Volunteer

Japa vs Sankirtana

If Sankirtana is the method, for Kali Yuga, Japa, the method for Krita yuga, why is so much importance given to Japa and not Sankirtana?

Srimad Bhagavatam 12.3.52

krte yad dhyayato visnum

tretayam yajato makhaih

dvapare paricaryayam

kalau tad dhari-kirtanat

SYNONYMS

krte -- in the Satya-yuga; yat -- which; dhyayatah -- from meditation; visnum -- on Lord Visnu; tretayam -- in the Treta-yuga; yajatah -- from worshiping; makhaih -- by performing sacrifices; dvapare -- in the age of Dvapara; paricaryayam -- by worshiping the lotus feet of Krsna; kalau -- in the age of Kali; tat -- that same result (can be achieved); hari-kirtanat -- simply by chanting the Hare Krsna maha-mantra.

TRANSLATION

Whatever result was obtained in Satya-yuga by meditating on Visnu, in Treta-yuga by performing sacrifices, and in Dvapara-yuga by serving the Lord's lotus feet can be obtained in Kali-yuga simply by chanting the Hare Krsna maha-mantra.

PURPORT

A similar verse is found in the Visnu Purana (6.2.17), and also in the Padma Purana (Uttara-khanda 72.25) and the Brhan-naradiya Purana (38.97):

dhyayan krte yajan yajnais

tretayam dvapare 'rcayan

yad apnoti tad apnoti

kalau sankirtya kesavam

"Whatever is achieved by meditation in Satya-yuga, by the performance of sacrifice in Treta-yuga, and by the worship of Lord Krsna's lotus feet in Dvapara-yuga is obtained in the age of Kali simply by glorifying the name of Lord Kesava."

Srila Jiva Gosvami has further quoted from the Brahma-vaivarta Purana concerning the degraded condition of people in Kali-yuga:

atah kalau tapo-yoga-

vidya-yajnadikah kriyah

sanga bhavanti na krtah

kusalair api dehibhih

"Thus in the age of Kali the practices of austerity, yoga meditation, Deity worship, sacrifice and so on, along with their various subsidiary functions, are not properly carried out, even by the most expert embodied souls.

Srila Jiva Gosvami has also cited the Caturmasya-mahatmya of the Skanda Purana concerning the necessity of chanting Hare Krsna in this age:

tatha caivottamam loke

tapah sri-hari-kirtanam

kalau yuge visesena

visnu-prityai samacaret

"In this way the most perfect penance to be executed in this world is the chanting of the name of Lord Sri Hari. Especially in the age of Kali, one can satisfy the Supreme Lord Visnu by performing sankirtana.''

In conclusion, massive propaganda should be made all over the world to induce people to chant the Hare Krsna mantra, by which human society can be rescued from the dangerous ocean of the age of Kali.

When Haridas Takore was asked how do you preach a non believer without committing an offence/Namaparada?

Haridas Takore Said,

"This the way by which the whole world will be inundated

with the chanting of the holy name: with loud congregational

chanting, the holy name is to be propagated widely among the

masses.  Those who are faithful will come forward and choose a

bona fide spiritual master, receiving instructions and initiation

in the name from him.  By sincere chanting they will surely

obtain love of Godhead, Krsnaprema."

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krishna..

I have a question related to this topic..So kindly dictate me Prabhu ji 

I can't do my Japa with concentration since as a fallen soul I do not have even a bit of taste in Krishna's name but I love to chant his name in sankirtan which is digital since I can't go to Iskcon temple in person. I like to sing the MAHA-MANTRA with the melodies of other instruments and with Devotee's sweet voice. Infact , I like to dance while listening to sankirtana with earphones. So my question is that Can I listen and chant in sankirtana instead of doing Japa because my chanting is also digital since I can't afford a Japa mala as I am only 15 yrs old girl in a non-devotee family. Will listening to sankirtana purify my mind just as Japa does??

• I personally do not understand what you are trying to say.Through Japa one has to purify before joining a Kirtan or congregational chanting.One does not do congregational chanting for propaganda or preaching for the sake of preaching only. One has to see the love in the heart before sharing. Otherwise , congregational chanting is a publicity with no meaning.Japa can be done in any situation by any one. Then when the occasion arises one must share this through sankirtan or any other way.Japa is not concentration nor it is only for advanced devotee. This is for any one and even in Namaparadha stage this is effective.When there is genuine love for Sri Krishna any individual will spontaneously join Sankirtan.Sankirtan should be available as an option at institutional level.But any individuaL including sick,weak ,with disturbed mind or dying can benefit from Japa which may be physical or mental.There is no conflict as such.

• Volunteer

Manmath Prabhu,

You said, "Through Japa one has to purify before joining a Kirtan or congregational chanting.One does not do congregational chanting for propaganda or preaching for the sake of preaching only. One has to see the love in the heart before sharing. Otherwise , congregational chanting is a publicity with no meaning."

Forgive me if I offend you, what you said is not correct at all and is not the teachings of Acharyas. I think you are drawing your own conclusions.

• I am feeling the distinction brought between Japa and Sankirtan by you is artificial and arbitrary. The main goal is love of Krishna.

• Volunteer

Yes you are on the Point Manmath Kumar Prabhu.

Chaitanya Mahaprabhu Instructed us how to achieve and distribute Krishna Prema.

Infact Mahaprabhu only wrote these 8 instuctions of 4 lines each on which books have been written.

Following and Practicing Sankirtana, the 1st Instruction will elevate one to practice the 2nd and higher levels, 8th being Krishna Prema inthe mode of Radha Rani.

Japa is not the instuction of Mahaprabhu to achieve Krishna Prema. Although taking the Names of Krishna a certain number of times everyday (japa) is prescribed by Acharyas and was even followed by Mahaprabhu. Yes Japa is also necessary.

Sankirtana alone, in the age of Kali, will take one to Krishna Prema.

That is my understanding of Shikshastaka Instructions, the only Instructions of Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

Param Vijayate SriKrishna Sankirtanam

• I was and am still bewildererd by the title "Japa vs  Sankirtan". The word  'versus' is inappropriate.There is no antagonism between the two practices. Krishna Prem is granted by Radharani . No human sadhana can grant this. Then if we think we know the method that leads to false ego. The whole idea is that of surrendeing. The surrendering can happen through Japa or through Sankirtan.Japa is not meant for prescribed number of times.One can do this at any time and any situation even when the mind or body are not giving company or enviornment is polluted or there is no practical facility.One can still hope for Krishna Prem  because this is His mercy alone.Home work is necessary to recognize the Mercy when descends.Let this be Japa or Sankirtan or any other appropriate method.

• Volunteer
              That title should really be Japa vs Yajna vs Archanam vs Sankirtanam
    • Jai Shri Krishna..

Perfectly said!..

• Jai Shri Krishna..

Everything to do with Krishna consciousness goes hand in hand.  Sankirtan enjoyed by some japa by others.  Lets try to be perfect in all.

2532353242?profile=original

• Volunteer

Manojkumar Prabhu,

Not everything to do with Krishna consciousness is equal.

Secondly it is not about our enjoyment. Its Krishna's enjoyment.

Why not try to be perfect in the most important "Sankirtana" first?

Please forgive me, if I offended you

This reply was deleted.