Marriage

Hare Krishna, My Respectful Obeisances to all Vaishnavas. I have one Query, I want to know that how important is the matching of the horoscope for the marriage between the devotees? What role the horoscopes perform in marriage?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "I know there are nice astrologers among Devotees also Prabhu."

Mataji they may be many who are very nice and kind and humble and have so many other qualities. But my question is: "are they competent and well trained?" The answer to that is no, because there are no standards that are enforced. This may sound harsh to you but most of them are quacks because they have no training but are self proclaimed. Or worse they study with people like David Frawley or Sanjay Rath et al.

• This is not a good definition of a good astrologer. Certainly they must be a devotee of the Lord but they must also be highly trained and competent. You can not afford to be sentimental when choosing your doctor or astrologer actual competence in the science is required.

Here is a very good article on the subject

http://www.dandavats.com/?p=12941

TOVP Canada Team To Promote TOVP In Canada
        By Sunanda das Officially formed under the banner of the Toronto, Ontario temple with the guidance and inspiration of His Holiness Bhaktimarga Swami,…
      • They may be nice, but are they qualified as astrologers? Unfortunately there are many not so qualified astrologers in ISKCON.

A few years ago I was in Mayapura and met this "nice" European lady who claimed to be an ayurvedic doctor so I asked her if she did "nadi pariksha?" She looked blank and said no. I could immediately tell she was not an ayurvedic doctor but just claiming to be in order to make money from others selling her "herbs." "Nadi Pariksha" is the ayurvedic practice of checking the pulse to exactly determine which dosha is vitiated. So just as there are not so qualified ayurvedic doctors in ISKCON the same with astrologers.

• Volunteer

they are every where Prabhu.

If one is in ISKCON it does not mean that he or she is a completely perfect person. One is trying to be so.

I may be a teacher but not yet so qualified. But i am trying my best to be perfect in teaching. So it is the same with other professions.

Krishna does not see expertise but sees the sincerity.

And one part of sincerity is that if one is not yet so qualified then one should be paid accordingly also. So it will be fear.

Your servant in serving Srila Prabhupada,

• "Advice from an insufficiently qualified or ill-motivated so-called astrologer is liable to be useless or worse. The Ayurvedic authority Caraka repeatedly warns against quacks, considering their treatment more dangerous than poison. As with medicine, astrology is too complex to be mastered simply by self-study of textbooks. Just as no one today is allowed to practice medicine without being duly certified, no one in Vedic culture was allowed to practice Ayurveda, astrology, or any other important discipline without first being fully trained and authenticated by a recognized master. Without such training, even an astrologer who has been practicing for many years is liable to commit  basic errors. Simplistic readings, such as those available from several websites, often miss important insights that can be revealed only by the probing of an experienced astrologer."  http://www.dandavats.com/?p=13091

Astrology
            By Bhakti Vikas Swami "Regarding astrology, you should not listen to any of these so-called astrologers—strictly avoid. Don’t even see them. What is…
  • HARE KRISHNA PRABHUJI.  DANDVAT!!!!!!!!  Prabhuji it is totally depend on the customs of the family.  If you & your family is into the full devotion of Lord Krishna who is fully bless with the devotion of Lord Krishna then I do not think so that you should match the kundly because pure devotee of Lord Krishna leaves everything onto the Lotus Feet of Lord Krishna.  Because Lord Krishna is the supreme personality of Godhead who is the chief cause of every cause.  But if you think that only u r at home who is the only in devotional service of Lord Krishna and rest of the family member are just regular devotee then just leave the kundly Milan on parents if they belive on it. You just pray from the Lord Shri RadhaKrishna to gift you a wonderful house maker who should be the devotee of them and if not but at least she should be respectful on your faith & trust towards Lord Shri RadhaKrishna.  Last but not the least one thing I would like to say that everything has been decided by Lord Krishna for all living being & in a very sophisticated manner.  Everything is pre-written nothing can be re-written.  Just put your true faith in Lord Shri RadhaKrishna you will get decent life partner.

We wish you very all the best for your partner search.

Hare Krishna!

Your Humble Servant

Bhuwan Dutt Bawari

Hari Bol

• well said

• Your question is answered in  SB 3.21.15 Purport  whicch is as follows -

In spite of his condemning persons who approach the Lord for material advantages, Kardama Muni expressed his material inability and desire before the Lord by saying, "Although I know that nothing material should be asked from You, I nevertheless desire to marry a girl of like disposition." The phrase "like disposition" is very significant. Formerly, boys and girls of similar dispositions were married; the similar natures of the boy and girl were united in order to make them happy. Not more than twenty-five years ago, and perhaps it is still current, parents in India used to consult the horoscope of the boy and girl to see whether there would be factual union in their psychological conditions. These considerations are very important. Nowadays marriage takes place without such consultation, and therefore, soon after the marriage, there is divorce and separation. Formerly husband and wife used to live together peacefully throughout their whole lives, but nowadays it is a very difficult task.
    Kardama Muni wanted to have a wife of like disposition because a wife is necessary to assist in spiritual and material advancement. It is said that a wife yields the fulfillment of all desires in religion, economic development and sense gratification. If one has a nice wife, he is to be considered a most fortunate man. In astrology, a man is considered fortunate who has great wealth, very good sons or a very good wife. Of these three, one who has a very good wife is considered the most fortunate. Before marrying, one should select a wife of like disposition and not be enamored by so-called beauty or other attractive features for sense gratification. In the Bhägavatam, Twelfth Canto, it is said that in the Kali-yuga marriage will be based on the consideration of sex life; as soon as there is deficiency in sex life, the question of divorce will arise.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Its a matter of belief - when I was to get married, my seniors advised me to match horoscopes. In the earlier times, there was no concept of 'getting to know each other' or 'live in'. Then on what basis would marriages take place? It was on the basis of guna matching. When this is matched, these can also be found out - financial, sexual and nature compatibility. I have heard some astrologers say that the husband's time is very bad, but the wife's kundali is strong at that time, so they pull out of all problems, or manage to tide over that bad time.

Having said that - there are a lot of marriages that do not survive despite matching horoscopes, and there are a lot of marriages that have survived despite no matching or after marriage, the couple found out that it doesnt match.

Take your pick.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi  

• It is not a matter of belief it is a matter of expertise at astrology. Just like everything else some are better than others and you need to find the good ones and avoid the bad ones.

This reply was deleted.