Hare Krsna,

jaya prabhupada! Jaya gurudeva! 

Please enlighten me with the information whether, exercise is recommended for a vaishnava? so that the body overweight may not become an impediment in spiritual progress? Srila prabhupada said that exercise is not required as the devotees in the temple dance for the pleasure of the lord, but what should an unfortunate person do who does not have this oppurtunity?

Trying to be your servant,

Haribabu.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You did not offend me at all. Since I have already explained you Japa is as natural as breathing. It is not concentration.When it comes naturally you don't stop it. It is for every one and in every situation and comes from sincere effort and not from showmanship. It can be very silent,can be only mental or it can be loud or it can be sankirtan. Do not be so critical of other devotees and think Japa as consisting of sixteen rounds or a fashion.Japa is establishing a personal relationship with the Lord and comes from a surrendering heart. I am sorry you still do not see the value of Japa for each and every living being and in every situation.

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna Manmath Nayak Prabhu,

It just irritates me to see some, like professional devotees walking around with a bead bag, all day long doing japa while talking to people etc etc. Thats is disrespectful chanting make people appear to show off and el fako. Much less they act like big devotees, because they have been chanting for 25 years. Yes offensive chanting can give liberation, no doubt. It is not fair for the people, they will be talking to while offensive chanting, causing them also become responsible for their offensive chanting.

Japa of 16 rounds with proper attention can be carried on first thing when one wakes up, for about 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Srila Prabhupada has asked us to chant 16 rounds and It is very important.

Namacharya Haridas Takore in Harinama Chintamani says that we must perform Japa as loudly as possible, so the other spirit souls will get benefited by our loud Japa

At the very least, it must be loud enough so we can hear the chanting so japa can benefit us. Yes you are also correct that Japa can be very silent. Thats how it was performed in Satya Yuga.

It is perfectly ok to be critical of bad practices as long as am not critical to devotees in particular. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I do see the value of Japa. Sorry about the miscommunication. Please do pray for me, so I may carry on my Japa with more desire.

• It was my good fortune to have participated in a sincere, thought provoking and valuable discussion.I am personally grateful for your sincere comments .Wish you all the best.

• Exercise is essential to some extent in modern day life. While doing exercise mind can still be on Mahamantra through Mahamantra Japa and not on one's body so much.We are not living in a very ideal enviornment in the modern age.We are not ignoring science and we can't when this is factual. Only thing is we recognize there is a higher spiritual science and material science answers only the physical aspect. If one is dancing a lot and doing Mahamantra sankirtan one may not need exercise as Swami Prabhupada said. Otherwise,one can do Japa in any situation and even while doing exercise .Body has to be taken good care ,not for body's sake.Goal is eventually developing love for Lord Krishna.

This reply was deleted.