Dandavats to all who may read this,Japa is so essential to our growth in bhakti. Modern lifestyles present many challenges to establishing a peaceful, disciplined mind able to concentrate and hear the Holy Name.What are some practical realizations you have had in this regard which help you chant without or with less offense?Sincerely,Purusottama DasSalt Lake City, Utah USA

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would like to share a realization which I observed with chanting. If u get used to chanting it becomes so much routine habit that ur mouth will utter the holy name out of nowhere even subconsciously it keeps on happening.

Once it so happened that I had to be in India and I felt somehow the traffic on the lanes of India have now drastically increased when compared to previous times when I was in India now.. that I am in USA and been less exposed to so much traffic and sounds honking vehicles..being a housewife I am used to living at home also. Not being exposed to so much traffic. When I had been to India this time when I had to cross the roads I felt some sort of internal fear. While crossing the road without knowing myself I was chanting all the while. I noticed later after crossing that in the background of my mind subconsciously I was chanting all the while.

Previously it was not like this.  I must say one thing that.. when u get used to chanting taking holy name for everything.. You will realize Lord presence in everything and everywhere. Completely surrendering yourself to HIM.  He is capable to make you cross road and also capable to make you cross ocean of nescience also. CHANTING MAKES YOU FEARLESS. Just have firm faith in the holy name.  

You will also know you are not the doer and you will realize in every situation that everything happens for a reason. Everything happens because of the will of Lord. You will understand this and ur false ego will break.

You will slowly learn to surrender to Lord. This is all happening internally when you chant without your realization.

Hare Krishna.

• Think of the Lord's form when chanting. Don't think of anything/anyone else. Only the Lord or guru.

• Volunteer

Following +

Hare krsna

• hare krishna dandavat pranaam _/|\_ 

some tips given by experienced devotees - 

mandatory to say shikshashtakam prayers & read the ten offenses 

Japa Tips

1.Chant early in the morning, if possible 5 am to 7 am
    2.Chant along with Srila Prabhupada's japa tape
    3.Chant with good chanters (when possible)
    4.Record your chanting so you can hear whether you skip syllables
    5.Read at least one inspiring text a day from Srila Prabhupada's books about chanting (like the compilation "The Nectar of the Holy Name")
    6.After each 16 rounds, write down in your journal how many rounds you have actually heard
    7.Chant all 16 round in one go (this is very powerful!)
    8. Above all, pray to Lord Krsna and to namacarya Srila Haridasa Thakura to improve your japa
    9.Turn off the mobile phone
    10.Don't turn on the laptop/PC
    11.Don't get into conversations unless absolutely urgent
    12.When mind wanders away, bring it back and focus on the sound
    13.Chant feelingly, not mechanically

14. Chant in front of Srimati Tulasi Maharani.

15. On Ekadashi days try to chant minimum of 25 rounds.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Very good discussion thread. We should share our realisations related to japa. After all, japa is like vouching (in accounting language. Vouching done properly means 50% of audit is over). One realisation is - early morning chanting or late night chanting is the best, when there is no disturbance. Another thing I have noticed is - chanting 16 at a stretch is magical. I normally do more than 16 rounds as committed rounds. Still, I try to the extent possible to chant 16 at a stretch. That done anytime of the day, will immediately elevate one to a different platform. 

Please share your realisations prabhuji.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

This reply was deleted.