Sadhana? How to follow it properly?

Hare Krishna to all devotees
AGTSP...how a devotee shud engage in service when his sadhana is decreased .Grossly his chanting 16 rounds BT fails to pay attention following 4 regulative principles.sum time he even fails to pray fr his difficulties.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna!

A devotee should always try to maintain his sadhana, even if it is decreased due to some circumstances. If one is unable to chant 16 rounds of the Hare Krishna maha-mantra, he should at least chant as many rounds as possible, and gradually increase the number. As Srila Prabhupada says, "If you cannot finish your chanting that day, then next day you should forget sleeping and eating and must finish it" (Pañcadraviḍa conversation, May 7, 1976).

In addition to chanting, a devotee should try to follow the four regulative principles of no meat-eating, no illicit sex, no gambling, and no intoxication. If one is unable to follow them strictly, he should at least try to minimize his indulgence in them and gradually give them up.

Even if a devotee is facing difficulties and is unable to pray, he should not give up his service. As Srila Prabhupada says, "Failures may not be detrimental; they may be the pillars of success. One must have good faith in the regulative principles followed by the self-realized souls, and one should not be doubtful about the ultimate result of such devotional service"

Therefore, a devotee should engage in service to the best of his ability, even if his sadhana is decreased. He should not become discouraged or give up his service, but rather continue to strive for spiritual advancement. As Lord Krishna says in the Bhagavad-gita, "Even a little effort on the path of spiritual progress can protect one from the greatest danger" (Bg. 2.40).

• Engaging in service (Seva) in the association of saintly persons and serving the lotus feet of the spiritual master are of more importance than following a rigorous program of chanting or following certain rules. Those things are meant to help us and keep us safe from falling into traps set by the material energy-- and even with that said those engagements are themselves a sort of service to Srila Prabhupada. Technically-- Sādhana-bhakti is a very high thing. We are practicing on a lower platform-- simply crying out for the mercy of the spiritual master. It's only by that surrendered, service attitude (Sarva Dharman Parityajya Mam Ekam Saranam Vraja) that we can be made eligible for Sadhana-Bhakti.

"I will deliver you from all sinful reactions-- Do not fear!" B.G 18.66
  • Volunteer

Hare Krishna dear Shilpa Mataji, please accept my humble obeisances! All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

Determination to follow something comes by purity.

And to follow all regulative principles one needs determination.

So we need to associate with Devotees and serve them in this way we will have desire to chant the Names attentively and when we chant Japa attentively our heart gets cleansed.

And as we told pure heart is always full of determination and enthusiasm.

So this Vaishnava Seva is very important.

Your servant,

• Jaya! It at times seems as though Vaishnava-Seva is really the key to the whole thing. Great post. You put it better than I could.
  • The person is following all principles but not able to read and remember
  • Hare Krishna..thanks fr replying all devotees.the pfollowing following all regulative principles BT not able to read n remember
  • Hare Krishna Mataji,

Dandvat!!!!!!!!!
    PAMHO!!!!!!!!!

AGTSP!!!!!!!!

Radhey! Radhey!

Mataji kindly why it is happening and what one the regulative principal has been broken by you. Mataji if you need some personal assistance you can speak with any of the Sr Devotee Mataji on ISKCON DESIRE TREE

Your Humble Servant

Bhuwan Dutt Bawari

Hare Krishna

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

The devotee has to ensure that the sadhana level does not go down. If there is a drop in the sadhana, what is the reason/ distraction? Chanting is most important - one has to chant under all circumstances - whether attentive or not. Secondly, say a devotee has to appear for exams - then its ok if he doesnt attend classes or reads SP books during exams or just before that, but if the distraction is say some family member/ guest has come over or he is out on a vacation, then it is not so nice.

Still I appreciate that atleast he is chanting.

Following 4 regulative principles are also important. Why is he not able to follow the regulative principles? I think we need to examine the reason before any comment/ advice can be made.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• Hare Krishna, please accept my obeisances, all glories to Srila Praphupada and to gurudev, all glories to the divine couple,

Dear devotee i hope you find this useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhSDtOj-Cns

i wish you all goodness and quick progress in krishna consciousness,

Krishna das

This reply was deleted.