Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krishna Cittahari Janardana Prabhu! You put a very nice question.

Let's understand what is the difference in between Yoga Maya and Mahamaya as explained by Srilla Prabhupada Himself in one of His lecture:

Prabhupāda: Yogamāyā? Yogamāyā means that which connects you. Yoga means connection. When you are being gradually advanced in Kṛṣṇa consciousness, that is the action of yogamāyā. And when you are gradually forgetting Kṛṣṇa, that is the action of mahāmāyā. Māyā is acting upon you. The one is dragging you, and one is pushing you opposite way. Yogamāyā. So, just like the example, that you are always under the laws of government. You cannot deny. If you say, “I don’t agree to abide by the laws of government,” that is not possible. But when you are a criminal, you are under the police laws, and when you are gentleman, you are under the civil laws. The laws are there. In any situation, you have to obey the laws of government. If you remain as a civilized citizen, then you are always protected by the civil law. But as soon as you are against the state, the criminal law will act upon you. So the criminal activities of law is mahāmāyā, threefold miseries, always. Always putting in some sort of misery. And the civil department of Kṛṣṇa, ānandāmbudhi-vardhanam. You simply go on increasing the, I mean to say, depth of the ocean of joy. Ānandambudhi-vardhanam. That is the difference, yogamāyā and mahāmāyā. Yogamāyā is… Yogamāyā, the original yogamāyā, is Kṛṣṇa’s internal potency. That is Rādhārāṇī. And mahāmāyā is external potency, Durgā. This Durgā is explained in Brahma-saṁhitā, sṛṣṭi-sthiti-pralaya-sādhana-śaktir ekā chāyeva yasya bhuvanāni bibharti durgā (Bs. 5.44). Durgā is the superintending goddess of this whole material world. Everything is going on under his, under her control. Prakṛti, prakṛti is energy. Energy is accepted as feminine. Just like these materialistic persons, they are also working under some energy. What is that energy? The sex life. That’s all. They’re troubling so much: “Oh, at night I’ll have sex life.” That’s all. That is the energy. Yan maithunādi-gṛhamedhi-sukhaṁ hi tuccham (SB 7.9.45). Their life is based on the sex. That’s all. Everyone is working so hard, culminating in sex. That’s all. This is material life. So energy. The material energy means sex. So that is energy. If a person who is working in the factory, if you stop sex, he cannot work. And when he’s unable to enjoy sex life, then he takes intoxication. This is material life. So energy must be there. Here in the material world the energy is sex, and in the spiritual world the energy is love. Here the love is misrepresented in sex. That is not love; that is lust. Love is only possible with Kṛṣṇa, nowhere else. Nowhere else love is possible. That is misrepresentation of love. That is lust. So love and lust. Love is yogamāyā, and lust is mahāmāyā. That’s all. (from Lecture Seattle, October 18, 1968)

Next question is Why Krishna is covered by Yoga maya?

It is very advanced subject matter.

Although it is not right to tell you this confidential matter in public because of your poor fund materialistic knowledge; however, I am quoting it from Caitanya Caritramrita.

from the 4th chapter of the Sri Caitanya-caritamrta Adi-lila, wherin Srila Prabhupada was describing the yogamaya potency…

…Yogamāyā is the name of the internal potency that makes the Lord forget Himself and become an object of love for His pure devotee in different transcendental mellows. This yogamāyā potency creates a spiritual sentiment in the minds of the damsels of Vraja by which they think of Lord Kṛṣṇa as their paramour.

In a nut shell, I will give one example about your internal desire-- which may some time manifest in you in due course of time by the Supreme will of the Lord Krisnha--to go for enjoyment or distress. If you are asked by some one why are you enjoying or suffering. What will you answer? Certainly the answer is due to your internal desire which has covered your inteligence or mind. You can not say why I am covered with my desires? No one can stay away with out any internal desire. Similarly, the Supreme Lord's internal potency is Yoga Maya or known as Radharani. Because Srimati Radharani is the top most devotee of the Lord, it is not possible for the Supreme Lord Sri Krishna to be not covered Himself without her. That's why Krishna was incarnated as Lord Caitanya who was the combination of Sri Krishna and Radharani.Just to taste the mood of love of Radharani, Lord Caitanya was incarnated.

Hope this will make you a clear understanding.

If still you have any doubt, you may ask.

Thank you,

• Hare Krishna ,Prabhuji.Many many thanks for you marvellous answer.Now I understand this matter.

• So we trust our mother, and Her powerful grip on our lives.
    And for Her to be brought out in a mood that is not conducive to Her Sweetest nature is frightfully disturbing & dangerous. So we must all Chan't peacefully payshuntly and properly. Please Chan't Properly! The Name of Haray Krishna & Rama with correct enunciation The future of the movement known as the chanting of the Holly Names, just might depend upon it! All Glorys to the Hari Jamal Sankeartonna movement all Glorys to those who will be chanting them for 10,000 years. (Haray Bolah)
  • Krishna's Consciousness is impeccable He is never not the master of YoagMya- we however do need to Chant and behave properly. The scriptures often state that a signal syllable mispronounced can invoke the wrong meaning and thereby the wrong response from the object being, being honored. Like the mother cat, who's powerful jaws are the refuge of Her child and the death gripe to any others. This yogaMya-has no power beyond the will of God. Nothin can happen with out God's participation nothing.
  • Thanks

• You're welcome

• Hare Krishna prabhu ji!!

Can you please tell me what is yogmaya and mahamaya, how come devotees are ruled by Yogmaya???

Thanks...

• Yogamaya is the internal, spiritual energy of the Lord - His saviour, ecstatic energy which the exalted devotees experience.

Mahamaya is the great illusion - material nature. 

• Is the sun covered by the clouds?
    Only from your perspective.
This reply was deleted.