Initiation

When is the correct amount of time before one takes initiation, I was introduced to Krishna Consciousness back in 1987 by a close friend and the seed sprouted in June of 2013 and now it has grown. I have set up a home temple with Rhada Krsna Deities and chanting japa daily? I am following my heart and I am extremely attracted to Sri Krishna, what is your advice?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

There is a shiksha program procedure. You have to get certificates for Shraddhavan, then Krsna Sevaka, then Krsna Sadhaka, then Prabhupada Ashray, then Guru Ashray. At the guru ashray stage, you should have decided who is your guru. Each stage has its requirements of number of rounds chanting, whether vegeterian or not, 4 regulative principles and which books of Srila Prabhupada have you read. Which aratis you are doing in your house and whether you know the guruvashtakam, guru puja arati, guru pranam mantras.

Are you part of any congregation? It would help if you are. Please contact your local temple and ask - the temple president has to recommend you for initiation. You need to do ISKCON Disciple Course (available online). Typically there is 1 year gap between Prabhupada Ashray and Guru Ashray. 6 months after taking shelter and doing the guru pranam mantras, and fulfilling all the procedures mentioned above, one qualifies for initiation and is recommended by the local temple president.

Local temple (ISKCON) may have some additional criteria or may have relaxed some criteria mentioned by me. So better to contact them. My idea is not to intimidate you - just telling you facts.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• Hare Krsna,

Thank you for the wonderful in depth response, I am in no rush but know this is the correct path for my life. I am compelled every hour of the day and think of the Lord constantly, I am a little afraid because it just happened so quickly and my life is changing so quickly.

Haribol,

Russ

This reply was deleted.