Namaste and Hare KrishnaIt is my understanding that Lord Krishna once came to Malyahari Kunda and saw gopis sitting near the pool stringing pearls into necklaces.I have also been told we should not offer a string of pearls to don the Murti of Krishna nor Radha as the pearl comes from the oyster which is captured, suffers and is robbed of it's pearl and eaten. That pearl necklace is not vegan.What is the truth?Your servant in devotion, Jai Sri Krsna

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

I will not be able to give you authentic references. Still, in Bhagawatam, there are references to pearl being used in jewellery or paraphernalia. Canto  3 - there is a chapter describing the spiritual world, when Jay & Vijay are cursed by the 4 kumaras. There are references of pearl in that chapter.

Otherwise also, in Radha Raman Lal ju shringar, they use pearls on ocassions. That is the most authentic deity worship and Srila Prabhupada had told his disciples to learn seva from that temple. I have never heard that pearls are non-veg, therefore cannot be offered to the lord.

This is waht I know.

haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• PAMHO Sourirajan and Rashmi mataji

Thank you for mitigating my concerns! About 4 years ago a neighbor from Japan, from a wealthy family in Japan, gifted me and my wife a very precious string of pearls from Japan. I want to later use this string to decorate Rukmini Devi murti which I do not yet have. This means Prabhupad allows pearls for this purpose. Thank you!

Your servant, Jai Sri Krsna
  • HK, PAMHO, All Glories Srila Prabhu Pada.

Eventhough, I am not sure of the answer, yes, I remember story of Krishna borrowing Pearls from Mother Yasodha, seeding them, growing  Pearl plants by pouring milk.  When Srimati Radha Rani and her friends saw that, they as well tried doing the same and failed in that attempt, as one Krishna Leela.  But, weather Krishna or Radha Rani wears a pearl jewellery, I am not sure.

May be some Prabhu can enlighten us on this.

HB.

This reply was deleted.