Reading Srimad Bhagwatam

Hare Krishna,

It has been told by advanced devotees that Srimad Bhagwatam is meant for advanced devotees.

How can one be sure if he is advanced enough to understand this transendental science of Bhagwatam and start reading that ?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

no, because we are fallen we have to read and chant. In Goloka Vrindavan they are living Srimad Bhagavatam we at least have to read Bhagavatam, aren't we?!

Your servant, 

• Volunteer

yes, because our hearts are like sacks of dirt we have to read Srimad Bhagavatam. The chanting of the Holy Name is also a very high standard. It says that in order to be able to chant minimum 16 rounds in this life time one had chanted Hare Krishna Maha Mantra for 100 lives.

So it is a very high standard. But we are not saying that 'no i am not qualified to chant, i am dirty' no we know that we are dirty and it is the process of cleaning. Our body when we wake up early in the morning is dirty and water is pure so it does not mean we should not touch the water, does it?!

On the contrary it is the only way of becoming pure.

So Srimad Bhagavatam is pure and only if start to read we will become pure there is no other way.

Your servant, 

• Volunteer

oh why Prabhuji? 

One Canto within 2 months if we read 1-2 hours a day. And our goal is not to finish only but relish the book isn't it?!

I used to work half day from 9 till 12 then housework cooking, cleaning....then when everybody goes to sleep i used to take out Srimad Bhagavatam and read. Because i was afraid of my parents. 

So within a year up to 10th Canto. So it is quite possible if we have desire and if we feel tired of this sufferings.

Your servant, 

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna dear Devotees, please accept my humble obeisances! All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

In the reality book distributors distribute books to everyone no matter they even started to chant or do not.

Each Canto can be read separately. Because commentaries of Srila Prabhupada bring one to the point of chanting and hearing no matter it is 1st Canto or 10th.

So we are fortunate to read Bhagavatam along with Srila Prabhupada's commentaries.

And if we want to progress in spiritual life it is highly recommended to read Books.

There are 9 main, powerful methods of service. Among them 5 are prominent and powerful by themselves:

1. Chanting the Holy Names

2. Reading Srimad Bhagavatam

3. Residing in Holy Places

4. Association of Devotees - Bhagavatas

5. Deity worship

So if we want to progress in this life in this difficult age of Kali we have to do all these five.

It says that reading Srimad Bhagavatam or attending Srimad Bhagavtam class is none different from kissing Krishna :D And dancing in Harinaam Sankirtan is not different than rasa dance.

It is true we are dirty because of that we have to purify ourselves by gaining knowledge. Knowledge is light which removes darkness.

So only reading Srimad Bhagavatam will please Krishna and we will gain knowledge of Him and serve Him better. Because we will study His qualities and that means we will start to understand Him as a person.

Let's take an example, why our own friend whom we know for 6-7 years is so dear to us but when he leaves us and we remain with person who is not our old friend will it bring happiness?

No. Why? Because new person does not know us, our internal feeling, desires, i do not know his world...so i can not share that which is in my heart...so it will be boring.

But true friends understand each other without words, with their hearts. Why? Because for a long time we studied each other and learned each other's likes and dislikes...

So in this way our goal is to understand Krishna as a Supreme Person - who also has feelings, qualities, wants...and serve Him accordingly.

We can start to do that even now. Even if one does not chant he can start to read Srimad Bhagavatam.

But for better understanding it is better to start from the beginning Cantos.

Your servant,  

• Hare Krishna, I am like your veiws...thnx..

This reply was deleted.