Law of karma - how it works?

Hare krishna!

I Believe in the law of karma,but one of my relatives say it is false....

He says,"we do karma according to our time,situation and place"..."we hindu kill small things b/c we didnt learn to kill large things like humans etc" she adds.

For example : you are sitting in a room and you find a bit insect which is harmful and you have the material means to kill it,so you will...if someone says anything bad to you,you will think bad about him....thinking is also a karma,so where is our mistake? when we speak/walk many bacteria's get killed,so the jain's wear a mask on their mouth,so they may not kill any living being...if ur head is filled with lice's,you will remove them and kill them,so where is our fault?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• one more question!

even if you life is threatened by harmful pests/insects..even than u can't kill them? Someone told me that is is permitted when one's own life is threatened by animals...it is in human nature to defend..

• Maybe you are trying to ask a question like,

when you are being threatened by a ferocious street dog which is on a biting spree, then is it okay to defend or even go to an extent of killing it?

This was the similar situation of Arjuna in Kurukshetra. You will act according to your nature. Mostly, you will try to defend and if that doesn't help, you will go to an extent of killing the animal. But this is a Karma in itself and you will be bound by it unless you are a Karma Yogi( you lose the sense of doership and not get attached to the results).

When you are in the state of Karma Yogi, you will know that it is your lower self(Prakriti) which is performing the actions and not you and knowing such, you will remain un-attached to the actions and its results as well.

If some person comes with a weapon running towards you to harm you, what would you do? Obviously you try to defend.

Be a Karma Yogi. Rest assured, you will be on the right path.

• Thank you all very much..All your answers satisfied me a lot and I hope that I'll be able to convince my relative as well :) Once again thank you everyone for you kind replies,And Hare krishna!

• Hare krishna

All Glories to Srila Prabhupada.

All glories to sri Guru and gauranga

Karanam Guna sangasya.

The Pure Soul which is qualitatively one with lord when it comes into this material world,it will take different bodies depending upon it's association with 3 modes of material nature and will be put into different situation depending upon his actions pertaining to the 3 modes.Every thing we see in this world is just the effects of this 3 modes.

Karma=Our association with these modes and the reaction of this modes

It will only effect the body of the soul.The soul remains pure untouched by any modes.

Fro killing insects and some germs also we incur sin.That why in past brahmanas will chant some mantras to get rid of that unknownly did sins.But main sins like meat eating,gambling,illisit sex and intoxication are main cause of our suffering in this world.By chanting hare krishna we can kill all the sins and also it will burn the tendency to do that also.

Please read prabhupada's small books like life comes from life and laws of nature to understand the subject matter perfectly and also read Bagavat Gita 14 chapter to understand about the 3 modes and karma.

Hare krishna.

world.by
  • E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

So effectively you are saying that killing is inevitable for all life forms, then why make it karma for humans and give reactions.

Killing is inevitable for all life forms because that is how the eco system is made and these other life forms are not having the intelligence to discern between right and wrong, therefore there is no karma for them. Only the humna form of life has the intelligence and mostly that is misused. All other life forms also kill and even eat what they kill, but they kill for their need to eat and survive. How many life forms kill as a pastime or to make tasty dishes out of it?

Example of lice in hair or mosquito in the house - a normal person will kill them. But once you reach the maha bhagavata stage, you will not want to dispose of them also. You will tolerate and think of them as life, Krsna's children. Until we reach that stage, it is advisable to maintain a high standard of cleanliness and hygeine.  

When you get into spirituality and progress, you will not feel bad when someone says anything bad about you. You will try to learn the lesson and think - this suffering is due to my own karma only.

I hope I have been able to answer your questions.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

This reply was deleted.