Hare Krishna..

every now n then i keep on explaining benefits of a Vegetarian diet to my friends..

i was wondering that it would be really appreciable if all the devotees could put up the possible reasons regarding "why be a Vegetarian".. in this Thread..

if possible, whatever cross questions you have faced and answered , eg - even plants are living beings?, can also be put up..

this will help others in dealing with the outside world people and helping them in becoming Vegetarian:

also, please provide reasons which will look practical to people, i mean, to many of them, we just can not simply say "that god has forbidden", they take that statement too lightly..

few of the reasons, ive listed below..

thnks.

Most vegetarians are people who have understood that to contribute towards a more peaceful society we must first solve the problem of violence in our own hearts. So it's not surprising that thousands of people from all walks of life have, in their search for truth, become vegetarian. Vegetarianism is an essential step towards a better society, and people who take the time to consider its advantages, will be in the company of such thinkers as Pythagoras, Socrates, Plato, Clement of Alexandria, Plutarch, King Asoka, Leonardo da Vinci, Montaigne, Akbar, John Milton, Sir Isaac Newton, Emanuel Swedenbourg, Voltaire, Benjamin Franklin, Jean Jacques Rousear, Lamartine, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, Leo Tolstoy, George Bernard Shaw, Rabindranath Tagore, Mahatma Gandhi, Albert Schweitzer, and Albert Einstein.

A Vegetarian diet reverses heart diseases,
In a report to the British medical journal The Lancet, D.C.R. Sirtori concluded that people with the type of high cholesterol associated with heart disease "may benefit from a diet in which protein comes only from vegetables."

Why do meat-eaters seem more prone to these diseases? One reason given by biologists and nutritionists is that man's intestinal tract is simply not suited for digesting meat. Flesh-eating animals have short intestinal tracts (three times the length of the animal's body), to pass rapidly decaying toxin-producing meat out of the body quickly. Since plant foods decay more slowly than meat, plant-eaters have intestines at least six times the length of the body. Man has the long intestinal tract of a herbivore, so if he eats meat, toxins can overload he kidneys and lead to gout, arthritis, rheumatism and even cancer.

n above all, all creations of god have an equal right to live.. even animals feel pain, if we can not spare the "weaker" ones, then we can never attain a higher level in life..

quotes:
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." - Albert Einstein.

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian."

PAUL MCCARTNEY, quoted in The Vegetarian Manifesto

"I do feel that spiritual progress does demand, at some stage, that we should cease to kill our fellow creatures for the satisfaction of our bodily wants."

MAHATMA GANDHI, quoted in Food As Medicine

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground--everything that has the breath of life in it--I give every green plant for food."

BIBLE, Genesis 1:29-30

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows."

GEORGE BERNARD SHAW, The Star, Apr. 5, 1890

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thankyou for the links pr.

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Devotees. Dandavat Pranam. All glories to Srila Prabhupada

Actually It happens so that how much we try to propagate Veg but still people don't listen even knowing the fact that it is detrimental to the health and mind and they are acquiring bad karma. It is so because the senses are very much strong , and among them the tongue is voracious . As Bhaktivinoda Thakur says:

sarira avidya-jal jodendriya tahe kal
    jive phele visaya-sagore
    ta'ra madhye jihwa ati, lobhamoya sudurmati
    ta'ke jeta kathina samsare

["This material body is a lump of ignorance and the senses are a network of paths leading to death. We have fallen into this ocean of material sense enjoyment. Of all the senses the tongue is the most difficult to control and is always very greedy to taste things. (Sarira Avidya-Jal, verse 1)]

So sometimes people takes non-veg because they can't control their toungue and they haven't experience the higher taste. So to really propagate veg world-wide better way is to propogate the wholy name first. Beacuse Holy name is so strong that it will gradually cut -off all the desire of meat-eating.

So if we can propagate the holy name and convince people to chant, leaving non-veg will be the side-effect..:) . They will be forced to leave flesh -eating. Else if we simply advertised using slogan they are not-going to buy the concept because they may want but they have no solution to control their tongue.

your aspiring servant

Hari Bol

• thankyou pr..

• Volunteer

Prabhuji, please see this web site :  http://totalveg.com/

there are lots of blogs about vegetarianism.

And plus wonderful recipes by so many nice Matajis and Prabhujis.

Your servant, 

• thankyou for the link, mataji :)

• Sevak

Very nice statement Siddhartha Prabhu:"its a stomach not a graveyard".

Hahahaha.

Hari Bol! 

• nice one Siddharta pr, jai :)

This reply was deleted.