Hare Krishna and dandavat pranam to all the devotees...

We often quote the below verse from the 'Padma Purana' to ascertain the validity of any Sampraday :

"atah kalau bhavisyanti catvarah sampradayinah | sri-brahma-rudra-sanaka vaisnavah ksiti-pavanah ||

ramanujam srih svcakre madhvacaryam caturmukhah | sri-visnu-svaminam rudro nimbadityam catuhsanah ||"

However, Padma Purana, though written by Srila Vyasa, has gradually lost its relevance, due to later additions of false shlokas and editing of existing shlokas by several pandits.

My query is, can we claim the authority of four Sampradaya by quoting shlokas from other authorised scriptures ?

Your servant

Harshikesh Bhattacharya

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Dear Rahul Prabhuji,

Thanks for the efforts... Can you please reproduce the original sanskrit text of the verse 10:61:23-26 of Garga Samhita ?

As regards the authenticity of Padma Purana, in the society of Vedic and Sanskrit scholars, it has no relevance as it has been rendered unaunthentic due to continuous distortions and twisting of texts by many pandits, inorder to establish their personal philosophy. Hence, although our beloved Prabhupada has accepted is as authoritative, it would be unacceptable to quote when debating externally. 

Your servant,

Harshikesh Bhattacharya

• Volunteer

Hare Krsna,PAMHO. All glories to Srila Prabhupada

The statement of padma purana is accepted by all four sampradayas. From your statement it seems you have already accepted what the so called scholars, arya samaj , indologists says. This people even some time says Deity worship, Krishna,Rama all are bogus mythology. Why are believing them and not believing what the acharyas says ? what is the value of their statement ? The people who are claiming scriptures are distored what is value of those statements?

Ramanujacharya,Madhvacharya,Vallavacharya,Chaitanya all are legends of Hindu world. They were not armchair vedantists who smoke cigar in one hand and give statement on vedanta. They led their life according to vedanta and made impact in the life of people. Now it is up to us whether to believe a so called atheist scholar or a saint who has sacrifice wordly pleasures for the sake of uplifting the ignorant souls like us.

yas,

Sudipta

Hari Bol

• Dear Sudipto Prabhuji,

As original Padma Purana has been written by Srila Vyasji, there is no reason I can doubt the authoritativeness. But, as the time passed, it was gradually distorted by several pundits to suit their own aims and purposes. So, currently, there is no authentic copy of Padma Purana available anywhere. Not to believe the currently available unauthentic version of Padma Purana can not be called as siding with the atheists.

Hare Krishna

Harshikesh Bhattacharya 

• Volunteer

/*But, as the time passed, it was gradually distorted by several pundits to suit their own aims and purposes. So, currently, there is no authentic copy of Padma Purana available anywhere.*/

I have never heard any Acharyas Ramanuja,Madhva,Nimbarka,Vallabhacharya,Chaitanya said that. What is the basis of your statement ? you are saying this means you are accepting the authority who are claiming this , this means you are believing in them.

If I say Gita is also distorted , upanisads are also ,then ???

yas,

Sudipta

• Dear Sudipto Prabhuji,

Please calm down. I am not siding with any atheists or Mayavadis or any other opposed to the Vaishnava school of philosophy. If you desire to judge the current authenticity of Padma Purana, kindly compare the Padma Purana published by various Sampradays and you will yourself find correctness of my statement.

As far as Bhagvad Gita and the principle ten Upanishads are concerned, they have an impeccable reputation of being free from distortions. However, 'Upanishad' like kali-santarana Upanishad are not authentic but, invented.

HK

Harshikesh Bhattacharya 

This reply was deleted.