Songs other than those by Vaishnava Acharyas

Hare Krishna,

My father told me that "You're not supposed to listen to songs other than those by Vaishnava Acharyas". Not talking about Bollywood/Western music but any other devotional song that describes the Lord. (from an artist other than one in Gaudiya sampradaya)

I believe the Lord is all good, all bliss and whatever music/poetry describes him is essentially flawless.

So what is the reason behind this? Any quotes from acharyas regarding this if possible? Please clear this doubt.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Gayatri ji it was a natural sudden outburst of emotions ok and not a deliberate attempt to hurt you.   Had you not written that line my style would have been totally different. I mean does your own conscience also agree with that line? God forbid if your guru misbehaves with you will you still worship him respect him?? I ask other women here too Radhaji Parul and others. And plz show me where Sp has written that you should treat a rogue guru with respect.   

• Hahahahahaha "even if the guru is not worthy of it your duty is to respect him serve him treat him like god"  means if the guru rapes a girl or does any evil act with his disciples he/she should do the same hahahahahaha. IS THIS WHAT IS TAUGHT TO YOU IN ISKCON?? Dont defame sanathan dharm or iskcon by writing such nonsense. Tell me where its written

• AGTSP
    Jai Gurudev _/|\_
  • hare krishna prabhu

reg. songs by non-devotees, milk is good but touched by tongue of a snake becomes impure, similary glorification of Lord is good but if done by an impure person, it should not be heard - as told by Srila Prabhupad

reg. songs by devotees,

i'm not sure but i have heard from some where ... different devotee groups approach the Lord in slightly different bhav, and with maybe different motives. hence their bhajans will have different flavours, & slightly different effects on the listener. hence it is better to find a group which matches your aspirations and stick to that. your father means that if u hear from multiple places, your determination won't be fixed. there is a conversation of srila prabhupad where he says how some groups say Krishna is the Original God, others say Lord Ramachandra is the Original Supreme  God. it's due to the attachment of the respective devotees to their Lordships & both are not wrong. You can't use logic & say how both can be true ... logic dosen't work in the spiritual world. Love works. Logic is after all a part of tiny human brain which has limited perceptual ability. IN the spiritual realm, many things are possible which can't be explained with logic. this is not an imaginary or dreamworld, it's very much real only we can't understand it. 

Bg 11.53 — The form you are seeing with your transcendental eyes cannot be understood simply by studying the Vedas, nor by undergoing serious penances, nor by charity, nor by worship. It is not by these means that one can see Me as I am.

Bg 11.54 — My dear Arjuna, only by undivided devotional service can I be understood as I am, standing before you, and can thus be seen directly. Only in this way can you enter into the mysteries of My understanding.

maybe there is more to it, i don't know !

pamho

Bg 11.53
    Kṛṣṇa first appeared before His parents Devakī and Vasudeva in a four-handed form, and then He transformed Himself into the two-handed form. This myst…
    • Anuresh bhai what if the vaishnav acharyas turn out to be rogues like aasaram bapu and several others?? In this kali yug 99.9 pc times we are sure to be cheated. What is the  guarantee that the group you have joined is pure. So dont get into all this. I am sorry to say your father's views and above answers have very little value in todays time. I listen to those bhajans that please the ears like the legendary Jagjit singh. 

• I appreciate your reply mataji. So i finally get the gist of it. As long as you're not advanced enough to see the Lord's potency in everything and your heart has not become clear of all vices, it is better to simply stick to the path shown by our Acharyas because it is the easiest ticket out of the Material world. However, "At the end of the day, it is the melting of the heart, surrender from heart that attracts the lord, not our perfection of tune or philosophy." That sounded really nice. Thank you all for your time and feedback!
  • "At the end of the day, it is the melting of the heart, surrender from heart that attracts the lord, not our perfection of tune or philosophy."

My point. Thanks mataji. :)
  • E-Counselor

Hare Krsna PRabhuji,

PAMHO.

To add to the wonderful replies given by both the matajis, the songs of vaishnav acharyas have our philosophy in them. If you notice, none of the songs are talking about "take away my problems" or "give me health, wealth, woman...". All the songs are talking about separation with the lord or vaishnavas, qualities of the lord, the fact that same lord came as Ram, then Krsna, then Mahaprabhu....., pastimes of the lord. By singing these songs, we imbibe the philosophy very well. So many times, when we face situations in life, those lines will appear in front of us - kamala dala jala, jivana tala mala or karuna na hoile kandiya kandiya prana na rakhibo aar or ami to kangala, Krsna Krsna boli, dhaayi tava pache pache.... these lines keep coming back to me at various moments. 

Other songs are also devotional (esp non movie songs by great devotees like Mirabai, Surdas, Tulsidas, or even the local brajwasi songs etc). The reason we are not encouraged to sing them is - we dont know whether their philosophy is gaudiya vaishnav or something else. In neophyte stage, we are not in a position to understand. Then when these words become etched in our mind, it is difficult to unlearn the philosophy mentioned in their songs. 

At this time, I am tempted to quote one incident from Mirabai's life - she was singing in the temple once and some great singer pointed out flaws in her singing and said - Raag mein gaya kijiye (pls sing in tune). She replied, raag mujhe nahi pata, main anurag mein gaati hoon. (I dont know tune, I sing from heart). At the end of  the day, it is the melting of the heart, surrender from heart that attracts the lord, not our perfection of tune or philosophy. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• "Just like as an abstract painting  appeals  differently  to different  observers ...your  perception to any song is reflects your mood and MODE in which you are operating also."

This is the point. Thanks for the amazing explanation mataji. I do listen to Vaishnava songs. 

• Thank you for taking the time for such a detailed answer mataji.. very grateful. Of course you have a point, Vaishnava songs are composed with perfection but the thing is devotion is more internal than external. What I mean by this is I may be singing a Vaishnava song by rote but may not feel any emotion (not because of the song but because my heart is vacant) but when my heart is filled with Krishna, any song will definitely remind me only of Him. Say a song which goes "Shreeman Narayan Hari, teri leela hai nyaari" (Lord Hari, your pastimes are all wonderful (and of course, we know how wonderful they are)) or "Tera Ram ji karenge beda paar, kahe ko dare" (Why fear? Lord Rama will take you across the ocean of Samsara) and because He is transcendental, remembrance of Him is transcendental and the emotion produced thereof is transcendental. After all, "Everyone follows my path in all respects, O son of Prtha". This also coincides with Praphupada quoting chanakya "Pick up gold even from a filthy place and accept nectar even if it's amidst poison." 

Anyway, we're all progressing towards Krishna so I just kind of poured my heart out about this. If there is anything offensive/improper about my opinion you can always let me know and delete my discussion if necessary. I don't wish to hurt anyone.

This reply was deleted.