(1) Is it compulsory to read Srila Prabhupada's books ONLY?

(2) Is it harmful for new comers to read anything else than Srila Prabhupada's books?

(3) How one can judge by his own that when to start reading some confidential pastimes of Lord without going through proper process or guidance?

I request devotees to help me to find out answer to these questions with reference to Srila Prabhupada and ISKCON Guru's books and lectures.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hare krishna

books of srila prabhupada reading is neccessary becasue after reading the books u have questions than u will go to senior devotee or to u r guru for answering tthe quetion in u r mind than after u r satisfaction. because of this u get the association of senior devotee or u r guru maharaj if u r going for preach that time prabhupada books help u for preaching
    it is not harmful for the new comers who jointly newly in iskcon becasue so many devotees are in iskcon becasue of srila prabhupada books if u r reading prabhupada books it means u r reading the guru parmapara books because prabhupada came through guru parmapara.
    • Volunteer
      Only Srila Prabhupada’s Books To Be Studied

“There is no need by any of my disciples to read any books besides my books – in fact, such reading may be detrimental to their advancement in Krishna Consciousness. All reading of outside books, except in certain authorized cases such as for example to read some philosopher like Plato to make an essay comparing his philosophy with Krishna’s philosophy – but otherwise all such outside reading should be stopped immediately.

It is simply another botheration. If my students cannot even read my own books thoroughly, why they should read others? I have given you TLC, what need is there to read Caitanya Caritamrta translated by someone else. You are right to stop such reading.”
      (Srila Prabhupada Letter to IRM: “Srila Prabhupada’s Books are enough”January 20th, 1972)

“One should not partially study a book just to pose oneself as a great scholar by being able to refer to scriptures. In our Krishna consciousness movement we have therefore limited our study of the Vedic literatures to the Bhagavad-gita, Srimad-Bhagavatam, Caitanya-caritamrta and Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu. These four works are sufficient for preaching purposes.

They are adequate for the understanding of the philosophy and the spreading of missionary activities all over the world. If one studies a particular book, he must do so thoroughly. That is the principle. By thoroughly studying a limited number of books, one can understand the philosophy.”
      (Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Madhya-lila, 22:118, purport)

“You haven’t got to study many books. You just simply study Bhagavad-gita As It Is.”
      (Srila Prabhupada Lecture, September 15th, 1969)

“So there is nothing to be said new. Whatever I have to speak, I have spoken in my books. Now you try to understand it and continue your endeavor. Whether I am present or not present, it doesn’t matter.”
      (Srila Prabhupada Arrival Speech, May 17th, 1977)

Gaudiya Matha Books

“Regarding the Gaudiya Math books being circulated there, who is distributing? Who is sending these books? The Gaudiya Math does not sell our books, why we should sell their books. Who has introduced these books? Let me know. These books should not at all be circulated in our Society.

Bhakti Vilas Tirtha is very much antagonistic to our society and he has no clear conception of devotional service. He is contaminated. Anyway, who has introduced these books? You say that you would read only one book if that was all that I had written, so you teach others to do like that. You have very good determination.”
      (Srila Prabhupada Letter to Sukadeva, November 14th, 1973)

“So if you want to understand Bhagavad-gita, then we must understand in the same way as the person who directly heard from. This is called parampara system. Suppose I have heard something from my spiritual master, so I speak to you the same thing. So this is parampara system. You cannot imagine what my spiritual master said. Or even if you read some books, you cannot understand unless you understand it from me.”
      (Srila Prabhupada Lecture, December 8th, 1973)

“Whatever is to be learned of the teachings of Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura can be learned from our books. There is no need whatsoever for any outside instruction.”
      (Srila Prabhupada Letter to Gurukrpa and Yasodanandana, December 25th, 1973)

Books of the Previous Acharyas

Paramahamsa: Practically speaking, Srila Prabhupada, you are giving us the essence of all the previous acaryas’ books in your books.
      Srila Prabhupada: Yes. Yes.
      (Srila Prabhupada Conversation May 13th, 1975)

“You cannot jump over. You must go through the parampara system. You have to approach through your spiritual master to the Gosvamis.”
      (Srila Prabhupada Lecture, March 28th, 1975)

Srila Prabhupada’s Books Answer All Questions

Devotee: Srila Prabhupada when you’re not present with us, how is it possible to receive instructions? For example in questions that may arise…
      Srila Prabhupada: Well the questions are answ…answers are there in my books.
      (Srila Prabhupada Morning Walk, 13th May 1973)
      • Awesome! Thank you very much prabhu. The answers are perfect coming direct from the lotus mouth of Sri La Prabhupad. The painstaking research shows a heart that is overflowing with love for SP.Hare Krishna!
This reply was deleted.