Prasadam

I say the three prayers three times to Sri Prahbupoda, Chaitanya, and krshna after preparing a meal.  I'm wondering if one has to do this each time, even before a snack, in order for the food to be prasadam.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Om Sri Vishnu" 3 times is wonderful "prelud, chant raising the energies prier to offerings.
    Is a localizing principal Vishnu Nar-rien is The Head God "in charge" of (mt)-creation. (A Pronnabah) a opening & a Closer to any formal attempt to diminstrat a Sincear desier associate with the Higher Self of all.
    "Om Sri Vishnu Sri Vishnu Sri Vishnu" this will attract Hi's awairness & Shakti. Which envolks instent purity & liberation.
    Just chant Sri. Vishnu three more times-after the
    (Offering attempt followed by- Om Tat Sat
    "Closher" early ISKCON Teachings! Also-
    Chanting Sri Vishnu threeTimes in a row while ELavating the offerings - or Boga ABOVE the HEAD, really seems to work. A Vishnu blessing is-"suppose to be, poision proof" out of Death's realms.!. Anyway that's the on the-spot offoring methud Vishnues everything is revolutionary and Spontaineus as well. Vishnavahs means "Those Who Pray By bu-the-Means of Vishnu's Names"
    Rah..Spk. Bhagavatom & Krishna said (No Om/ Vishnu)-(No-matter) i.e. no offoring can be successful without 1st.
    Informing Vishnu*

Om Sri Sri Vishnu
    Sri Vishnu Sri Vishnu
    Om Tat SaT
    10,000 years
  • Yes, this was my question also.  It's not always possible to go through the whole ceremony.  I'm retired but have a husband with advance Alzheimer's disease.  I'm also a senior, who needs to eat small snacks throughout the day.  

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Matajis,

PAMHO.

If its just a couple of bites outside of home, then say Namo Vishnu thrice mentally and eat.

My admiration for you Mary mataji, you are doing commendable. With an ailing husband, you are trying to follow, it is really appreciable.

What you can do is - cook at the time and offer. Then eat as and when required. 

If that is not possible, then still I will request you to lay the plate for God, keep in front for offering, simply say - Krsna pls have, or Gurudev pls offer and lift the plate. Mix with the rest of the food and have.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• E-Counselor

Hare KRsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

One should prepare the meal, then take a separate plate for offering (preferably no body should eat from that plate, reserve it for the deities), put the food on the plate, the way you would serve someone, then keep the plate in front of the deities. If you do not have an altar, you can keep in front of any picture of Radha Madhav, Panchatattva or Jagannath deities. If you do not have pictures also, then you can keep in front of Gita or Bhagawatam. If you do not have these books also, you can keep the plate in front of guru pictures. If you do not have that also, keep the plate in a clean place, mentally call the deities, Srila Prabhupada, your guru (if any) and offer the food. 

The offering mantra can be as simple as - Krishna, pls have. If you have the time, the proper way to offer is to offer via guru - so we say the guru pranam mantra 3 times, then the following 3 times

Namo Maha Vadanyaya Krsna Prem Pradayate,

Krsna Chaitanya Naamne Gauratvishe Namah

Then this mantra 3 times

Namo Brahmanya Devaya Go Brahmana Hitaya Ca

Jagat Dhitaya Krshnaya Govindayah Namo Namah

I normally say these also 

Jai Shri Krsna Chaitanya Prabhu Nityananda, Sri Advaita Gadadhara Srivasadi Gaur Bhakta Vrnda - 3 times

Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare - 8 times.

All this while, ringing the bell.

Then leave the plate for 5-10 min. 

Then ring bell again, pick up the plate. Add to the rest of the cooked food, keep this plate aside or clean it immediately. Then one can eat the prasadam.

Do as much as you are comfortable. It should be done with pleasure, not as a burden.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

This reply was deleted.