How to forget pains?

How does one forget something that has been very painful?

how does one find peace in such a situation?

how does one stop self destructing himself as an escape route?

I am new to ISKCON and desire tree..i have started chanting but I cant stop my tears when I start chanting and that disturbs the whole process of chanting.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare krishna mata ji.yes,exactly the same thing is happening to me.due to a busy life,i also dont get much time to chant privately and in public,it becomes kind of embarassing to shed tears,you know..i hope I get over this and find peace
  • E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

It is considered good to shed tears while chanting. There can be either of two things - one you are crying in separation from the lord and two you are crying because of some personal pain.

If the answer is one, then I fall at your feet and beg you to teach me how to develop this emotion.

If the answer is two, then also you are gaining. This shedding tears is part of the healing/ purifying process prabhuji. No tension. If you choke up while crying, stop your chanting for a few minutes without taking your hands from the beads and sob, then sober a little and chant again asking the  lord to help you get over the pain.

Painful experiences are there is everyone's life. If we all sat down to discuss the biggest pain we have faced in our life, we all will realise that others have also gone through so much pain, in comparison our pain is nothing.

The thing to understand is that this world is dukhalayam ashashwatam - full of miseries and temporary. Everyone has come here to experience pain only. We all endeavour to enjoy and be happy, but always end up in pain. That is the nature of this world, it cannot be changed.

It may help if you read Bhagavad Gita prabhuji. It will put life in perspective for you.

The best remedy for pain is actually time. Your wound appears to be new and therefore raw. Time can heal everything.

I am tempted to quote one shloka of Gita - Ch 2.14 -

matra sparshastu kaunteya, shitoshna sukha dukhada,

agamapayino anityans tams titikshva bharata

O son of Kunti, the nonpermanent appearance of happiness and distress, and their disappearance in due course, are like the appearance and disappearance of winter and summer seasons. They arise from sense perception, O scion of Bharata, and one must learn to tolerate them without being disturbed.

Try to remember this shloka in extreme pain as well as extreme happiness. It will help you keep the balance.

Best of luck prabhuji,

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• Ya mata ji.true.he is the truly the only one
    • Thank you mata ji,for the shloka and your kind words.i believe,having an unbreakable faith in anything or anybody is a gift which a rare few receive.I hope I have recieved that gift...because,i have realized strong unbreakable faith in krishna and his words to get through.There is no other path in sight.thank you anyway.haribolo.
      • Volunteer

Rashmi Mataji is right. We all suffered in due course of time, we all felt much pain...

And true, it is really painful.

Agree, tears will help.

But along with tears we have to take shelter of Krishna. Cry for His mercy.

When i was a karmi and had such pains i used to be really lost. I used to cry and feel like it is the end of my life.

But now i have Someone who always will be with me and will give His hand.

And that is Krishna. My Father, Mother, Master, and very dear Friend. 

Everyone may leave us but He does not do so.

So pray, Prabhu, pray.

Cry for His mercy.

'My dear Lord, i do not have anyone in this world. People around me may leave me today or tomorrow. So i am alone. Please shover Your mercy, at least You do not neglect me!'

Your servant, 

• No.nothing bad happened at ISKCON.
    • Hare Krishna

I had similar kind of experience... 

Four years back .... a stressful phase of my life ... realising my problems someone wrote me 'chant Hare Krishna' . I tried to chant seriously...

I was very busy those days - extreme pressure - no time for myself - so I chanted on the way to and while returning from work. The moment I said "Hare Krishna Hare Krishna" tears will start rolling down my eyes. i could not complete it....

I tried again...and again.... and the more I chanted more tears were there... it could have led to embarrassment in pubic.

I texted the lady - that I cant chant Hare Krishna. She didnt reply on that.

Its a different story that by the grace of the God, I am able to chant now.

I guess it is really a purification process...chant from your heart...with feelings... later when i started ..i used to chant slowly in the beginning - by singing, trying different styles of sur.....it was a blissful experience....

I am sure...by chanting and singing the names and glories of the Lord, you will find solace.

This reply was deleted.