Prayashchitt - how?

Hare Krishna

Suppose in my life, I have committed some serious sins and later on by the mercy of the Lord, have realised my mistakes and i am repenting it. Now that soul wants to improve and is living the life of righteousness. But the fact is in the account of that soul, those past sins are there and will be punished by Yama.

My question is - now that the soul is a surrendered one....what can he do to do "prayahchitt". To nuliffy the past sins. 

Will only chanting nullify all the past major sins? 

I request senior vaishnavas to throw some light on this  and help me with this query.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Pia ji,

PAMHO.

The soul is still in the same body, therefore the memory is there of the past sins committed. Now that the soul is on the path of righteousness, it should use this memory of past sins in this birth to realise that in this birth itself, I have committed so many sins for which I will have to suffer, what to speak of earlier many many births, where the soul was not so evolved. Countless sins I have committed - so Krsna You are now my only shelter. Because I am so fallen, there is no one else who can give me the highest benediction despite my sins, the benediction of devotion.

You shoudl think - let me suffer for all the sins I have committed in this birth itself - then and only then I will qualify to go back to Krsna. Your only prayer should be - whatever my suffering, please please ensure that I never forget You, Krsna and can continue my devotional service unto You.  

I am aware of the amount of devotion you do, thats why I am saying that you have to go to the next stage - that of total surrender. The only desire you should have is for pure devotional service. Fearing reactions from sins committed will not elevate you - praying that you remember Krsna in all your suffering will. The more you surrender, the more you will be without fear, the more Krsna will take over your sins and ensure minimum suffering by you. That shloka has a lot of meaning - Sarva Dharman Parityajya.... One has to give up every single thing, every single desire, emotion, and desire only and only to serve - whatever condition we are in, wherever in the 3 worlds we are situated. COnsider it the causeless mercy of the lord that you realise your sins.

It is spiritual progress to be able to realise that one has committed so many sins and that one is actually not such a nice person. Materially, we always think that we are right and are ever ready to justify our thoughts and actions, right? It is only when we progress spiritually that we realise that we are not such a nice person after all. (This is the inverted concept propounded in Gita). Only then we realise that we are actually so so so fallen. Then we realise that how merciful the lord is to accept any small devotional activity that we do, that He allows us to remember Him, chant His name, make prasadam for Him and eat His prasadam. Everything remains the same, only our consciousness changes. That is what Krsna Consciousness is all about.

I am reminded of the words - hoon toh paapin saat peedhin ko .... (I am a sinner for past 7 generations...). That feeling has to come. Then the repentence will come. Then you will realise the lord's mercy even more. That is atonement for sins. Repentence is the only atonement for sins. Then one who repents does not resent when one has to face the consequences of the sins committed.

I hope I have been able to explain. I am aware of things related to you - so this reply is for further advancement, pls dont get me wrong.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• dont worry, sri yama is the great vaisnava and devotee, just chant hare krishna and read srimad bhagvatam.

• Hare Krishna

If we remember God in everything then there is no stress....instead of fearing Yamraj, if we think of him as a great devotee who is just carrying out the orders of the Lord, the stress and the fear is lessened.

:)

• First note down which sins (seriously) you have committed in past and make a plan not to repeat the same mistakes in the future.

If the above step is not strictly followed from now onwards, again in the future you may realize that I have committed a lot of sin in the past and the process continues endlessly.

Any person in my view is a hero if he learn a lesson from past or from Prabhus and do not commit same mistake in future.

Chanting helps only to some extent, I mean if a person chant a mantra and commit a serious sin there is no use of chanting.Chant mantras to clear previously made sins.
    •  Hare Krishna

"make a plan not to repeat the same "....but what is the way for 'prayashchitt'? like chanting, doing devotional service.....what else?

• all devotional services are service done with devotion or love.

if there is no devotion  then its just a service,

but god isnt attracted so much by service without love.

you need to know god better to love him,

to realize yourself and have experience what person he is and how much he loves you.

when you establish your personal and intimate relationship with him, 

your devotion or bhakty is starting.

once started, never stops again.

• If the bhakti as illustrated above has already been started then try to continue it through out your life and if not possible as much time as you can. During the process try to be honest, and try to not quit at any circumstances.

• Honest in the sense a person who is in the process of bhakti must not have any bad habits like smoking, drinking etc., must not perform any harm to others, he must always be chanting and thinking about god and refrain from everything else.

• Hare Krishna Krishna Dasi Mataji!

All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

All respected exalted devotees responded your question nicely. I would like you to  read and understand what Lord Krishna says in Bghagavad Gita: 

BG 9.30: Even if one commits the most abominable action, if he is engaged in devotional service he is to be considered saintly because he is properly situated in his determination.

BG 9.31: He quickly becomes righteous and attains lasting peace. O son of Kuntī, declare it boldly that My devotee never perishes.

BG 9.32: O son of Pṛthā, those who take shelter in Me, though they be of lower birth — women, vaiśyas [merchants] and śūdras [workers] — can attain the supreme destination.

BG 9.34: Engage your mind always in thinking of Me, become My devotee, offer obeisances to Me and worship Me. Being completely absorbed in Me, surely you will come to Me.

So, mataji, just keep chanting and believe that Krishna has already forgiven you. Go ahead with your service to Krishna and be anxiety free. 

Hare Krishna!

Your insignificant servant,

Amal 

• Hare Krishna 

I understand what Sri Krishna accept and forgives His surrendered devotees...then I realise how great and merciful He is....even beyond our imagination.....

This reply was deleted.