Sankaracharya accepting Krishna as Supreme.

Hare Krishna all Devotees,

Dandavat Pranam,

Shankaracharya later in his life rejected his own impersonalistic teachings and taught devotion to Krishna because his impersonal teachings were simply a temporary tactic to defeat Buddhism and re-establish Vedic culture. Once this was accomplished he was then free to reveal his actual desire, that we should all surrender to Krishna.

Bhaja Govindam and Nrmismha Stotra are two of his works on supreme personality.

sucharu vaktra mandalam, sukarnh ratna kundalam

suchchirtaang chandanam, namaami nand nandanam ||1||

The round face of Lord Krishna is so very lovely, and the preciouskundals adorning his ears so attractive. His body smeared with the paste of sandalwood is beautifully scented. We bow to Lord Krishna, the illustrious son of Nanda.

sudeergh netra pankajam, shikhee shikhand moordhjam

anang koti mohanam, namaami nand nandanam ||2||

Lord Sri Krishna has large lotus-like eyes.His head is decked with feathers of a peacock's tail.Krishna enchants the whole world as millions of devotees are ardently drawn to him. We bow to Lord Krishna, the joyous son of Nanda.

sunasikagra mauktikam, svachh dant panktikam

navaambudaag chikkanam, namaami nand nandanam ||3||

lord Krishna, the tip of whose nose glistens with a beautiful pearl and whose line of teeth is sparkling white. His cheeks are so very smooth and He is the true Lord of the Universe. We bow to Lord Krishna, the distinguished son of Nanda.

karen venu ranjitam, gati kareendra ganjitam

dukool peet sushobhnam, namaami nand nandanam ||4||

Krishna holds the delightful flute in His hands. His gait is graceful like an elephant's and He is dressed in yellow silk garments which are most becoming.We bow to Lord Krishna, the illustrious son of Nanda.

Tribhang deh sundaram, nakhdhutee sudhaakaram

amoolya ratna bhooshnam, namaami nand nandanam ||5||

Lord Krishna is depicted playing the flute in the tribhang mudra with bent legs, hips and neck. His nails shine like moonbeams and He is decked with priceless ornaments studded with precious stones. We bow to Lord Krishna, the delightful son of Nanda.

Sugandh ang saurabham, uro viraajit kaustubham

sphuraachchee mauktikam, namaami nand nandnam ||6||

The fragrant limbs of Lord Krishna exude a certain fragrance. The kaustubh mani is resplendent on His chest whereas the radiant pearl glistens on his nose. We bow to the beautiful son of Nanda.

Vrindavan sunaagram, vilaasunaag vaassam

surendra garv mochnam, namaami nand nandnam ||7||

Lord Krishna is the star attraction of Vrindavan with every action of His being so very majestic. He lifted mount Goverdhan and triumphed over the ego of Indra. We bow to Lord Krishna, the valiant son of Nanda.

Vrajaangna sunaayakam, sadaa sukh pradaayakam

jagan manah pralobhnam, namaami nand nandnam ||8||

The gopis of Vraja adulate dark-hued Krishna as their saviour. He bestows eternal joy on hungering devotees of the entire world who are invariably drawn to Him. We bow to Lord Krishna, the enchanting son of Nanda.

Shri nand nandnam ashtakam, pathed ya shradha na vitah

tared bhavaabdee dustaram labhet dranghee yukta kam ||

Whosoever chants these eight stanzas, singing the glories of Lord Krishna, with sincere devotion will easily cross over the ocean of this temporal world.Such is the blessing granted by Adi Shankaracharya ji, the composer of this ashtakam.

Is there anything else Sankaracharya told about krishna glorifying he is supreme ?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Parthaya Pratibodhitam- these verses are written by Sri Madhusudanan Saraswati in his Gudartha Dipika not Adi Sankara as far as I know

• Volunteer

It is controversial , some say Madhusudana Saraswati wrote it ,some say Sridhar Swami

and some say no one ,it have been coming from time immemorial and is a part of Veda .

• Sevak

Sankaracarya’s Gita commentary

sa-hetukasya sasārasyātyantoparamātmakam 
    para
    niśreyasa gītā-śāstrasyokta prayojanam 
    sac-cid-ānanda-rūpa
    tat pūra viṣṇo para padam 

[Shankara said that] the purpose of the Gita is to attain the supreme good, which is defined as the complete cessation ofsasāra and its causes. That goal is known as the supreme abode of Vishnu, the form of eternal life, consciousness and bliss. (2-3)

In his Gita commentary (13.2), isvara(Supreme Lord) is identified with Visnu: isvarasya visnoh.

• Sevak

Sankaracarya's Govindastakam:

satyam jnanam anantam nityam anakasam paramakasam

Please bow down to Govinda, supreme bliss personified. He is the Absolute Truth, as well as unlimited and eternal knowledge.

mrtsnam atsiheti yasoda-tadana-saisava-santrasam

vyadita-vaktralokita-lokaloka-caturdasa-lokalim 

loka-traya-pura-mula-stambham lokalokam analokam

lokesam paramesam pranamata govindam paramanandam

Please bow down to Govinda, supreme bliss personified. Though He is the supreme master of the universe, He seemed to become frightened like an ordinary infant when Mother Yasoda chastised Him. When she asked, Are You eating mud? He opened His mouth to prove He had not-and showed her the fourteen planetary systems, including Lokaloka Mountain. He is the supporting pillar for this citylike universe of three worlds. Though He is beyond all vision, He is the source of everyone's vision.

gopalam bhu-lila-vigraha-gopalam kula-gopalam

gopi-khelana-govardhana-dhrta-lila-lalita-gopalam

gobhir nigadita-govinda-sphuta-namanam bahu-namanam

gopi-gocara-duram pranamata govindam paramanandam

Please bow down to Govinda, supreme bliss personified. That protector of cows appeared in the form of a cowherd among the cowherds to perform His pastimes on earth, such as lifting Govardhana Hill to protect the cowherds and dallying with the cowherd damsels. Even the cows called Him by the name Govinda. He has unlimited names, is distinct among the cowherd boys, and is beyond the reach of the gopis' senses [when He goes to the forest during the day, or when He resides in Mathura or Dvaraka].

gopi-mandala-gosthi-bhedam bhedavastham abhedabham

sasvad go-khura-nirdhutoddhat-dhuli-dhusara-saubhagyam

sraddha-bhakti-grhitanandam acintyam cintita-sad-bhavam

cintamanim ahimanam pranamata govindam paramanandam

Please bow down to Govinda, supreme bliss personified. He enters the assembly of cowherd damsels and divides them into groups for His pastimes. He is simultaneously different from and one with everything. He considers it His good fortune to be always smeared with the dust raised by the cows' hooves. He is pleased by faith and devotion. Though He is inconceivable, His pastimes are the object of meditation. He is like a transcendental touchstone.

snana-vyakula-yosid-vastram upadayagam uparudham

vyaditsantir atha dig-vastra hy upadatum upakarsantam

nirdhuta dvaya-soka-vimoham buddham buddher antah-stham

satta-matra-sariram pranamata govindam paramanandam

Please bow down to Govinda, supreme bliss personified. He stole the bathing damsels' clothes and climbed a tree with them, and when the naked maidens asked for their clothes back, He told them to come closer. He dispels lamentation and delusion. He is knowledge personified, realized by intelligence, and is also the personification of pure existence.

kantam karana-karanam adim anadim kalam anabhasam

kalindi-gata-kaliya-sirasi muhur muhuh sunrtyantam /

kalam kala-kalatitam kalitasesam kali-dosa-ghnam

kala-traya-gati-hetum pranamata govindam paramanandam // 7 //

Please bow down to Govinda, supreme bliss personified. He is most beautiful. He is the original cause of all causes, and He has no cause. He is free from all superimpositions of illusion. He danced wonderfully on the hoods of the Kaliya serpent in the Yamuna. Though He is time, He is beyond all divisions of time. He knows everything, He destroys the defects of Kali-yuga, and He is the source of past, present, and future.

vrndavana-bhuvi vrndaraka-gana-vrndaradhyam vande 'ham

kundabhamala-manda-smera-sudhanandam suhrd-anandam

vandyasesa-maha-muni-manasa-vandyananda-pada-dvandvam

vandyasesa-gunabdhim pranamata govindam paramanandam

Please bow down to Govinda, supreme bliss personified. He is the reservoir of all worshipable qualities. All worshipable saintly persons worship His blissful lotus feet within their hearts. He is my worshipful Lord. All the demigods, and Shrimati Vrndadevi as well, worship Him in the land of Vrndavana. His pure and beautiful smile emanates bliss like a kunda flower pouring forth nectar. He gives transcendental ecstasy to His cowherd friends.

govindastakam etad adhite govindarpita-ceta yo

govindacyuta madhava visno gokula-nayaka krsneti 

govindanghri-saroja-dhyana-sudha-jala-dhauta-samastagho

govindam paramanandamrtam antah-sthah sa samabhyeti

Anyone who who recites this Govindastaka, who fixes his mind on Govinda, and who sweetly chants, `O Govinda, Acyuta, Madhava, Vishnu, Gokula-nayaka, Krishna,' thus cleansing away all his sins with the ambrosial water of meditation on the lotus feet of Lord Govinda-such a soul will certainly attain Lord Govinda, the supreme, everlasting bliss of the heart.

• Volunteer

Kalady in kerala the birthplace of Adi Shankara, where he established a temple of Lord Krishna. which is known as Kalady Shree Krishna temple

• Volunteer

Viveka Chudamani by Adi Shankara

1. I bow to Govinda, whose nature is Bliss Supreme, who is the Sadguru, who can be known only from the import of all Vedanta, and who is beyond the reach of speech and mind.

• Volunteer

Eight Pada on Krishna (krishnastakam by adi shankara)

Sing salutations to The only ornation of Vraj, Who destroys every sin (among us), Who is continuous bliss for His devotees, and Who is the dear one of Nanda. I bow to naughty Krishna, Who has beautiful bunch of peacock feathers on head, Who has a sweet sounding flute in hands, and Who is inseparable from God and is full of colorful actions.||1||

I bow to The lotus-eyed One, Whose beauty slays the pride of Kamdev (Manoj), Who has fulsome lips and beautiful big eyes, Who removed the thoughts of obstacles from cow-rearers (gopa). I bow to head-elephant-like-carefree Krishna, Who lifted a mountain in His lotus like hands, Whose smile and gaze is enticing, and Who slayed the pride of Indra¹.||2||

I bow to Krishna, Who is hard to get, Who has beautiful earrings made of flowers of kadamba-tree, Who has two beautiful cheeks, Who is the only dear One of land of Vraj. I bow to Krishna as cow-rearing-leader, Who is supreme bliss when viewed with Yashoda, Cow-rearers, and Nand.||3||

I bow to the son of Nanda, Whose lotus-feet is always immersed in the maan-sarovar like lake of my mind, Who has beautiful curls falling upon his face. I bow to the delight of Nand, Who is absolver of all defects (in us), Who looks after everyone in this world, and Who is the heart of every Gopa or cow-rearer.||4||

I bow to the heart-stealer, Who relieved earth of heavy weight² (of humans), Who is the support for us to cross the ocean of life and death, and Who is the young son of Yashoda. I bow to the son of Nand, Who has beautiful glancing eyes, Who is always accompanied by bumble-bees³, and Who appears new to His devotee, everytime, and leaves them mesmerized.||5||

I bow to the dear one of Gopas, Who is the abode of qualities, mercy, and happiness, and does not needs any mercy from anyone, and Who relieved the problems of demi-gods. I bow to cloud-colored beautiful one, Who is a new cowherd rearer and playful, Who is always thinking of new ways to mesmerize the mortals, and Who is wearing yellow lightening like robes.||6||

I bow to Krishna, Who roamed amidst the gardens of Vraj, Who is dear to every cow-rearer in Vraj, Who is the only happiness for heart, and Who has a sun like resplendent face. I bow to Krishna, Who is the leader of everyone in gardens of Vraj, Who is desireless but fulfils desire of everyone, Whose glances are like beautiful enticing arrows, and Who sings mesmerizing tunes over flute.||7||

I bow to The consort of Lakshmi, Who slept in the bed-like-dreams of young gopikas in Vraj, Who swallowed the forest and garden fire inside Vraj to save His fellows, Who is surrounded by the divine glow, Who is decorated in every way, and Who gave moksha to Gajendra, the elephant king×.||8||

O Lord! Whenever or wherever I am born, may I be immersed in Your beautiful ornate stories. Whomsoever sings the two Krishnashtaka (this one and one more by Shankaracharya), and meditates on it shall be born with Krishna bhakti in every life.||9||

Notes:

¹Indra sent clouds to flood and damage whole of Vraj and Krishna saved Vraj by lifting the mountain Govardhan. In yet another incident, Indra with army fought with Krishna when Krishna and Satyabhama wanted to take it away from heaven. Seeing the first pada, I presume, the last sentence refers to Govardhan incident.

² Earth gets crowded with time and Lord appears to slay off and provide salvation to numerous humans. This is called as relieving weight of earth.

³ Krishna appears with divine ornation during His incarnation. Of them, ‘‘Lakshmi-mark’’ on chest, ‘‘Kaustubh-jewel’’ in neck, ‘‘Tulsi-garland’’ in neck, blue cloud likebody, etc., are cited many times. Due to non-decaying ‘‘Tulsi-garland’’ in neck, bumble-bees always flock around it to sip on the divine nectar.

× Gajendra, an elephant, was cursed by Sage Agastya in his human body for neglecting the kingdom for seeking moksha. He was trapped by a crocodile in a river and then Vishnu (Krishna) freed him from the crocodile trap.

Poet: Adi Shankaracharya.

Source: Stotra Ratnavali— Gitapress.

Krishnashtakam by Adi Shankaracharya
    Krishnashtakam by Adi Shankaracharya
  • Volunteer

Shri Gita Mahatmya

By Adi Sankaracarya

parthaya pratibodhitam bhagavata narayanena svayam

vyasena grathitam purana-munina madhya-mahabharatam /

advaitamrta-varsinim bhagavatim-asta-dasadhyayinim

amba tvam anusam dadhami bhagavad-gite bhagavad-vesinim // 1 //

O Bhagavad-gita,