otherwise, let me go on in this way, life in the society of devotees and chanting and dancing is my business." This is required. Not anything else. Anything else, anything desiring, that is anyäbhiläsa. Anyäbhiläsitä-sünyam [Brs. 1.1.11].

"A devotee should not desire anything except this, that "Let me live with the society of devotees and chant Hare Krsna mahä-mantra." This is our life."

Please, sincerely pray to Lord Nityananda for deliverance into the Hari Nam Sankirtana Movement and He will always help you. The Lord and His devotees will reward your heart's purposeful desire.

Hare Krsna.

• Volunteer

so helpful answer Prabhuji!!! Thank You so much!

Yes, association of Devotees is very important.

Your servant, 

• Haribol! Thanks for yr reply.

Sounds like I need to move to the States,theres only Iskcon here and a few ritvics,

I would love to meet some sincere fringies but they dont seem to exist here in New Zealand.

Hope this finds you extremely Krsna Concious

MattJi

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna dear Devotees, please accept my humble obeisances! All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

To achieve Krishna is very difficult. And to do it alone is not possible. Because of that association - regular association is very important. 

People around us are like waves in the river. When we swim to the side where waves are flowing then it is very easy to swim and reach the destination but if we do the opposite then it is a struggle.

Knowing that we have to select proper waves which means Devotees who are swimming towards Krishna not karmis who are swimming away from Krishna.

ALONE WE ARE HELPLESS. WE NEED THE ASSOCIATION OF MANY DEVOTEES. Even a great sannyasi may fall down in this age of Kali when he does not have proper association what to speak of us - simple new comers?!

------------

When we are in the association Devotees will tell us to read Srila Prabhupada's books, chant our rounds attentively...in this way enthuse us. But when we are alone we start to think that these things are not important. 

Matthew Prabhuji, please find nice Devotee friends. You can find a friend if You just start to render small services to Devotees. Just try to serve to them. And You will find others interesting.

Without friends life is difficult.

Your servant, 

• If I was going to find friends in Iskcon it would have happened by now.

If yr not steady in Krsna Conciousness then Devotees are weary.

I dont want to blow my own horn,I really dont but I have done a fare bit of service over the last 12yrs and it hasnt made me friends,just,loverly aquaintances  but not mates like we all need.

Please exscuse my spelling

I hpe this finds you extemely Krsna Concious

ys MattJi

New Zealand

• Volunteer

THE SIGNIFICANCE OF UNDERGOING AUSTERITIES. PART 1.‏

http://www.iskcondesiretree.net/group/krishnaconsciousness/forum/to...

THE SIGNIFICANCE OF UNDERGOING AUSTERITIES. PART 2.‏

THE SIGNIFICANCE OF UNDERGOING AUSTERITIES. PART 3.‏

SADHU SANGA. Part 1. AND IMPORTANT NOTES.

SADHU SANGA. Part 2. AND IMPORTANT NOTES.

• PAMHO! Just an opinion, but I think you're too worried about the judgements of others. This is very material thought. Your concern should not be of what people think, but of the glories you give to Krsna in the available time that you spend in devotional service.

Hare Krsna!

• HK Pr, devotional life is not simple as it seems to be, but we have the mercy of of guru and gauranga to save us from this material ocean.  We are all living a compromised life in the name of robes and tilak.  One does not become a devotee with his robes.  The change has to happen from within.  Just follow regulative principles and chant.  Do not discriminate humans as karmis and devotees surrounding you.  The word devotee is a very deep understanding.  It cannot be used on people who visit ISKCON temples and wear tilaks.  We just say they are devotees to respect them and encourage them to continue in their sadhana.  There is absolutely no difference in the life before and after coming to ISKCON to me atleast.  Earning for bread continues.  Competition continues.  Survival efforts continues.  So, don't worry.  We are all in the same boat.  You just expressed and we didn't.  Chant Hare Krsna and be happy.

• Thankyou for your reply,its interesting.

So is it up to Krsna wether I make friends with Devotees? im sure I read that some where once.

This reply was deleted.