meat eating

hare krishna ,

sorry for my ignorant queries that ihave been posting. but nobody has been able to give me a convincing reply till date.May be i was not asking the right people. asking them here hoping to clear the confusions in my mind. one more ignorant query.

in hindus meat eating is prohibited for brahmins and vaishyas.isckonprohibits it for all. But how is it ok for brahmins in certain regions of india to consume meat ? as in kashmir and bengal? 

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

When one performs Karma, good or bad, one has to pay the price. No matter Kashmiri Brahmins or Bengali.

No one is exempt from reaction to our bad actions.

• Jai Shri Krishna..

Your question is incomplete... You could have asked... Is it ok to consume anything? Is it ok to call anything mine?  My answer might not be complete here; hopefully someone else will follow this train of though and complete the answer.

Everything belongs to Krishna.  We need to offer everything to him before we can have it as Prasadama.  Since Krishna mentioned that we may offer certain things, as mentioned in Bhagavad Gita 9.26

"patram puspam phalam toyam

yo me bhaktya prayacchati

tad aham bhakty-upahrtam
                                        asnami prayatatmanah

"If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it."  

So, we may offer him these things and not meat.  We have to eat only Prasadama.  Everything that we consume which is not offered to Krishna accumulates bad Karma. 

Now specifically to meat and plants killed for consumption.  Plants also have life but since Krishna had said that its offer able to him, we do not accumulate any bad karma because Krishna nullifies the karma when we offer it to him and we eat Prasadama which is good spiritually.  Since we cannot offer meat to Krishna, we accumulate only bad Karma if we consume it.  This is the reason why Vaishnavas only eat Prasadama.

2532874110?profile=original

• Hare krishna Manoj prabhu ji

thanks for your reply.

this has put one more question in my mind.

It is generally accepted that in the olden days meat eating and alcohol consumption was prohibited only for the brahmins and vaishyas. Kshatriyas and shudras were allowed to eat meat and take alcohol.

Lord Rama was a kshatriya and he used to go for hunting animals as did King Dashrath. What was done of the hunted animals? must have been eaten. how can this be explained.

• Jai Shri Krishna..

Just because you have read or heard about whats acceptable for consumption through the Bhagwad Gita doesn't mean that it was only stated at the time of Maha Bharata. Krishna had imparted this knowledge way before and the disciplinic cycle was broken.  Krishna was then merciful to impart this knowledge to Arjuna on the battle field.  The meat eating was prohibited for all.  Regarding hunting by Rama and others, more learned devotees might be able to help.  For me it's enough to know that what I have to eat is Prasadama of Krishna.

2544600501?profile=original

• Volunteer

I think first laws were laid down by Manu, son of Surya and can be found in Manu Smriti I believe. The same confidential knowledge given to Arjuna was given to Sun God Vivasvan and who imparted the transcendental knowledge to his son Manu.

Manu later gave the knowledge to Ikwaku, forefather of Lord Ramachandra.

• Jai Shri Krishna..

By the way, this should qualify us to be Krishnatarians.. instead of vegetarians..Lol

• very true prabhu ji
        • iam a vegetarian by birth and am trying to be a krishnatarian now.
          • Jai Shri Krishna..

It's true what you said, It's easy to be a vegetarian but very difficult to be a Krishnatarian.  The tongue is very powerful and needs gradual training in Krishna consciousness. 

This reply was deleted.