On the authority of Srimad Bhagavatam

Hare krishna to all,Recently I came across an article which stated that the Srimad Bhagavatam mentioned in the puranas like Matsya Purana, Padma Purana, Agni Purana and others actully refer to Devi Bhagavatam. According to this article Devi Bhagatam fulfills all the characteristics of Bhagavatam mentioned in the Puranas. The person writing this article proves by this that Devi Durga is actually the Supreme.It also states that Gayatri is Devi and not Vishnu.Thus the mention of Gayatri as a characteristic of Bhagavatam it refers to Devi Bhagavatam and not Srimad Bhagavatam.He has given a verse in the article from Taittiriya aryanaka of Yajur Veda(10:23:1) to claim that the Vishwarupa mentioned as a characteristic of Bhagavatam is Ardhanarishwar (Shiva) who is the supreme brahma.One of his most important claims is that the story of Maharaja Parikshit is different in Mahabharata and Bhagavatam. Since Mahabharata is the fifth Veda that is why Bhagavatam cannot be taken as an authority.Whereas Devi Bhagavatam is more similar to Mahabharata.He did not accept the theory of kalpa bheda as Srimad Bhagavatam records the events of the present kalpa as stated in the second canto.He also stated that the detailed mention of Srimad Bhagavatam in the Padma Purana Uttara Khanda is a Vaishnava infiltration. He even says that Madhvacharya and his followers are notorious for distorting the vedas.Thus Padma Purana cannot be taken as an authority.Also Srimad Bhagavatam does not mention the fight between Devi Durga and Mahishasura and also does not mention the puja details of Devi and Radha so Srimad Bhagavatam cannot be taken as an authority. Whereas Devi Bhagavatam is the original Bhagavatam.As far as I know Devi Bhagavatam is an upapurana. But this person says that Devi Bhagavatam is the Mahabhagavatam.I do not agree with this person and I know none of you will agree with him. My question is how can we deal with such claims? If anyone can shed some light it will be of great help.I am sorry if I have offended anyone.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Different Vedic literatures were deliberately and systematically distorted by the onslaught of the Age of Kali.

Srimad Bhagavatam is untouched so far, all other Vedic scriptures  should be taken with great caution.

SB 12.13.13If on the full moon day of the month of Bhādra one places Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam on a golden throne and gives it as a gift, he will attain the supreme transcendental destination.

SB 12.13.14All other Purāṇic scriptures shine forth in the assembly of saintly devotees only as long as that great ocean of nectar, Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam, is not heard.
    SB 12.13.15Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam is declared to be the essence of all Vedānta philosophy. One who has felt satisfaction from its nectarean mellow will never be attracted to any other literature.

Bhagavata purana is self sufficient for self realization, but faith is required.  

SB 12.13.13
    One should place Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam on a golden throne because it is the king of all literature. On the full-moon day of the month of Bhādra, the sun,…
    • Thank you for the reply, Hare Krishna.
This reply was deleted.