Material Desire

Please accept my humble obeisancesIt is stated in Srimad-Bhagavatam that sometimes Lord Krishna fulfills our material desire and at the same time He also makes us not entangled by our material desire. My question is that have you ever experienced that Lord Krishna has fulfilled your material desire but at the same time He makes you more humble?. Please share your experience.Your servant

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Let me give you a good example of JRD Tata. He was not a devotee but Krishna controls every living entity whether he is a devotee or not. Sitting in heart, he fulfils everyone's desire. 

In his authorised biography, 'Beyond the last blue Mountain : A life of J.R.D Tata' by Russi M Lala, the biographer notes that JRD Tata had to abruptly stop his studies when he was just in the tenth grade and return to India to join his father in their family business. He wanted to study in an Ivy League college but his desire remain unfulfilled. 

When he joined his family business, he was surrounded by his company professionals who were more sophistically educated than him. This always gave him a complex. Throughout his life, he felt guilty that he was not adequately educated. However, despite of this perceived debility, he went on to build one of the largest industrial houses in India. He was bestowed with India's highest civilian award Bharat Ratna in 1992. He later emerged as the father of Indian civil aviation. On his death, the Indian Parliament was adjourned in his memory – an honour not usually given to persons who are not members of parliament. 

What is most important in the context of this discussion is that, his biographer notes that had he been an alumni of an Ivy league, he would never have been a humble person. He would have been some sort of snobbish. Initial failure to fulfil his education desires, made him a very humble person. His humility touched each and everyone.

Our current Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi was born in a very poor family. He always says that his early hard life made him strong and helped him in his political career. Due to his earlier humble background, he is able to mingle with even a poor person in a friendly manner despite of being very popular.   

Thus, God gives something and takes away something to keep us grounded. He does not give everyone everything.  

• Very true. Thank you.

• I had this experience prabhu.
    My work for example, I took a break of 5 years from working when my second child was born.
    But all other Mataji friends were working and was getting promoted to senior positions.
    I kind of felt sad, my previous manager contacted to offer a position, that is how I could go back to work again.
    Other wise IT world keep changing it is hard to get back in.
    Krishna gave me entrance in to a position but made sure my ego is crushed many fold, people have such a greed to grow in their career, I try to be straight forward and open, people trample upon to make sure I'm not on the way to their growth.
    • Mataji, in the year 2010, Economic Times covered a story of women like you who took a break for several years and were lucky to find job again after many years had passed. These days, few good company in India are helping women become a part of workforce again after taking a break for several years. Below is the article : 

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2010-02-19/news/284677...

• Nice article prabhu. Thank you.
    • i agree

• Got the clarification just now on the question from Veeral prabhu. Thank you for that.
      In case of fulfilling a material desire which itself is an obstacle to spiritual growth,
      In Mataji terms I can say purchasing gold ornaments I can take as an example,
      I kind of have a desire but if I look at consequences, it wastes lot of money, it attracts thiefs,
      It creates envy in my Mataji friends, thinking like that I stay away from it. So in conclusion thinking how that desire Is not good for our spiritual growth can help us come out I believe.
This reply was deleted.