suicides

hare krishna

pranam

why do people commit suicides

my ex colleague swati gupta dey daniel was in her cocoon for four years after her split with her husband and refused to pick up phone calls of common friends. yesterday in red she wrote on her FB wall I QUIT and today we read the news of her not being any more...

just last month i lost my dear mom and this month a dear friend....

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Dave, you can go through SB Canto 3 Chapter 14 Text no 10 to 40 and onwards entitled "Pregnancy of Diti in the Evenning".

• thanks dave for the condolences...pranam

• E-Counselor

The people who are grossly ignorant and do not know the consequences about the future status of their soul, do commit such heinous act.

In Srimad Bhagavatam it is stated that who commits suicide can not get back any more physical body life after life unless favored by the Lord Shiva. They remain as Ghosts and keep on wandering with great sufferings. Only when some one gets involved with sexual union at odd times--in the evening, in mid day or midnight,these ghosts by the order of Lord Shiva enters in to this unfortunate mother's womb. As a result, only demons take birth from such wombs to carry on all disturbances in the society.

So,any sane person should not even think of such ghastly action of suicide.

Thank you,

Haribol!

• karunanidhi das, i believe in the goodness of people and i dont have an iota of belief in what you say, thank god..thanks for commenting though..pranam

• E-Counselor

How can you get the believe in the goodness unless you are situated in mode of goodness? For instance, I am a meat eater, drinking wine, and rapt in all types of nonsense things; How can one expect the good things from me ? So, to have good belief, we need to have real knowledge about the good thing as mentioned in Bhagavad-Gita.

• E-Counselor

Jyoti Mataji, either you believe or not, whatever written in Srimad Bhagavattam is " Absolute Truth".

śrīmad-bhāgavataṁ purāṇam amalaṁ yad vaiṣṇavānāṁ priyaṁ
         yasmin pāramahaṁsyam ekam amalaṁ jñānaṁ paraṁ gīyate
        tatra jñāna-virāga-bhakti-sahitaṁ naiṣkarmyam āviskṛtaṁ
         tac chṛṇvan su-paṭhan vicāraṇa-paro bhaktyā vimucyen naraḥ
        SB 12.13.18
        Translation: 
        "Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam is the spotless Purāṇa. It is most dear to the Vaiṣṇavas because it describes the pure and supreme knowledge of the paramahaṁsas. This Bhāgavatam reveals the means for becoming free from all material work, together with the processes of transcendental knowledge, renunciation and devotion. Anyone who seriously tries to understand Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam, who properly hears and chants it with devotion, becomes completely liberated."
        Since it is stated in Srimad Bhagavattam in Canto 3,Chapter 14 ,text no 10 to 40 about suicide and its consequences as ghosts, I wrote to your reply. So, if you get a chance,please read above mentioned verses in Srimad Bhagavatam. Then your belief will be stronger through the light of knowledge of Srimad Bhagavattam.
        For example, what a child can understand about the college level course. Simillarly,we need devotee association and reading of Srilla Prabhupada's transcendental books to get the perfect belief.In Bhagavad-Gita it is stated that " one gets belief through the wisdom".
        Thank you for your understanding,
        Hare Krishna!
        http://belief.In/
        See related links to what you are looking for.
  • _/\_ thank you for the condolences...some times its still time to understand divine intentions...

• I like to think of the Soles existence as devided between the diffrent Stratums Spiritual, Subtle & physical. There is a time that the soul sharebody's existence with the body and occupies both the physical & Subtal existences (i.e.this physical life & at other times it has mainly a Subtal one (death of the body). When we learn to become more honest and righteous we earn a Spiritual body which is beyond Subtle beyond false ego & pride & selfish injustus.? Fasting in their honor sounds good though for honoring loved ones on all levels of existence. Thank you for the question. My perfect answer would be' think of vSri Sri Addwatah Acharreah, He vpulled-down the Devotional CREEPER of Sri Chatonyah MahaPrahbu, right' So 1st. He created the attractive offering (s) & then after creating the* favorable -connection, over time,
    He was able to pull Him down from the Spiritual relm. This is my understanding. So if we want to honor a departed spirit we too need to create a custom of honoring them regularly & soon mutuel bennafits& a greater & stronger cannection will evolve along wititcs's great benefits.
    I.e. remember them during the performence of your (daily Rites).
    Especially while chanting be grave, Krishna's energies are grave I.e.-deep & heavy" somber & Sober it is said! So we can use that to center & ground & liborate /purify Ourselves during the performence of our meditations.
    We don't need to expand into anyplace we simply need to renounce all distractions other than chanting as a service for Krishna. & also pray for the loved one's during intermissions?
    Be attentive be consistent/regular "Onece having been the Soul never seases to be" said Krishna ! Good luck & sprry for your losses !
    • _/\_ walter..

you are so correct when u say we need to create a custom to honour a departed one daily. after bathing i daily offer my mom's spirit, water. her smiling face is forever before me in my mind

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

Suicides are considered a sin even in the material world. People who cannot cope with the problems in life commit suicide. It is a result of bad grooming and little or no spiritual leaning. That is the reason one should visit temples and do some spiritual pursuit - it helps to keep us in balance and makes us aware of the vast magnitude of time and space and how small and temporary our problems in life are.

Regarding your friend, it appears that she was in depression and thats why she "quit".

Regarding your mother, everyone has to go one day. I know you are feeling bad, but a more constructive thing to do would be to help her on her onward journey in the cycle of birth and death. 

You could recite all the shlokas of GIta for the departed souls, or Chapter 8, or 10.8 to 10.11 of Gita. You could fast on ekadasi and give the benefit of fasting to the departed souls. 

Channelise your sorrow to help them spiritually mataji.

Haribol,

Your servant,
    Radha Rasamayi DD

This reply was deleted.