Is chanting a magic formula?

Can one consider the chanting of the Hare Krishna maha mantra a magic formula? Regardless of how fallen one may be, if he or she takes up the chanting of Hare Krishna, will the "magic" happen and will one become a devotee? What if there is really no sincerity, just an intellectual decision to do the chanting because that's what makes sense because everything else (material life in general) is just hopeless? I know this sounds like I'm trying to "get" something in return for the chanting, like a business deal. And I know the real attitude one must have is just to love and please Krishna without expecting anything in return. But, then, I chant because I want something in return? Any devotees out there care to give some feedback on this?Please forgive any offenses in posing this question.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer
     Hare Krsna Prabhu.When a devotee revives his loving service to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, it should be understood that he has been successful in achieving the desired goal of his life. At that time everything is automatically done by the mercy of the holy name, and the devotee automatically advances in his spiritual progress.

CC. - adi lila- 7:84-Translation and purport. 

"'Religiosity, economic development, sense gratification and liberation are known as the four goals of life, but before love of Godhead, the fifth and highest goal, these appear as insignificant as straw in the street.'"

While chanting the holy name of the Lord, one should not desire the material advancements represented by religiosity, economic development, sense gratification and ultimately liberation from the material world. As stated by Caitanya Mahāprabhu, the highest perfection in life is to develop one"s love for Kṛṣṇa (premā pum-artho mahān śrī-caitanya-mahāprabhor matam idam). When we compare love of Godhead with religiosity, economic development, sense gratification and liberation, we can understand that these achievements may be desirable objectives for bubhukṣus, or those who desire to enjoy this material world, and mumukṣus, or those who desire liberation from it, but they are very insignificant in the eyes of a pure devotee who has developed bhāva, the preliminary stage of love of Godhead.

Dharma (religiosity), artha (economic development), kāma (sense gratification) and mokṣa (liberation) are the four principles of religion that pertain to the material world. Therefore in the beginning of Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam it is declared, dharmaḥ projjhita-kaitavo ’tra: (SB 1.1.2) cheating religious systems in terms of these four material principles are completely discarded from Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam, for Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam teaches only how to develop one's dormant love of God. The Bhagavad-gītā is the preliminary study of Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam, and therefore it ends with the words sarva-dharmān parityajya mām ekaṁ śaraṇaṁ vraja: "Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me." (BG 18.66) To adopt this means, one should reject all ideas of religiosity, economic development, sense gratification and liberation and fully engage in the service of the Lord, which is transcendental to these four principles. Love of Godhead is the original function of the spirit soul, and it is as eternal as the soul and the Supreme Personality of Godhead. This eternity is called sanātana. When a devotee revives his loving service to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, it should be understood that he has been successful in achieving the desired goal of his life. At that time everything is automatically done by the mercy of the holy name, and the devotee automatically advances in his spiritual progress.

• Volunteer

Hare Krsna Chris Herrick P,

Pamho.

Just Chant and follow 4 regulative principles.. yes, chanting is a magic formula..If you do chanting with the expectation of getting something in return,Holy Name(Naam P) will fulfill your desire but you will not get love of Godhead.

ys

rakesh

• Dear Chris Herrick Prabhu,

PAMHO. All glories to my dear Guru, his divine grace, A C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.

Chanting the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra is definitely magical and is the process suggested by Srila Prabhupada. Since our Guru has adviced this to us, there is no question of doubting the potency of this process. However, like all processes, this has to be done in the adviced manner and with utmost sincerity for the "magic" to be realized.

There are many stages one has to pass through in devotion, from Bhakti to Prema. But Chanting is the begining of cleansing the dirt in our hearts. If you follow the regulative principals and are also taking care of the 10 offenses, chanting 16 rounds, then you are on the right path. This "magic" can be realized only when you put in your 100%.

Lets say, you want to build yourself a nice body, going to the Gym and training with weights is the suggested process. You can not expect to get a chiseled body, just by visiting to the Gym and standing near the window, or just running for 5 minutes, or just doing the dumbels for 2 sets right? Its is a proces. You need to do all that the Gym "guru" the coach has told you, becusae he has already done it and he knows. Similary, ALL regulations are to be met without any discount and then you will see the "magic" happening.

The first step is the feeling of "why am I not getting the Bhakti?"... in this stage, you chant with the mood to request and beg from the Lord to give you Bhakti. Then the next step in chanting is the feeling of "wanting to do service"...so on and so forth, you reach a stage where you "feel the seperation from the lord".... knowing this, it is not adviced for devotees to forcibly start feeling the seperation and try to get tears out of the eyes while chanting... :)

This will happen in stages, as promised by Prabhupada. Krishna will never leave the hands of the devotees who take a step towards him Prabhu... just move one step, the Lord will come with open arms running towards you and you will with the Mercy of Lord and guru, personally feel this in time to come. All the best.

PS: However, asking for something in return like a business plan, is one of the offenses listed (I think its the 8th offense, with reference to Karma Kanda), this is not advisable. But, if you want something materialistically, the Lord advices you to go to that particular demigod holding that department and your needs would be fulfilled. Please refere to Second Canto, 2nd chapter for further details on this.

Hare Krishna
    • Yes well' a simplistic approach I took in my Ashram sava phase  was to become proficient in the connection aspect of/while chanting the irresistible Maha Om, the MaHa mantra. Known as developing

the "Devotional creeper."  this is job one Backti'Lata'Bizha the energetic devotional creeper.

This fundamental nuance of exclusivity of focus of Krishna's feathers (feet to feathers, form and energetic support, reverence, service & offerings all are enhancements of this single supreme pleasure that puts our feet instantaneously back on the path towards understanding our innate need to have a humane center to our consciousness.

"Know one knows just how much nectar* is in the chanting of the holly names of Hare Krishna or Rahma.   

And therein lie's it's magic!  Perfect questions perfect answers. Hare Bola

• Hare Krishna ,
    Yes,Constant Awareness of Shri Krishna is the magic formula.Yes,if we can utilize this human life for turning our attention (i.e. identification)from the material body which is temporary to the permanent body (i.e. Atma or soul,and the source of all souls,Paramatma). But what makes us forget our true eternal self again and again?It is due to our deep sanskars( i.e.impressions on our mind and prarabdha,i.e.result of actions from our previous lives) that we are made to suffer the pain of birth,death,old age and sickness.Our subtle body mind carries all this dirt of ignorance due to which we cannot be aware of our true eternal self.The true eternal self is just lke a ray of light from the Sun (i.e. Paramatma,The Supreme Personality of God ,Shri Krishna).The name Shri Krishna denotes a dominant quality i.e. most compulsive and most attractive Personality of the Supreme Personality of God.
    Without a sincere intention nothing is ever acheived.We should always remember that Shri Krishna has four equal and parallel expansions viz 1.Shri Vasudev (Original Supreme Personality of God,i.e.Supreme Consciousness),2.Sankarshan(Original Supreme Ego),3 Pradyumna(Original Supreme Desire) and Anirudhha (Supreme Intelliegence. All of these four major qualities are inherently present in a very small quantity in our eternal body (i.e. Our Atma,the self).Our ignorance covers the true Self in us and makes us forget our original true and eternal identity, and that in turn makes us miserable.How do we ,then, become constantly aware of Shri Krishna (i.e. the Supreme Consciousness )? We are trained, through out our life to be aware of our body consciousness, ego,desires and intelligence all made of the temporary false material world but the training for becoming awares of our true self(eternal self) is only possible when we sincerely desire and pray to The Supreme Personality of God to give us that Supreme Knowledge .The Supreme Knowledge is obtained only from a bonafide Devotee . Chanting is the first step to become constantly aware of Shri Krishna.His names,qualities,and every thing about Him is eternal and as powerful as He is.If we desire to be aware of Him, it is the true eternal desire hidden behind our ignorance.I feel ,we as devotee, must cultivate this desire to be in loving devotional relation with Shri Krishna.Infact,we must develop the constant awareness of Shri Krishna by sincere chanting of His names, and then to be engaged in all our daily duties with a sincere attitude of loving devotional service towards God. This way, when we devote all our conscious activities to Him, we will gradually develop the habit of identifying with our true consciousness which is seated inside our temporary body.We must always remember that this knowledge of Self will be achieved only from sincere loving service of a bonafide Guru ,a bonafide devotee.Iskcon provides us such a blessed opportunity.
    Good Luck,
    Hare Krishna!

• Volunteer
    Hare Krishna dear Devotees, please accept my humble obeisances! All glories to Srila Prabhupada!
    Please forgive me Ashwani Kumar Prabhu but i have to correct You, when Lord Gouranga entered into the wild forest He asked the animals to chant the Holy Names. They did so. Tigers, deers, elephants started to embrace each other, tears fall from their eyes...
    There was a dog also by the mercy of Lord Chaitanya chanted the Holy Names and gave up his life and went back to Godhead.
    Also few years back, there was a wild, mad elephant in one village in India. People did not know what to do. he killed some people, and he was very dangerous. When Gurudev of Srila Prabhupada HH Bhakti Sidhanta Saraswati Thakur saw this elephant, He slowly came to him and chanted Hare Krishna Maha Mantra into his ears and initiating him with the Naam. Then elephant went to the forest but sometimes used to come to hear Bhagavatams and kirtans.

Also the elephant Gajendra called the Holy Name of Lord Vishnu when he was caught by a crocodile. Lord heard him and protected him.

The Holy Name is extremely powerful, even if a last person in the hell chants It he will be saved.
    For example, Valmiki Muni the author of Ramayana, when he was young he was very sinful. Because of that he even could not pronounce the word: "Rama". so sinful. Then Narada Muni told him to chant: "Mara Mara Mara..."
    In this way: "Rama Rama Rama..." and all his sins were washed away and he is now known as a very great Devotee of Lord Ramachandra.

From our side is recommended only to listen the vibration of the Holy Names and all other things will be done by the Holy Names.
    Then before chanting we can read the prayers of great Acharyas like Narotdam Prabhu, Bhaktivinod Thakur, Rupa Goswami and we will enter to their mood and can improve our chanting.
    Your servant,
This reply was deleted.