Purifacatory period

Hare KrishnaThis question is regarding the mandatory purification period as prescribed in hinduism. If a close family member dies, relatives are forbidden from visiting temples, and some say even stopped from recieting holy texts. I would like to know the views of our samprady (gaudia vaishnavism) on this. Can a vaishnava visit the temple after a death in the family and can he chant during the mourning period etc.ThanksHare Krishna

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
  • Volunteer

You can also read the whole Bhagavatam loudly for the sake of the departed soul, which will continue to be around for 13 days or so.

There is  your opportunity to do them the biggest favor any loved one can do. This will surely liberate them!!!!!!

• What if the family has aetheists and do.not appreciate such things :((
      • E-Counselor

Hare Krsna,

PAMHO.

Athiests will anyways not do the basic karma required for the dead. 
        According to me, you dont bother with the athiests, you simply bother about the dead. Nobody can stop you from reading Gita in your room, if you are unable to do at the place of residence of the dead person. Nobpdy can stop you from praying for the dead person by chanting.

Maybe you cannot arrange for kirtan and feast for devotees, thats ok. Maybe you could sponsor one meal in the local ISKCON temple in the name of the departed if you have the means. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hari Bol, very practical adivse mother, my initial question was for a distant relative. However my father is also in terminal condition, and except me everyone else in the family is aethest. I am facing difficulty in chanting or recieting Gita and constantly face ridicule, however your advice is practical as noone can stop one from chanting privately or sending prayers,
          Please pray for him,
          Hari Bol
          Your servant
  • E-Counselor

Hare Krsna,

PAMHO.

Chanting does not stop under any circumstances. Pls continue to chant. 

Normally, what I have seen is that devotees organise a kirtan for the departed soul, call vaishnavas, and feed them prasadam. We can chant all the 700 shlokas of Gita, or 8th Chapter if you dont have time, or 10.8 - 10.11 - 4 shlokas if you dont have time.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

This reply was deleted.