Perception of Women in the Scriptures

Hare Krishna,

Pls forgive me for the below question. I ask this question not out of Ego but purely to clarify my doubts

Certain texts in the books of Srila Prabhupada indicate women to be low born as compared to men. Why so, please explain. 

Example in Bhagvad Gita

Chapter 9. The Most Confidential Knowledge

TEXT 32

TRANSLATION

O son of Prtha, those who take shelter in Me, though they be of lower birth--women, vaisyas [merchants], as well as sudras [workers]--can approach the supreme destination.

The books also specify that attraction to women is the biggest distraction for a devotee. why is it not specified generically as attraction to the opposite gender which then becomes applicable to both men and women.

Pls forgive me incase this question has offended anyone. Request the devotees to not misunderstand my query. I truly appreciate Srila Prabhupadas books and sincerely read them. However, I always had these questions on my mind. Hence, seek clarifications from advanced devotees.

Regards,

Karishma

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna Mataji, 

Dandavat Pranam,

AGTSP.

Kindly explain the following sentence you used to explain the position of women: - 

Usually man earns karma but woman comes to work her karma. Because of that women have much pain in life than men have.

Please guide me as I am unable to understand this point.

Ys

Milan

• Volunteer

Kindly explain the following sentence you used to explain the position of women: - 

Usually man earns karma but woman comes to work her karma. Because of that women have much pain in life than men have.

Please guide me as I am unable to understand this point.

i heard it in the lectures of many Devotee psychologists. 

In the reality it is not like animals earn their karma without having any free will but it is so comparatively to men. 

Man and woman these are all like having different dresses. So one day we are in silk dress and that time we are fortunate, health is good but another time in chemical dress and that time we suffer out of heat etc....so in this way woman body may bring little more pain than man body.

So we have to accept it. 

-----

Concerning lust: there are different women and men. Women in high classes like brahmanis may be higher than sudra men or vaishya men...so we can not equalize all women to all men. 

It is said so because when man and woman in seclusion if man starts to flirt with woman woman can not control herself. That is her weakness. Because of that it is said that women should be always under the protection of father, husband and son.

Because they are simple as like child, they are naive ...and they can be changed by other person's influence. 

It says that when man is alcoholic he can come out of it but if woman is so then it is very, very difficult to come out from bottle for her. So it is her weakness. 

Your servant, 

• I also curious about it, but i guess there is not sastra to support it.

• Hare Krishna
    Great Learning for me

Thanks
  • Hare Krishna,

Thank you very much Prabhuji for your valuable insights.

Regards,

Karishma

This reply was deleted.