Hare krishna Devotees,

All glories to Srila Prabhupada

I just came across shlokas in Srimad bahgvatam  3.11.40 and some more where size of the universe is calculated as 50 billion yojan ( 450 billion miles ) which does not match with current observable 93 billion light years.

Please help if anybody has some more details on this .

Hari Bol !

Umesh 

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Hare Krishna Prabhu ,

Thanks you sharing more details .

Hari Bol

Umesh

• E-Counselor

Hare KRsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Both science and scriptures say that the universe is expanding. Therefore, the size mentioned in Bhagawatam is what it was 5000 years ago and what science is saying, is what it is today. Knowing modern science, I wouldnt be surprised if the size of the universe is redefined by some advanced calculations. Scriptures dont have any such updations. This is waht my simplistic mind tells me.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• Hare Krishna ,

Thanks for your responses . I still have question which I am sure is hidden in our script . 

When I read the Canto 3 Chapter 11 (Canto 3: The Status QuoChapter 11: Calculation of Time, from the Atom )

Time is explained in more than scientific way . We have a knowledge more precise than todays science .

As per scientist universe is expanding at the rate of 742 km/sec if we consider this rate still we can not say that in 5000 years universe is expanded this much .

Sorry for stressing on this question but I am sure we have answer for this .

Hare Krishna

Umesh

• Hare Krishna,

I have also gone through these calculations, it seems that calculation of universe in terms of authorized scriptures is different that of material universe. By material science, we say a universe is a collection of galaxies where as in bhagvatam universe is a generalizes terms refer to place in which we be either it may refer to solar system or a galaxy or multiple galaxies or even multiple universes.

But what we find in bhagvatam is perfect, even though science have discovered them on later-on or not yet.

In Bhagvatam we find calculations in-reference from earth where as science take reference from sun although both things are same.

So do not take in that way it is possible that the word universe may be used in many contexts.

For example --  we may use term samsara, jagat or world but we have not define its size, it may be earth or solar system or universe or just our nearby surroundings but more essential meaning is that place in which we live, or we can use them if want to explain the earth, solar system or universe etc.

So there is no contradictions on this part, even material science may be wrong but words of scriptures never false, this material world is also called illusory place, a place which is devoid of truth, in illusionary & bewildering, full of cheaters & cheated, do we really need to believe this illusionary creation ??

SB 2.9.34: O Brahmā, whatever appears to be of any value, if it is without relation to Me, has no reality. Know it as My illusory energy, that reflection which appears to be in darkness.

According to the Padma Purāṇa, within the material compass there are innumerable material universes, and all of them are full of darkness. Any living being, beginning from the Brahmās (there are innumerable Brahmās in innumerable universes) to the insignificant ant, are all born in darkness, and they require factual light from the Lord to see Him directly, just as the sun can be seen only by the direct light of the sun. No lamp or man-made torchlight, however powerful it may be, can help one see the sun. The sun reveals itself. Therefore the action of different energies of the Lord, or the Personality of Godhead Himself, can be realized by the light manifested by the causeless mercy of the Lord. The impersonalists say that God cannot be seen. God can be seen by the light of God and not by man-made speculations.

This reply was deleted.