Theory of evolution

Haribol to all devotees!

PAMHO!! AGSTP!!

I'm a Neophyte who is just up to 8 rounds of chanting. I am off meat and onion/garlic for the last 8 months and I'm feeling absolutely great. I regularly visit IDT just to read through the wonderful answers from senior devotees. There is no ISKCON temple near my place, but thankfully I live alone and don't have many friends - so I can go about my sadhana without distraction.

I think that in one of the myriad questions/responses on this forum, I read that the theory of evolution as propounded by modern science is nothing but a sham, and doesn't adhere to scriptures. However, I'm unable to understand why it is considered a lie, and seek guidance from someone who can enlighten me.

All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• To me the evolutionary theory seems like one-way ticket from nothing to everything, like a mathematical vector. We know, Mathematic explains a lot about the universe, but not everything. Probably everything in the universe [including human development [not'' evolution''] goes in spirals. Those  spirals go in spirals of another dimensions, we can't sense, and so on.

On NHK World there was a news about artificial intelligence who won a game ''Bo'' against human  intelligence. But this artificial intelligence is created from another human. So nothing  comes from nothing.  

• Mataji,

Please accept my humble obeisances.

It seems your understanding of Darwin's theory of evolution is incomplete. It is a common misunderstanding that the theory states man came from ape. However, in fact the theory states that both modern man and modern apes came from a common ancestor - like a great-great-great grandfather, only much farther back in time, many, many hundreds and thousands of generations ago. We have actually found many skeletons from long ago which look like humans, but smaller and more ape-like.

And we have seen many species going extinct recently, mostly because of humans polluting and destroying natural habitats. When animals die, they tend to be the weaker ones - not always, but more often than not. So, the strongest ones survive. This "survival of the fittest" means that the ones with the best genetic information can pass down their DNA to their kids, which over time is called evolution.

Evolution can be seen happening today. Humans bred dogs from wolves into so many different breeds of dogs we see today, which did not exist before.

This theory cannot really be called a lie, since it is only a "best guess" from all the evidence scientists have collected. In the end it is just mental speculation, which may certainly have truth to it, but it is also tinted with falseness; and the ultimate truth is Krsna, who is far beyond any possibilities for mental speculation.

Science is wonderful and has helped us to attain comfortable living and good health, but now we must transcend that life for a spiritual life in blissful love with Krsna.

Please, please forgive me if I have offended you.
      Hare Krishna
      Peace and love
      • All glories to you prabhuji. May all of life be ensconced in the light of knowledge.

This reply was deleted.