Volunteer

Japa vs Sankirtana

If Sankirtana is the method, for Kali Yuga, Japa, the method for Krita yuga, why is so much importance given to Japa and not Sankirtana?

Srimad Bhagavatam 12.3.52

krte yad dhyayato visnum

tretayam yajato makhaih

dvapare paricaryayam

kalau tad dhari-kirtanat

SYNONYMS

krte -- in the Satya-yuga; yat -- which; dhyayatah -- from meditation; visnum -- on Lord Visnu; tretayam -- in the Treta-yuga; yajatah -- from worshiping; makhaih -- by performing sacrifices; dvapare -- in the age of Dvapara; paricaryayam -- by worshiping the lotus feet of Krsna; kalau -- in the age of Kali; tat -- that same result (can be achieved); hari-kirtanat -- simply by chanting the Hare Krsna maha-mantra.

TRANSLATION

Whatever result was obtained in Satya-yuga by meditating on Visnu, in Treta-yuga by performing sacrifices, and in Dvapara-yuga by serving the Lord's lotus feet can be obtained in Kali-yuga simply by chanting the Hare Krsna maha-mantra.

PURPORT

A similar verse is found in the Visnu Purana (6.2.17), and also in the Padma Purana (Uttara-khanda 72.25) and the Brhan-naradiya Purana (38.97):

dhyayan krte yajan yajnais

tretayam dvapare 'rcayan

yad apnoti tad apnoti

kalau sankirtya kesavam

"Whatever is achieved by meditation in Satya-yuga, by the performance of sacrifice in Treta-yuga, and by the worship of Lord Krsna's lotus feet in Dvapara-yuga is obtained in the age of Kali simply by glorifying the name of Lord Kesava."

Srila Jiva Gosvami has further quoted from the Brahma-vaivarta Purana concerning the degraded condition of people in Kali-yuga:

atah kalau tapo-yoga-

vidya-yajnadikah kriyah

sanga bhavanti na krtah

kusalair api dehibhih

"Thus in the age of Kali the practices of austerity, yoga meditation, Deity worship, sacrifice and so on, along with their various subsidiary functions, are not properly carried out, even by the most expert embodied souls.

Srila Jiva Gosvami has also cited the Caturmasya-mahatmya of the Skanda Purana concerning the necessity of chanting Hare Krsna in this age:

tatha caivottamam loke

tapah sri-hari-kirtanam

kalau yuge visesena

visnu-prityai samacaret

"In this way the most perfect penance to be executed in this world is the chanting of the name of Lord Sri Hari. Especially in the age of Kali, one can satisfy the Supreme Lord Visnu by performing sankirtana.''

In conclusion, massive propaganda should be made all over the world to induce people to chant the Hare Krsna mantra, by which human society can be rescued from the dangerous ocean of the age of Kali.

When Haridas Takore was asked how do you preach a non believer without committing an offence/Namaparada?

Haridas Takore Said,

"This the way by which the whole world will be inundated

with the chanting of the holy name: with loud congregational

chanting, the holy name is to be propagated widely among the

masses.  Those who are faithful will come forward and choose a

bona fide spiritual master, receiving instructions and initiation

in the name from him.  By sincere chanting they will surely

obtain love of Godhead, Krsnaprema."

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Jai ShriKrishna..

Dear Prabhu,  our devotion to Krishna is our enjoyment. No offence taken and none intended.

• Volunteer

Manoj Prabhu,

Devotional service means, by definition doing what Krishna wants.

Arjuna on the battlefield laments saying that if I win the war and kill my own kinsmen I will not enjoy....

Arjuna was thinking it was ALL about HIS enjoyment. Its all about KRISHNA's enjoyment. NOT his!!

Its all about what does Krishna want? What is more pleasing to Krishna?

Not what will make ME happy!

If you are in devotion to Krishna for your enjoyment, then you are missing the point.

What will happen if all of a sudden you no longer enjoy the devotional service, then what?

• Jai Shri Krishna..

Are you not enjoying doing Sankirtan for Krishna's pleasure?  Now answer your own question,  what will you do when you do not enjoy doing Sankirtan?  Will you be then doing it because you don't enjoy it?

When Arjuna said that he'll not enjoy, he was thinking of material connections with his kinsmen.  When you are materially detached then you'll enjoy performing your spiritual duty.  As I'm enjoying doing Sankirtan, Japa, Abhishek.. all this for my Lord's pleasure.  

I derive enjoyment and pleasure by serving the Lord.

• Volunteer

I hope I understood what you said and viceversa.

All I am saying is if we do it for our pleasure, we dont enjoy it anymore, then we can give up and look for something we enjoy.

On the contrary, if we do it for Lord's pleasure, even if you dont enjoy it, you still do it.

Come to think of it, in the beginning like a jaundice patient, how sugar tastes bitter, same way Holy Name of Krishna doesnt taste sweet. But the remedy for the jaundice is to continue eating sugar in certain doses and over time as one get cured, start to taste the sweetness of sugar. Same way we continue chanting the Holy Names, we start to taste the sweetness.....

• Hare Krishna Prabhu

Dandvats pranam 

japa means we doing spritiual progress only himself progress and Harinam Sankiratana means we are doing progrees not even himself even all human bieng who litsen the holy name of lord

Your Servant 

Ravi

This reply was deleted.