QUERY QUERY QUERY !!!

Hare Krishna !!!

I took new resolution to become fully Krishna conscious and startd observing Ekadashi Fast. One of my coleague asked me significance of Ekadashi. I gave him information about origin and significance of Ekadashi. However he still had following queries:

•Why only 11th day of waxing and waning moon cycle was chosen, why not the 10th or 12th or any other such day?
•Human form is supposed to be doing deeds and misdeeds. If the misdeeds increase, then Paap increases till the human is living. Humans involved more in misdeeds are somewhat like Asurs. It is only death (of more or less sinful humans) which can control Paap. There begins the duty of Yamraja. But death is inevitable, whether sooner or later; the soul liberates or suffers because of deeds. So even if one follows Ekadasi twice and keep on doing misdeeds on other days does not qualify him/her for salvation in my opinion. So there was no reason for Paapurusha to fear?

Can somebody answer these??

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In satya yuga, there was an asura namely mura. he tortured indra, boruna and other debotas very much. so bisnu, along with other debotas began to fight against that mura.The war continued over thousand years. Then aparently, the bisnu got tired and sheltered into a cave and slept. Mura reached there. Then a girl  appeared, fought against him and killed.That very day was the 11th day of moon cycle.To grant the prayer of that girl bisnu agreed to recognise that day as 'ekadoshi'.

HARE KRISNA.

• Thanks Suman for clarifying my doubts...Hare Krishna !!
  • Haribol Akanksha-

Many congratulations on your resolution :)

As reg. your 2 nd query I thnk Papapurusha was scared becoz everyone was following Ekadashi vrata and going to Vaikuntha lok real fast ( bcoz of the benediction of following Ekadashi vrata- read story carefully) - he had no place to stay on Ekadashi day so he cld not do anythng to wield his power on that day.He was scared that if everyone goes to Vaikuntha then his existence has no meaning.

it is actually a matter of details which is not really necesssary.Thing to remember is that Vaishnavas do Ekadashi vrata because it pleases Lord Krishna. As mentioned by other devotees by fasting we reduce demands of the body and devote the time to remembering Krishna

Hope this helps 

YS

dipti

• Hare Krishna Dipti !!

I feel blessed to be in the company of such great devotees. Thanks again for clearing my doubts!!

Humble thanks

Akanksha

• The principle of better than the best can also be applied here to an extent.By following this process sooner or later we can come to the platform of being the best. So there is a gradual evolution of the consciousness to higher understanding that helps us to progress in our spiritual life.

Like for instance when Prop Mohd. was there, he restricted the days for meat eating. Like even in current scenario there are some people who dont eat meat for specific days in Muslim Religion.

I hope it clarifies. Thanks Hare Krsna

• Hare Krsna Prabhu !!

Being a devotee I never asked any query to mum. Surprisingly she also said that observing Ekadashi Fast pleases Sri Krsna as mentioned by Dipti Mata...

It was just for my coleague for whom I raised these queries as I didn't find myself capable enough to answer a person who has just started on the path of Krishna Consciousness.

Thanks for all the support Prabhu !!

• All Glories to Srila Prabhupada

Dandvat Mata Ji

The meaning of Ekadasi

Ekadasi is a day of austerity regularly observed by those who follow sanatana-dharma or Krishna consciousness. “Eka” means “one” and dasi is the feminine form of the word “dasa”, which means “ten”. Ekadasi is thus the eleventh day of both the dark and light fortnight of each month. On these special days, devotees fast from grains and beans and make an extra effort to render devotional service to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Sri Krishna.
    The history of Ekadasi

One must strictly avoid eating grains and beans on Ekadasi. Fasting generally means completely abstaining from both food and drink. Of one finds this impossible, then one should eat a single non-grain meal once in the afternoon or in the evening, which should consist of roots grown underground (except beetroots), fruit, water, milk products, nuts, sugar and vegetables (except mushrooms and onions). If possible, one should not drink water more than once on Ekadasi. Of course, if a complete fast impedes duty, it should not be observed, but the devotee should follow the fasting rules and still meet his responsibilities.

On Ekadasi ins should avoid the following: sleeping during the day, a massage with oil, eating more than once, drinking honey, eating with bell-metal utensils, spinach, honey, eggplant, eating in another’s house, asafetida (hing) and sea salt.

One who observes fasting on Ekadasi is freed from all kinds of reactions to sinful activities and advances in spiritual life. These sacred fasting days greatly help any sincere soul achieve, even within this present lifetime, liberation from the cycle of birth and death. To achieve the full benefit of an Ekadasi fast, the observer must follow the rules and regulations described above. If the rules are properly followed, and if one observes Ekadasi in full Krishna consciousness, this observance elevates a fallen soul to his original, constitutional position as a loving servant of the Lord. Therefore, Ekadasi is called “the best of all occasions”. Ekadasi gives one a real taste of renunciation, thus helping one give up trying to enjoy illusory sense gratification of this material world.

The basic principle is not just to fast, but to increase one’s faith and love for Govinda or Krishna. The real reason for observing fasting on Ekadasi is to minimise the demands of the body and to engage our time in the service of the Lord. The best thing to do on fasting days is to remember the pastimes of Govinda and to hear His holy name constantly.

Ekadashi is always good for everyone whatever he greatest sinner in this world. 

Your Servant 

Ravi Dewangan

• Hare krishna mataji..... all glories to prabhupada....

It is a common practice in most hindu households to observe fast on ekadashi.
    What is special about this day?

Ekadasi in Sanskrit means eleven. `Eka' means " one " and `dasi' 
    form of the word " dasa " , which means " ten " . Ekadasi is thus the eleventh day of
    both the dark and light fortnight of each month. On these special days, devotees
    fast from grains and beans and make an extra effort to be in service to the
    Divine.

There is a beautiful story about the origin of Ekadasi fasting. Once, in the
    Satya-yuga (the golden age) Lord Narayana was enagaged in battle with a demon
    called Mura. Feeling tired, the Lord decided to rest from the long battle.
    However, mura wanted to kill the Lord while he was sleeping. Suddenly from the
    body of the Lord manifested a young girl, who slayed the demon, Mura. This girl
    was the Mahasakti…. Pleased, Narayana gave her the name Ekadasi( as she appeared
    on the eleventh day of the waning moon). He also granted her the boon that
    anyone who fasts on Ekadasi will become free from sin and attain His
    transcendental abode.

There are certain rules regarding fasting on this day. For eg., one must
    strictly avoid eating grains and beans on Ekadasi. Fasting generally means
    completely abstaining from both food and drink. If this is difficult, one may
    eat a single nongrain meal once in the afternoon or in the evening.

According to scriptures, one who observes fasting on Ekadasi is freed from all
    kinds of reactions to sinful activities and advances in spiritual life. These
    sacred fasting days greatly help any sincere soul achieve, even within this
    present lifetime, liberation from the cycle of birth and death, it is said…
    therefore, Ekadasi gives one a real taste of renunciation, thus helping one give
    up trying to enjoy illusory sense gratification of this material world.

The basic principle is not just to fast, but to increase one's faith and love
    for the Divine. The real reason for observing fasting on ekadasi is to minimize
    the demands of the body and to engage our time in the service of the Divine.

I think it may help you regarding your query..

Hare krishna....

your servent..

This reply was deleted.