my mental illness

i have been chanting 16 rounds for two years.Everything was going nice.i was gradually progressing.But 1 month before i got a mental illness called panic anxiety attack.So i am disturbed. Please guide me. how to deal with this problem.Can a devotee have a mental illness or it is due to any offence done by me unknowingly.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• For anxiety I recommend ITERAX 25 mg 1 tab 2 x daily. It will cause drowsiness. But it will relieve the panic attack. I should also entertain Hypertension, tachycardia, toxic goiter. 10 % of diseases are organic. 90 % are psychological. They say, " Its all in the mind. " Learn how to deal with your conscience. Often times, He is the one responsible for our anxieties, mental problems.
    • Greetings Rishi Parmar,

Your humble obeisances are well taken. I am not really familiar with ayurvedic medicine. So, I can not relate on something that is not my territory. My knowledge of medicine is taken from western teachings, books like Gray's Anatomy, Harrison's Internal Medicine, etc. Before I took the medical course. I had to finish a four year course in Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology. The Four years proper Medicine. One year Post-grad internship, 6 months rural work and taking the Philippine Licensure Exams on December 1986. It took me 10 years to earn my license to practice medicine when I finally received it on Jan 1987. My Philippine Regulatory Commission Lic Number is 61900, renewable every 3 years. I have been a government physician for 21 years, 6 years private practice. My hobby/pastime is reading Prabhupada's books which started on 1986. When my childhood neighbor Gaurasundara das lent me his 64 volumes of Srimad Bhagavatam. After reading these books for several years, my taste for medical journals declined. My taste for Krishna consciousness soared. I discovered I can cure cancer. Simply by chanting sincerely Hare Krsna. You see, the sound vibration of cancer is kansr. KRSNA CURES KANSR/CANCER. Isn't that amazing? Then I discovered the Paramatma is actually our Conscience telling us what to do, helping us remember the things we forgotten. If he is not well with us the Paramatma-Conscience let us recall unpleasant memories e.g recurring nightmares. Why is He that way? So, I found out that the only way for these bad dreams to go away is to render devotional service to Krishna and Balarama.

Yours truly,

Dr Melvin

• Hare Krishna Prabhu Ji...

Scriptures(Ayurveda) have very accurate information about "Mind" than allopathy. It's beautifully explained that psychological disordered related problems are related to our past lives and Karma(sins). That's why psychological problems can be only cured by the ayurvedic method. So I'm focusing more on Ayurveda than allopathy. I hope you don't mind as it is knowledge for all. I'm very sorry Prabhu, I observed later that you're a doctor. Please accept my humble obeisances.

Please accept my humble obeisances

• Thinking positively works wonders on one`s mental well-being. The best is to smile always and laugh at jokes, humor and even at the blunders we commit when we do something not to our liking. When the result don`t produce a good one but a disaster. So, how to cope with mental depression? Then one goes into elation. Here we have the bi-polar type. But what about Schizophrenia. Those with split personality. They are incurable with anti-psychotic drugs. They are the so-called Dr Jekyll and Mr Hide. One becomes a monster during the night and a lamb at daytime. One can be a Marvel character. Like Superman and Batman. They wore masks to disguise themselves so that their true identities can`t be known in public.

This forum I know are laden with persons of different mentalities. Different cultural back grounds. I even do not know which one is real. Because for all I know true identities are being kept secret. There is a legal name/spiritual name. Profile pictures are deceiving. So, are we really ? I know Krishna can expand into unlimited forms. And so His servitors like Narada Muni, the latter can be Upabarhana, a playboy. Then later a saint! One can never know the true identity of a Krishna devotee. We are trying , in fact, to understand more of ourselves. How much more understanding God who is inconceivable and transcendental. No way! We continue to refer from sastras the nature of God. Because we also want to be perfect like Him. Are we? Do we?

We go back to just being ourselves. Some of us here perhaps a little feminine, masculine, traits that can be caused by the presence of sex hormones in our bodies. The more female hormones in the body, the more we become feminine and vice versa. This situation if not controlled can alter the way we think. These abnormal sex hormones can alter also the structure and make-up of our physical bodies. Mental illness in fact is a psychic discomfort of our selves not knowing what kind of gender we possess when some of us here are not what they are suppose to be. Is it not that all what we see, hear, experience from the outside and inside are just illusions? That the real Mccoy is  this spiritual spark we know as soul, part and parcel of Krishna. That`s why we act sometimes like Krishna. Or we act sometimes that of the color of Radha?

•  Hare Krishna  Rishi Parmar Prabhu,

Panic disorder and panic attack are very serious problems . Can you please tell where Saraswatarishtam can be found ? Can ayurvedic medicine completely cure this problem ? I am also suffering from this problem from at least 15 years but not cured even via devotional service. 

quite recently I have started taking allopethic medicine . But I think the medicine is not suiting me and the problem has increased.  

Why do you say allopethic medicine does not work ? 

In addition Bhasrika , anulom volom pranayam are said to be helpful .

Many people say doing shakti sadhana   helps in these problems as Maa gives extreme mental power. Not sure about that . I haven't dared that though as it needs a guru who will give appropriate mantra .

Some also prescribe Kundalini medition but I warn such practice is very risky without guru. 

• Hare Krishna dandvats, Prabhuji. Please accept my humble obeisances.

The western(allopathy) treatment methods for psychological disorders are with this biological view and based on clinical research and experience. Their theory is, It is disturbances of the brain’s chemistry, anatomy, and physiology, which in turn distort perceptions and subjective experiences. This hypothesis revolves around the idea that mental illness might be the result of overactivity of a neurotransmitter called dopamine. This theory is supported by the fact that drugs, which increase dopamine activity, can bring about a worsening of psychotic symptoms. So they are giving Antipsychotic medications. It actually only treats the SYMPTOMS of the disorder but do not cure the actual mental illness. These medications reduce the psychotic symptoms of mental illness and usually allow the patient to function more effectively and appropriately. Antipsychotic drugs appear to be the best treatment now available, but they do not cure any mental illness or ensure that there will be no further psychotic episodes. Some other theories are based on psychosocial influences like the psychological view is based on the principle that psychological factors are critical to the development of traumatic childhood experiences, intense negative intra-familiar communication substantially affects the extent of recovery, probability of relapse, the overall quality of life, and the symbolic meaning attributed to the disorder. The leading psychological explanations have come from the psychodynamic, behavioral, family, existential, and cognitive perspectives.

We Hare Krishna followers knows the Ayurveda is perhaps the oldest system of natural healing in the world, predating even the Chinese system. The name Ayurveda is from Sanskrit (Veda = knowledge; ayu = life) and is often translated as “the knowledge of life”, “the knowledge of longevity” more accurately captures its intent. The sages of ancient India carefully distinguished life, a spiritual phenomenon, from longevity, a term that refers to the proper maintenance of the body. This distinction between body and self is fundamental to Vaishnava thought.

Shrila Prabhupada says, "Psychiatrists are the humbug, all humbug. They cannot help. Best thing is to be engaged in continuously chanting and hearing Sankirtana, that will cure anyone of mental disease." (Prabhupada. “Letter to Upendra”. February 19, 1972)

We all people over the world have a major psychological disorder is that we have forgotten Krishna. So the ultimate solution is Krishna consciousness.

The lifestyle people are expected to live in the modern world is unreasonable. It is completely on the bodily concept of life and there is no spiritual education. Naturally people will suffer in so many ways because of this. The preconception of psychologists that there is something “wrong” with a person who has inner turmoil and suffering as a result living in the modern world is incorrect. This is quite natural and to be expected. The idea that the problem is caused by one’s childhood experiences is false. There is a very serious problem with modern society. It is affecting everyone, no matter what their childhood upbringing was like. Even people who had good childhood experiences still suffer from mental turmoil trying to live within the expectations they are given by the media and the advertisers, etc.

So what we are doing is already right and perfect in Krishna consciousness. But we also need sometimes medications for support. Ayurvedic drugs provide for a holistic change in the patient while allopathy deals with specific symptoms of the disorder. Ayurveda recommends traditional dietary and lifestyle habits along with yogic exercises and herbal treatment. It has proved to be an alternative form of treatment, which not only includes treating the disorder – physical and psychological – but also bringing in a change in the lifestyle of the person to prevent future illnesses.

Ayurveda stands by its definition of health, in which a healthy mind plays an important role. Being a holistic science, Ayurveda explores the symbiotic relationship between the mind, body, soul, the senses and their workings. We already know that the human being is a constitution of the mind, body, soul and senses, also called Manas, Sarira, Atma and Indriya respectively. This includes psychological senses (Gyanendriya) and physical organs (Karmendriya). The dynamics of these primary constituents govern the health of a person.
        Manas is a constitution of three operational qualities: Sattva, Rajas and Tamas. These define the character or tatva of a person. Satva guna is an amalgamation of all things good – self-control, knowledge, power to determine right and wrong in life. The qualities of Rajas guna are to be in motion, violent, envious, authoritative, desirous and confused. The characteristics of Tamas are being dull, inactive, lazy, sleepy or drowsy. Of these gunas, Rajas and Tamas are referred as Manodoshas. The imbalance of Satva, Rajas and Tamas are responsible for mental illness, known as Manovikara.

On the other hand, the body, which is believed to be formed from nature is comprised of three psycho-biological elements: Vata (air element), Pitta (fire element) and Kapha (earth element). These elements are also known as the tridoshas. The tridoshas are essentially negative in nature, (in Sanskrit, dosha means fault) but they are actually protecting the body. When the three doshas go away, they attack the body and cause illness to either one part in the body or the whole. This also affects the mind, causing mental disturbances and even illness. Therefore, the treatment in Ayurveda focuses on treating both the mental illness and physical because they are inter-related.

So for the panic attacks, Ayurveda has hundreds of treatments(such as "panchakarma") and medications.

In medicines, Ashwagandha can be the best medicine for panic attacks because it calms the mind. You can buy ashwagandha capsules from your any nearest ayurvedic medical store. In dosage, it can be taken two times a day 1 capsule 15 min after the meal. It has no side effects only one thing is considered from its good characteristics it regulates sexual functions and sometimes can make excited. Ashwagandha for anxiety cuts stress and prevents panic attacks. With Ashwagandha taking Saraswatarishtam can be beneficial. It is especially for all kinds of mental disorders. In dosage, it should be taken two times a day, 12-24ml(1-2 tablespoons) immediately after meals with mixing same quantity of water in it. Saraswatarishatam can be easily available at any nearest ayurvedic medical store and also it is available online.

I'm sorry for the too long article but I think this is what we all in ISKCON need to know to have awareness about mental problems. I hope this will help you for sure Prabhu.

Hare Krishna :)

• Hare Krishna...
    I'm currently suffering from more serious mental problems than you're suffering. Everyone here has already beautifully explained and helped you. However, I know it's difficult to overcome from it without the support of devotees. please engage in devotional service and associate with devotees more that only can help you. With this, you'll also need some medications for a helping hand to overcome your mental illness/disorder. Until the mind is not treated, every task of life becomes difficult to manage. We psychologically disordered people are fighting with our own daily activities so some medicines are needed also for spiritual awaking. Ayurvedic medicines are totally natural and only our Ayurveda can heal any mental illness/disorders. Allopathy doesn't have any proper answer for psychological problems, despites they will give you drugs/medicine which can ruin your spiritual consciousness. If you are taking any allopathy medicines then I would suggest you avoid it ASAP. I know some ayurvedic herbs which are totally safe and can be taken by anyone.

**home remedies**
    - Apply Ayurvedic Massage Oils such as Hibril Oil.
    - Take ayurvedic medicines internally, such as "Ashwagandha" which is one of the most effective ayurvedic resources.

You can buy "Ashwagandha" capsule or powder/churna from any good ayurvedic medicine store. Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily, with plain water after meals.

**IT HAS FOLLOWING BENEFICIAL EFFECTS IN AN ANXIOUS OR AN ANXIETY RIDDEN PERSON**
    -Reduces anxiety.
    -Acts as an antioxidant.
    -Improves brain function.
    -Have antibacterial properties.
    -Lowers cortisol levels.
    -Boosts strength.

and another best medicine I can suggest is "Saraswatarishtham". It is chiefly meant to keep body out of stress. It helps in relaxing both mind and body. It is seen to improve the immune system of the body as well. It helps in improving memory. It is seen helpful in overcoming conditions such as fatigue, dizziness and laziness. It helps to keep the body alert at working hours.

Saraswatarishtam dosage: 12 – 24 ml(2 tablespoons). one or two times a day usually advised after food. If needed, it can be mixed with equal quantity of water. It is advised to drink a cup of milk after taking this medicine.
    Traditionally it is administered for one month time period. In prescribed dosage, it is not having any side effects.

Hope this will help you a bit. Hare Krishna!

• Learn Control

14 Regions of Consciousness

Hindus scriptures speak of three worlds, fourteen worlds and countless worlds. These are different ways to describe infinite creation. Of the fourteen worlds, seven are counted as rising above the earth and seven as descending below it. Correspondingly, there are fourteen great nerve centers in the physical body, in the astral body and in the body of the soul. These centers are called chakras in Sanskrit, which means "wheels." These spinning vortices of energy are actually regions of mind power, each one governing certain aspects of the inner man, and together they are the subtle components of people. When inwardly perceived, they are vividly colorful and can be heard. In fact, they are quite noisy, since color, sound and energy are all the same thing in the inner realms.

When awareness flows through any one or more of these regions, the various functions of consciousness operate, such as the functions of memory, reason and willpower. There are six chakras above the muladhara chakra, which is located at the base of the spine. When awareness is flowing through these chakras, consciousness is in the higher nature. There are seven chakras below the muladhara chakra, and when awareness is flowing through them, consciousness is in the lower nature. In this Kali Yuga most people live in the consciousness of the seven force centers below the muladhara chakra. Their beliefs and attitudes strongly reflect the animal nature, the instinctive mind. We want to lift our own consciousness and that of others into the chakras above the muladhara. This brings the mind out of the lower nature into the higher nature. We do this through personal sadhana, prayer, meditation, right thought, speech and action and love for the  Lord.

The muladhara chakra, the divine seat of Lord Ganesha, is the dividing point between the lower nature and the higher nature. It is the beginning of religion for everyone, entered when consciousness arrives out of the realms below Lord Ganesha's holy feet.

The physical body has a connection to each of the seven higher chakras through plexes of nerves along the spinal cord and in the cranium. As the kundalini force of awareness travels along the spine, it enters each of these chakras, energizing them and awakening in turn each function. In any one lifetime man may be predominantly aware in two or three centers, thus setting the pattern for the way he thinks and lives. He develops a comprehension of these seven regions in a natural sequence, the perfection of one leading logically to the next. Thus, though he may not be psychically seeing spinning forces within himself, man nevertheless matures through memory, reason, willpower, cognition, universal love, divine sight and spiritual illumination.

It may help, as we examine each of these centers individually, to visualize man as a seven-storied building, with each story being one of the chakras. Awareness travels up and down in the elevator, and as it goes higher and higher, it gains a progressively broader, more comprehensive and beautiful vista. Reaching the top floor, it views the panorama below with total understanding, not only of the landscape below, but also of the relation of the building to other buildings and of each floor to the next.

In Sanatana Dharma, another analogy is used to portray the chakras--that of a lotus flower. This flower grows in lakes and pools, taking root in the slimy mud below the surface where no light penetrates. Its stem grows upward toward the light until it breaks the surface into fresh air and sunshine. The energy of the sun then feeds the bud and leaves until the delicate lotus blossom opens. The first chakra, is called the root chakra, muladhara. Awareness takes root in the baser instincts of human experience and then travels through the waters of the intellect, becoming more and more refined as it evolves, until finally it bursts into the light of the superconscious mind, where it spiritually flowers into the 1,008-petaled lotus chakra at the top of the head. By examining the functions of these seven great force centers, we can clearly cognize our own position on the spiritual path and better understand our fellow man.   (SSS HA ST)

• First take a look at your diet and what you are ingesting that may be causing this energy flow......then talk it over with a good Ayurvedic doctor, Acupuncturist, Chiropractor and hatha yoga teacher to show you various positions to calm this energy, to change your diet and to help you in the even, peaceful flow of Kundalini Energy.

• Because of previous bad karma, illness can appear to nondevotees as well to those  who are not advanced in the spiritual life.

On another side are pure devotees of Lord, who by fully surrendering achieve protection from results of bad karma.

Anyway, every livig being can be freed from all illness simply by remembering the Lord Dhanvantary,

who is inaugurator of Ayur Veda.( p.s. just a little drop of a faith is required )

This reply was deleted.