Hare Krishna guys , i've read somewhere in Garuda Purana that those who consume alcoholic drinks  are punished in hell , as the yama-dutas pour molten iron down their throats.

But what about intoxicating drugs ? Do drug addicts get the same treatment in hell ?

I have a lot of depression & anxiety issues and therefore i sometimes take alprazolam pills which contains the psychoactive drug benzodiazepine. According to online sources, benzodiazepine contains intoxicating properties along with it's muscle relaxant properties.

I would like to know whether such drugs are prohibited in the scriptures or not ? (drugs that helps you relax but contains intoxicating properties as well).

Thanks.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you are suffering from anxiety attacks you should stick with your medications. Consult your doctors. Try positive thinking. It takes a little time and practice but it works. Let's be practical. Chanting Hare Krishna and being happy will NOT work instantaneously. For the PURE DEVOTEES it does work. But since we are novices and taking baby steps towards spiritual fulfillment taking your medication to help yourself continue with life and at the same time trying to connect with the Lord through His names is permissible and forgivable. You have a disease and you're trying to cure yourself through a permissible medicine and not taking drugs (heroin, meth etc.) for the sake of sense gratification. That is OK. Get well and good luck!

• Hare Krishna prabhuji

Dandvat pranam

I know about both these drugs - I understand that u took them to survive in a tough phase - but from my personal experience I can say that:

1. people get a tougher time to get rid of these medicines. they will simply squeeze out more from you when u try to get rid of them. the sooner you stop them better it is.

2. i have experienced that (pratically) the Mahamantra works on those same set of muscles and tissues of different parts of the body and brain where these drugs work, but in a constructive way.

So, have strong faith on the trancendental sound vibration of the mahamantra - It works!

In the beginning you need to have patience, if u r feeling irritated without those medicines -  chant loudly and call out Lord for help. Your problems will dissappear.

• Here is a personal story

I took the benzodiazepine under doctors prescription for severe panic attacks and anxiety

they are addicting which is bad first of all

my attacks were very severe and with bad physical symptoms like could not breath tightness in throat and extreme discomfort-- I also have many health issues to deal with besides which made me very stressed

so I found when I increased my sadhana they gradually went away..

now I also had really bad nightmares from them of people trying to kill me

I took it that was Krishna reminding me of the Yama duttas

So I quit the pills as they have bad side affects

Rely on Doctors to advise you but do what you must to practice devotional service

Be practical don't try to be a super man and pray to Krishna to save you

gajendra-2b.jpg

Liberation of Gajendra

He likes that

Pray to Krishna--He is waiting for you to depend on Him

ys

Basu Gopal Das

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

I understand that clinical depression has to be treated medically. If the drug prescribed to you contains some intoxicating properties, so be it. You have to treat the illness, at the same time practise alternate methods like pranaayam and meditation. The best form of meditation is chanting the holy name of the lord.

Pls take medicines as prescribed by your doctor, at the same time, strengthen your sadhana and practise in the association of devotees. Soon, you will find the need for taking anti depressents itself is not there.

Do not take madicines out of your wish, take as prescribed by doctor.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Thanks Prabhujis and Rashmi mam. Yes i do chant but not on a regular basis. I guess i need to chant more often. And to tell you the truth Rashmi mam , i was taking those pills without Doc's prescriptions as i thought there's no need to pay him a visit since he would have prescribed me those same pills anyway. lol.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

You could consider visiting an ayurvedic doctor if cost is a factor for you. The treatments are longer, but more natural and safer. Who knows, maybe you wont have to take intoxicating drugs at all.

You do need to strengthen your sadhana, for sure.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Volunteer

http://www.vedabase.com/en/bg/18/66

Read, re-read, re re-read, re re re-read, until you come to the conclusion that "All I need to do is just surrender myself to Krsna".

Chant and be happy.
    All glories to Srila Prabhupad.
    hare krsna

• Image result for chant hare krishna and be happy

• Volunteer

Couldnt help but smile at your response. What more can be said than to chant hare krsna and be happy.

Perfect prabhu.

This reply was deleted.