Dandavats to all who may read this,Japa is so essential to our growth in bhakti. Modern lifestyles present many challenges to establishing a peaceful, disciplined mind able to concentrate and hear the Holy Name.What are some practical realizations you have had in this regard which help you chant without or with less offense?Sincerely,Purusottama DasSalt Lake City, Utah USA

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear Gayatri, 

Dandavat! Yes nice point. Making it personal. Adapting (or surrendering) to the means and methods that are appropriate and meaningful to oneself, with the oversight of Sri Guru. This principle is surely included in sambandha-jnana, proper acquaintance with one's environment, the Supersoul and ultimately Bhagavan.

This brings up the importance of the disciple gaining the proper association with a bona fide guru. Bhaktivinoda Thakura refers to such a guru as an "ontologist" in Harinam Cintamani. 

"spiritual guide who is an ontologist of the holy name, i.e., who has realized and does see the svarupa (form) [caitanya-rasa-vigraha] of the holy name." HC 

Service to Guru and  Vaisnava is the best way to ensure one's chanting is effective, focused and recognized! 

Then we can ask, 'How may I most pleasingly serve Gurudeva?' It is as if we need to be greedy and hungry for such service. We should know that such seva is our lifeline to higher planes of Krsna consciousness. 

By such service the mist of ignorance and the cloud of anarthas will vanish and the unhindered sunshine of the Holy Name will nourish and blossom the creeper of devotional service within us. We hear from the great Vaisnava and friend of Srila Prabhupada, Srila Govinda Maharaj, that Sri Guru is like the water within which the lotus of devotional service grows. As long as the lotus is within the cooling waters of service to Sri Guru, the rays of the sun will nourish, rather than burn, the lotus. 

• Very well said prabhu ji, nice that u realized without serving a Guru and Vaishnava and without following guru's instructions you cannot do focussed and recognized chanting. 

That is all right!

But your question is :--

"some practical realizations you have had"

What did u mean by practical??  

As far as I know the definition of practical is -- not theoretical or ideal.

Hare Krishna..

• I would say that the practical realization is that we must do some practical seva which is pleasing to our Gurudeva, and that will energize our chanting and push us forward. Everything will come from this seva. 

Nothing else really seems to matter on its own. For example, if we think that I must do this this and that, like a checklist of things before, while and after chanting, then our behavior becomes akin to some form of karma kanda. But certainly, things such as waking up early, showering, offering prayers, etc. are all good, being important auxiliary methods for shoring up our sadhana and consciousness. 

I personally like to go for walks at a nearby park while chanting japa. While I'm chanting japa I am remembering the instructions of Bhaktivinoda Thakura. I am remembering the importance of sambandha-jnana, for example. I will repeat various supporting mantras to focus the mind so it will become more present in the hearing the Holy Name, which is the sum and substance of my personal existence. 

Practically I have realized that more than anything else, my sadhana is energized by seva and thus association with senior vaisnavas.

While chanting in the park, I will make a conscious effort to be more humble than a blade of grass, more tolerant than a tree and to give respect and honor to others. I am able to practice this consciousness due to the grace of that ontological knowledge given by Sri Guru, which is nicely presented throughout Harinam Cintamani: 

“The Absolute Truth reveals His variegated character through His energies, which are inseparable from His very existence (abhinna). His energies create the variegated spiritual world which is prerequisite to rasa.” Hc p83

Krishna is the independent principal conscious entity, and the energies are His attributes. They can never be independent. Krishna may be called vibhu, the omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent master, and the manifestations from His energies-all other existing phenomena-may be called vaibhava, the opulent expressions of His factual existence. Yet, even in the midst of unlimited, countless energies scattered throughout endless time, Krishna remains separate and independent in His original form. It is through these energies, these vaibhava of the vibhu, that the Lord's presence can be perceived.” Hc p6

The sastras declare that there is not the least difference between Krishna and Krishna's name because the real nature of His name is spiritual-the holy name manifests Himself as the caitanya-rasa-vigraha of Krishna.” Hc p90

While chanting on a 'seva high', I try to see everything around me in connection with the Center, Bhagavan, not by analysis or visualization but by hearing. I chant while understanding that everything around me is a vaibhava of the vibhu, manifestations of the Lord's energies. 

I find this greatly inspiring and when that quality of chanting inevitably withdraws from my experience, I become a bit despondent and begin to hear the call of "seva!" 

So for me, being a beginner, seva and sambandha-jnana are most practical for me. 

Is this helpful for anyone else? I have tended to get caught up in the "dos" and "don't" too much, and I lose taste for chanting the Holy Name. The means and the end is surrender, and all the rules and regulations are to assist this internal, transcendental process to go on and on. 

Hare Krsna 

• Hmm.. so are your practical approach is not about really following all that within the checklist do's and do.

What do u mean by Sambandha- Jnana? 

And why are you feeling like loss of taste in chanting ..being caught up in do's and don't. WHat are the dos' and don't which you are finding most difficult to follow.??

Pls. do write in ur own words not from books I want to understand what does it mean to you.

HK dandavat pranam sorry for troubling you. I want to learn from you what it means to you what is Sambhandha- Jnana. Pls. don't post from books teach me in ur own words, if possible.

I am very glad that you are very well read person.  

Hope I am not troubling you.

Hare Krishna.

• Dandavats to all, 

Thank you das anu das for sharing that document. Some nice prayers and guidelines!

It's so nice to hear such clear conceptions of the Holy Name and how to properly chant it in such humility. 

I wanted to share another quote from Harinam Cintamani: 

“If one thoroughly understands namabhasa, one’s chanting of the holy name will become pure.” Hc

In some of the prayers from the document shared by das anu das prabhu and the comments of Radha Rasamayi DD, we see knowledge or proper understanding of oneself in relation to Krsna and His energies. 

Here is an outline of Chapter 3 in HC: 

Ch3: Namabhasa

“If one thoroughly understands namabhasa, one’s chanting of the holy name will become pure.” Hc

Namabhasa is caused by avidya and anarthas:

• mist of avidya: 3 types
      • not knowing the spiritual nature of the name
      • not knowing Krsna is the Supreme Absolute Truth
      • not knowing one’s own transcendental nature as infinitesimal part of Krsna and His world, thus one takes shelter of the world of impermanence and illusion
    • cloud of anarthas: 3 types
      • thirst for material objects (asat-trishna)
        • of this world
        • of heavenly sense pleasures in the next life
        • mystic yoga powers
        • Brahman liberation
      • miserliness of the heart (hridaya-daurbalya)
        • attachment to trifling things unrelated to Krishna
        • deceit
        • envy of others’ progress
        • longing for position and fame
      • offense (aparadha)
        • to the holy name
        • to Krishna Himself  (sevaparadha)
        • to Krishna’s devotees
        • to other living entities

Importance of Sambandha-jnana

The living entity will continue under the shadow of namabhasa as long as he is ignorant of sambandha-tattva, the basic facts concerning the jiva, God and the material nature, and their mutual relationship. However, when the serious student takes shelter of a bona fide guru, by force of his effective [recognized] spiritual practice he can remove the obstructions blocking the sun of the holy name.[...] After the bonafide guru gives sambandha-jnana,he instructs the disciple on the practice of culturing the holy name (sadhana-bhakti). This is called abhideya or process.”Hc

“Knowledge means knowing Krsna is the Lord, that the living entities are His servants, and that the material world is a non-conscious gross manifestation or by-product of the Lord.” Hc

3 Elements of Sambandha-jnana:

• Krsna - the Purusottama, saktiman, etc
    • Jivas - the infinitesimal part and parcels of Bhagavan
    • Prakrti - (specifically apara-prakrti) the sakti of Saktiman

• *plus their interrelationships

With the reception of sambandha-jnana and the execution of sadhana-bhakti, the coverings of avidya and anarthas will dissipate by the power of the holy name. The brilliant light of prema will then shine unobstructed.

So need to purify our minds with the sound vibration of higher opinion, or in other words, authoritative testimony. Then we will better be able to hear and focus on the Holy Name. 

sincerely,

Purusottam Das

• pls click Prayer%20Power.docx - shared mercifully to me by elder devotees, thank you very much _/|\_

AGTSP

• Dandavats to all, 

Happy to see this discussion get such quality replies. I pray we can all go deeper into the Holy Name by this process of discussion. 

Only rarely have I been able to chant 16 round per day, especially at a single sitting. However, when I have, it has indeed proven to be a potent practice. It is certainly by Srila Prabhupada's grace and potency that so many devotees are chanting with such strength. 

• When my mind wanders into karma and mundane jnana, I entice it back to hear the holy name by explaining to it the meaning of the Holy Name: 
        • “With a happy heart, one should recollect the meaning and form of the holy name and should pray to Krishna with a heart-rending lamentation, and this will draw the grace of Krishna which will lead him onward in the path of bhajana; or else, births will pass in vain like karmis and frustrated jnanis.” Hc
        • “The living entity will continue under the shadow of namabhasa as long as he is ignorant of sambandha-tattva, the basic facts concerning the jiva, God and the material nature, and their mutual relationship." Hc
        • remembering acintya-bhedabheda-tattva as fundamental principle of sambandha-jnana:
          • Krishna is the independent principal conscious entity, and the energies are His attributes. They can never be independent. Krishna may be called vibhu, the omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent master, and the manifestations from His energies-all other existing phenomena-may be called vaibhava, the opulent expressions of His factual existence. Yet, even in the midst of unlimited, countless energies scattered throughout endless time, Krishna remains separate and independent in His original form. It is through these energies, these vaibhava of the vibhu, that the Lord's presence can be perceived.” Hc p6

• “The sastras declare that there is not the least difference between Krishna and Krishna's name because the real nature of His name is spiritual-the holy name manifests Himself as the caitanya-rasa-vigraha of Krishna.” Hc p90

Hopefully more to follow with some input and discussion from everyone.

sincerely, 

Purusottam Das

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

You have mentioned “With a happy heart, one should recollect the meaning and form of the holy name and should pray to Krishna with a heart-rending lamentation, "

PLease can you explain this - happy heart and heart rending lamentation - how does both happen together?

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Dandavats Mataji, 

PAMHO. 

This is a quote from Harinam Cintamani. Here is more of the quote for better context:

"With a happy heart, one should recollect the meaning and form of the holy name and should pray to Krishna with a heart-rending lamentation, and this will draw the grace of Krishna which will lead him onward in the path of bhajana; or else, births will pass in vain like karmis and frustrated jnanis.”

The way I see this, is that we ought to always remember that surrender is the essence of all the instructions, rules and regulations given by Srila Prabhupada and all the acaryas. If we can remember this, and lament our fallen condition in a sincere way, yet being hopeful and happy in our faith in the Holy Name, we can chant without offense and stay away from karma and jnana. 

We are happy in our faith, and that faith is strengthened when we actually understand our lamentable condition and how lowly we actually are without Krsna's grace. In this state of mind or consciousness, we can begin to see the grace of God everywhere in our life and in the environment in general. 

What do you think Mataji? This is my understanding. Surrender is everything and we must therefore be humble yet hopeful and happy in our faith of attracting the merciful glances of our Lord. 

sincerely, 

Purusottam Das

• E-Counselor

THank you very much prabhuji. I agree with you, the entire sadhana is so that we surrender to the Lord, in the right mood. 

The way I understand is - we have to think of the lord and His pastimes in a happy mood, then feel separation from Him and therefore cry out His  name as the mahamantra in helpless lamentation.

Honestly, I have not been able to do it. Sometimes, I feel sorry for myself - chanting for so long, still not developed interest in chanting, no love of God, no hankering for spiritual progress, happy in my material condition.... I feel really helpless, fallen. When will I develop love for the Supreme Lord? 

That bhajan is there - nayana jamuna jhare anibara, tomara birahe Giridhari, Krsna Murari Sri Krsna Murari... (part of mama mana mandire, raho nishidin). Whenever I hear those words, I feel so inadequate. How many times my eyes have shed tears for the lord? My tears are centred around "me" and people I consider "mine". That is the beauty of our vaishnav bhajans - even one bhajan if we try to imbibe in our lives, we will grow so much spiritually.

My heart is made of stone, or is empty. PLease pray for me prabhuji.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

This reply was deleted.