Obsession VS Love

Hare Krsna to all Devotees ,

all glories to Srila Prabhupad.

PAMHO,

I was doing the Psychological analysis of Bhakti..in that I came across one thing that when we follow ,hear or act according to our interest in any field we get enamored to the great personality of that field..for eg. if someone has interest in cricket he gets attracted to Sachin tendulkar..starts watching his matches,follows him starts collecting his pictures and gets completely obsessed with that and gradually developes love for that personality and if we stay away from it we dont like it and if we stay away for longer time then our obsession or love gets discarded completely...another eg is any movie star...so is it the same psychological effect happening in Bhakti too..as we all get Obsessed with Krishna and his past times ?? (we chant lords name,do bhajan,kirtan..etc..)

SO what is the difference between the two and what is the breakeven point between Obsession and love ??? When do we get complete realization that we are in love with Krishna ??

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the reply Bhaktin Mataji !!

Please accept my humble obeisances! all glories to Srila Prabhupada!

I have recently started with chanting and You mentioned that the taste of chanting will remove all attachments and material desires but in practice what I am feeling is that the material desires and processes are pounding on me with a greater force instead and making me difficult to chant the Maha mantra. So what is it that I can do in such situation ??

• Volunteer

Chanting, visiting temple, hearing spiritual lectures, reading books on Krishna and taking Krishna prasadam are the rungs of the ladder that will lead you to Krishna.

• Thank you Prabhuji !!! 

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna!!! Keep on chanting. When love for Krishna will fountain out spontaneously, you will realize the presence of Krishna in everything. When love will be focused on Krishna totally, even a moment of forgetfulness of Krishna will seem like a year of separation. It is a at a very advanced stage. It is the zenith of KC. It is the aspired goal of every devotee.

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna!!! Love is focused and centered on the needs of the beloved. Obsession, in contrast, is self-centered. Obsession is, unlike love, not just passionate; it is ferocious and cruel. The pathos of cruelty that an obsessed displays can be seen in an innocent form in the craving that a child has for a favorite toy. Take the favorite toy away and the child will cry for days and may even stop eating food. The child can be cruel to himself in such a situation. The same cruelty may turn outwards to the toy when the toy is no longer the favorite one. An adult, who expresses obsession in terms of erotic love, is even more dangerous. He (or she) may go to any extent to get the object of his (or her) desire and may even turn violent if the object is taken away. Intensity of such passion is destructive in case of any denial; the obsessed one either destroys oneself or destroys the object of obsession. Newspapers are full of stories of some young boy or girl committing suicide after being turned down. One also hears stories of some boy killing or throwing acid on the face of his girl friend after knowing that she is getting married to someone else. 

LOVE, UNLIKE OBSESSION IS TOTALLY SELF-LESS.IT IS MEANT FOR GRATIFYING KRISHNA'S SENSES. Only the gopis and the gopas exhibit this kind of love, particularly the gopis. The sublime and intense feelings of the gopis for Krishna is reflected in Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's words-' Krishna, no matter you embrace me or torture me, I'm yours'. The gopis take Krishna's feet which is softer than the softest and put them on their  breasts to comfort His feet. Love is always meant to satisfy the vishaya, the object of love i.e. Krishna without any expectation. 

• hare krishna prabhuji
      agtsp
      pamho
      ur answer to the above quetion is really very nice :) :)
      hari bol 

• Hare Krishna !!! Gourab Prabhu !!! PAMHO..

Thanks for the reply..SO when is it that we realize that we are in love with god and its not just a temporary obsession ,which is going to fall anyways.. As for a neophyte devotee when he starts in service of lord ,Maya pulls him(or her) back into the material world..So in this reciprocating process one may get out of devotional service and suffer on a later stage..A neophyte devotee has to force himself time and again in service of the lord..Living in the material world and balancing both the spiritual and material life is extremely difficult...And only absolute love for god will help u that is for sure..but when is it that one will attain that position and will be able to distinguish that this is love and not obsession or infatuation... 

This reply was deleted.