KRISHNA OR FAMILY ----- DILEMMA !!

Dear Prabhuji's and Mataji's,

Hare Krishna. Please accept My Humble obeisances!

All Glories to Srila Prabhupada.

I am 24 Years old working in MNC. I have lot of questions in my mind and would like to share one of them and looking for suggestions as i am not able to understand the situation.. What to do and what not. Possibly i can get answers here.

When i first went to Vrindavan in April this year i was thinking it would just be a regular trips to Temple or any the sacred place but taking part in Mangla aarti and sitting in ISKCON infront of the supreme LORD i felt so quiet and peace within which i cannot even explain.

I did not even know when i get so close with Krishna ji that i now go there every month and do japas every day. I am also doing sewa for Bal Gopal ji at my home.

My family and friends are not supporting in this as they think i am being mad as i was an agnostic person who used to go to parties and had habbit like cig, booze, eating meat an everything.

I have left everything now but yes to be honest i m still struggling with the cigarettes which i know i will overcome very soon.

My family is very concerned and worried that why i am being like this and why i have changed myself now. They do believe in GOD but the way i believe they don't understand that.

whenever i go Vrindavan i don't feel like coming back but i had to come forcefully. I go to nearby ISKCON TEMPLE once in a week and sit there for hours which again my family doesn't like.

I am getting unfavorable response from my friends too as they criticize a lot when they see me chanting and stuff. If anyone here can tell me what needs to be done to make my family understand as i do not want to leave them as they say i don't give them enough time which is needed.

Please if anything that i have to do from myself let me know.

Hare Krishna !

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare KRsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Welcome to ISKCON and to Krsna Consciousness.

That is the situation of the world nowadays - people are happy to see us with vices like wine, women and cigarettes, but cannot accept when we try to improve ourselves.

That conviction you need to have inside you - in your case, it is an inner calling. Nobody said anything to you - by simply going to the temple, the change happened in your heart. You know without our telling you that this is the right thing to do - eating non veg, m=smoking or drinking is not. For starters, simply tell your family they should be happy you are giving up vices which could be life threatening going forward. Why are they wanting you to give up good habits you are trying to inculcate?

I think they are getting a shock because they never expected this. Give them 6 months, you be firm on your sadhana, chant your committed rounds without fail, read Bhagavad Gita, eat vegeterian food, maintain healthy lifestyle of sleeping and waking up early, do mangalarti (if possible). they will gradually come around.

Regarding friends not being supportive, once you are convinced, you will be equally convinced that either your friends accept you with your KC or they dont remain friends with you at all. That is what happened to me. I was still in school when I started - my friends who accepted my devotion are still my friends, others are not. This becomes the most important part of life, you will realise. You dont have to leave them, they will automtically leave to find another 'glass mate'.

It would be nice if you could get into a congregation - you mentioned visiting your local ISKCON temple and attending Sunday program. Ask them if they have any congregation program apart from this and if possible, join that group. Then you will be making Krsna Conscious friends or atleast people who are attempting to walk down this path and you will find life becoming simpler.

Regarding family, at 24, they cannot pressurise you much - you are already an adult. If you are convinced, you stick to this. If you are having doubts, please mention them, we will attempt to clear them. This is the right path prabhuji. Pls follow this path, you will get unlimited joy on this journey. You shoudl nto attempt to preach to your family at all right now - you should get a senior devotee to visit your house if possible and sit with parents and talk to them. Its just a matter of time, you are doing no wrong - they will come around.

Best of luck and do keep in touch,

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• Thank yo so much Rashmi Mataji for kind reply.

This is true that nowadays no one accepts if you want to change yourself which is very upsetting.

Definitely, if they don't understand my point of view and feelings that i have for my Lord then they are not the friends. i think i should seek someone with the same feeling which i have who could at least understand me and MY KC. My Parents.. they do believe God but they rarely do pooja's only on occasions but not regularly.

I will surely ask about congregation program in my next visit to ISKCON and will try to make my parents understand and am sure one day they will accept it because am not gonna leave my Sadhna and chantings for anyone.

By all the information you gave me, trust me you have lessen my burden atleast 50%.

Thank you so much for you reply on this again!

Hare Krishna !

This reply was deleted.