Prabhupada - Consent to rape

There are very disturbing statements that Prabhupada made and these quite worrying especially since the whole reason for KC to exist is to create and understanding and respect to life and all living creatures including humans. I would be interested to hear what people things of these statements, these are actual words spoken by Prabhupada.

Here he's implying that's ok to rape women and ok to attack them

“In this regard, the word vikhyatam is very significant. A man is always famous for his aggression toward a beautiful woman, and such aggression is sometimes considered rape. Although rape is not legally allowed, it is a fact that a woman likes a man who is very expert at rape.”

“Generally, when a woman is attacked by a man–whether her husband or some other man–she enjoys the attack, being too lusty.”

"When a husbandless woman is attacked by an aggressive man, she takes his action to be mercy.”

"Prabhupada: “Yes, that is law always. Rape means without consent, sex. Otherwise there is no rape. There was a rape case in Calcutta, and the lawyer was very intelligent. He some way or other made the woman admit, ‘Yes, I felt happiness.’ So he was released. ‘Here is consent.’ And that’s a fact. Because after all, sex, rape or no rape, they will feel some pleasure. So the lawyer by hook and crook made the woman agree, ‘Yes, I felt some pleasure.’ ‘Now, there is consent.’ So he was released. After all, it is an itching sensation. So either by force or by willingly, if there is itching, everyone feels relieved itching it. That’s a psychology. It is not that the woman do not like rape. They like sometimes. They willingly. That is the psychology. Outwardly they show some displeasure, but inwardly they do not. This is the psychology.” (Morning Walk — May 11, 1975, Perth)

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't understand your answer, what has that got to do with being ok with rape? he says very clearly "it is a fact that a woman likes a man who is very expert at rape", so what is he trying to say here? what is the context?

Also regarding the black americans, he is saying they should be slaves, I don't understand why he would say that ("That is best, to keep them under control as slaves"), so what is your understanding of that statement?
  • He already condemned all such nonsense by creating ISKCON Society and giving culture of following Four regulative principles which include no illicit sex. So why not join the society and feel relieved from all such trouble, why do you become over worried about others. He might have said in some context to someone that is not to be taken negatively. And above all you can't understand a pure devotee's words, actions, etc by your ordinary tiny brain! So better don't comment rather take a positive side, It was said that Even Jesus ate meat, and Lord shiva drank poison , Lord Krishna forcefully married many women, but what is background and their heart behind doing all these must be carefully understood, and if at all you have more doubt then ask in humble way not in challenging or negative way! That will not solve the issue nor it will down Prabhupada!
  • Prabhupada said this also, effectively stating that women should be kept as slaves, why??

“Sudra is to be controlled only. They are never given to be freedom. Just like in America. The blacks were slaves. They were under control. And since you have given them equal rights they are disturbing, most disturbing, always creating a fearful situation, uncultured and drunkards. What training they have got? They have got equal right? That is best, to keep them under control as slaves but give them sufficient food, sufficient cloth, not more than that. Then they will be satisfied.” – Room conversation, 14 February 1977, Mayapur
  • Prabhupada doesn't mince his words. Like a journalism. Prabhupada was an individual he doesnt need to speak whatever for people. He choose to speak harshly or kindly. I mean we can say why did Krishna allow so many to be killed at kurukshetra? BTW I get what Srila Prabhupada is saying. Basically in 20th century or 21st I can never remember!, some girls like 'bad boys', this is what Prabhupada is referring to. So there you are. Case closed. Hare Krishna!
    • That's not what he's referring to, he's clearly accepting that rape is ok, why? if he was a man of God then he should have condemned such acts, why would he support rape?
      • He already condemned all such nonsense by creating ISKCON Society and giving culture of following Four regulative principles which include no illicit sex. So why not join the society and feel relieved from all such trouble, why do you become over worried about others. He might have said in some context to someone that is not to be taken negatively. And above all you can't understand a pure devotee's words, actions, etc by your ordinary tiny brain! So better don't comment rather take a positive side, It was said that Even Jesus ate meat, and Lord shiva drank poison , Lord Krishna forcefully married many women, but what is background and their heart behind doing all these must be carefully understood, and if at all you have more doubt then ask in humble way not in challenging or negative way! That will not solve the issue nor it will down Prabhupada!
      • thats the problem with people now. They take everything out of context. Ok so you accept Prabhupada said rape is OK. What you will do now? Oh Please ....
This reply was deleted.