IMPORTANCE OF DIKSHA

HARE KRISHNA TO ALL PRABUJI & MATAJI !!

I AM TRYING TO SERVE LORD AND AM VERY NEW IN KRISHNA CONCIOUSNESS. LIFE HAS TAKEN A COMPLETE "U TURN" AFTER KNOWING KRISHNA WITH THE HELP OF ASSOCIATION OF DEVOTEES.

COULD ANY ONE HELP ME AS I NEED TO KNOW THE IMPORTANCE OF TAKING INITIATION, IS THEIR ANY ADDED RESPONSIBILITY OR ADDED BENIFIT OF AN INITITAED DEVOTEE.

IF SOMEONE IS PRACTICING KRISHNA CONCIOUSNESS BY NOT BEING INITIATED WHAT IS HE MISSIING OR HOW INITIATION FURTHER HELPS ?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS ON INITIATION‏.

http://www.iskcondesiretree.net/group/krishnaconsciousness/forum/to...

THE SACRED THREAD. WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF RECEIVING THE SACRED THREAD ?‏

Q. WHO IS A SIKSA GURU ?‏

Q. WHO IS A DIKSA GURU ?‏

• "The body of a devotee is never material. It is transcendental, full of spiritual bliss. At the time of initiation, when a devotee surrenders [to the spiritual master], Krishna makes him the same as himself (ātma-sama). He transforms the devotee's body into spiritual substance; the devotee then worships the Lord in that spiritualized body." (CC 3.4.191-3)...My humble experience prabhu is that krishna is in control,he accepts us at the time of initiation through his merciful servant  the spiritual master.Yes we owe him a substantial debt which can never be fully appreciated.However in reality were are part of a system of spiritual advancement which is not solely reliant upon just him alone.We are technically followers of a siksa -bhagavata sampradaya .This disciplic succession is not a diksa process,but rather an acceptance of us personally into the greater family of devotees.In other words when we become mature we will appreciate that we have many siksha gurus around us also....These instructing spiritual masters daily enrich our lives and train us in everyday devotional service.The potency of the hare krishna mantra is given to us and nourished by following the instructions of our gurus.We hence forth become empowered not by our own small appreciations, but we are taken into the spiritual association of senior devotees,whose hearts and minds are the sitting places of lord krishna himself!Our submissive attitude and selfless service to these non-envious great souls pleases krishna and he looks for chances to inter act with us through his devotees.Hence it is a process which is sanctioned by Srila Prabhupada and the previous mahajanas to fully benedict us .It is a glorious initial ''kick start'' to a progressive new adventure in serving krishna through his sincere devotees...good luck sadhu...
  • Volunteer

To be initiated by any guru is not sufficient for going back to Godhead. The guru who can deliver you back to home, back to the spiritual world must himself be engaged 24 hours daily in Krishna's service and engage you also in doing that. Initiation means beginning. It does not mean that you are now delivered. It can be compared to registering as a student in a university. Registration does not mean that you are now graduated. It simply means that you are now formally beginning your studies. Would you want to enroll in a university that registers you but does not teach you anything? Being associated with such a university would be a useless waste of time. Similarly the association of any guru who does not teach you practically how to be engaged 24 hours daily in Krishna's service is a useless waste of time. Such a so-called guru should be scrupulously avoided. Find that guru who can engage you 24 hours daily in Krishna's service and take complete shelter of him as your eternal spiritual master. 

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

• Hare Krishna!!!
    Jai Gurudev!!! Jai Prabhupada!!!

When we chant daily, attend temple program and by regularly associate with devotees, by looking our eagerness Krishna will shower the mercy on us and he will direct to some sadhu who will be our spiritual master. Than we will be attracted by that spiritual master how he is guiding his disciples... How he is preaching and practicing K.C. How his faith on his guru and Krishna…than our faith on that spiritual master will increase and we will express to him 1st stage aspiring to be a disciple of that spiritual master than, guru ashraya stage than initiation…During initiation he will check weather we are serious in devotional life, weather we are fit to take initiation. unless they will advice us to improve where we are lacking, once we fit than they will accept us the disciple…once we accepted the guru in our heart even before initiation than the guru and Krishna will shower there mercy and we progress rapidly… Yes Srilaprabhupada explains all our previous sins will be cleared at the time of initiation.

Hare krishna
    Your Servant
    Rasika Govinda Das.
    • HARE KRISHNA !!

JAI GURUDEV !!

JAI PRABHUPAD !!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR EFFORT TO GIVE PROPER EXPLANATIONS & RIGHT INPUTS. PLEASE BLESS ME AND PRAY FOR ME SO THAT I ALSO GET ADVANCED IN KRISHNA CONCIOUSNESS.

INITIATION IS VERY IMPORTANT IN ONE DEVOTEES LIFE YOU MADE ME UNDERSTAND THIS.

HOPEFULLY BY KRISHNA'S MERCY AND BY ALL YOUR BLESSING I WILL BE GUIDED TO THE RIGHT SPIRITUAL MASTER.

HARE KRISHNA !!

HARI BOL !!

YOUR SERVANT,

ASHISH SHARMA

• Volunteer

You have not said if you have taken shelter. That will be the first step. (by the way, you are not required to take diksha from the one you take shelter)

Secondly, Study Shikshastaka Instuctions of Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Everyday.

Make sure your guru is following at least the 1st instruction of Mahaprabhu (Sankirtana)

Bhakti Vinod Thakore has written on how to chose a guru. (may be someone can post here) Otherwise you will be doomed along with your guru, who may be looking for some cheap followers.

When you are initiated you will have to promise your guru, that you will do 16 rounds everyday (attentively).

A  Guru in Brahma Sampradaya, that we are a part of will also give you instruction to perform Sankirtana. If you are alergic or to Sankirtana or lazy to perform Sankirtana, and prefer other methods of devotion instead for what ever reason, you must take a Sree Vaishnava guru who will NOT instruct you to do Sankirtana. I am saying this because disobeying your guru will be a serious impediment in your spiritual progress.

Worse you accept a guru in our Brahma Caitanya Sampradaya and he does NOT instruct you to perform Sankirtana. Such guru must be avoided because he has broken the Sampradaya because of not passing on the instructions of our Acharyas from Prabhupada all the way to Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who is Krishna Himself (and giving his own instructions instead, or ignoring the instructions of his guru.)

One must accept a living spiritual master, who is self effulgent for diksha. (Prabhupada is our shiksha guru) This is followed in the guru parampara system. Even Lord Krishna and Caitanya Mahaprabhu accepted a guru, a living spiritual master.

At the time of initiation/diksha, your guru will take upon himself a vestige(small portion) of your bad karma.

There is also one draw back when one is initiated. Maya gets to work on them immediately. A sadaka starts to think that he is a devotee (advanced) and have arrived, when infact, diksha or initiation means to initiate or beginning.

Watch out for people who say take my guru because he is Indian or what ever. Many gurus look for cheap devotees and hope you are not one. Do not accept a guru if he is willing and his guru is still alive. That is not proper Vaishnava etiquette.

Lastly, A spiritual master can be a sanyasi or a householder. Sanyasi is not a requirement.

Please forgive me if I have offended anyone. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

All glories to Srila Prabhupada

• Hare Krishna !!!

Jai Gurudev !!! Jai Prabhupada !!!

Could any one help me as I need to know the important of taking initiation? Is their any added Responsibility or Added Benefit of an Initiated Devotee? If someone is practicing Krishna consciousness by not being initiated what is the missing? Pr how initiation further helps?

Taking initiations from bonafied spiritual master is very important for the devotees to reach Krishna because, Krishna himself accepted the spiritual master even though he is supreme personality of godhead still he accepted the sandipani muni as his spiritual master to show the world that accepting the spiritual master is very important. Lord rama accepted Vasistamuni as his guru, Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Brahma, narada, vyasadev, pralahada, durva maharaja, sukudev goswami, Bismadev and arjuna all great personalities are accepted the guru and perfected there life. Without guru its impossible to reach Krishna because we are not seen any truth...we don’t know the language of Krishna, so Krishna send the guru to us and guru send us back to Krishna. Krishna is far away from mundane sense perception…actually we are blind because we are material with illusions and bound by three modes of material natures, Krishna is complete spiritual it required some medium, like between English man and Chinese man it must required translator who can understand both language, the same way guru is medium in between Krishna and disciples. Initiation means starting the devotional life... The disciple will be linked with sri Krishna when he accept the spiritual master through the parampara system. krishna says in BG 4.34

"tad viddhi praṇipātena           paripraśnena sevayā

upadekṣyanti te jñānaḿ           jñāninas tattva-darśinaḥ

Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The self-realized souls can impart knowledge unto you because they have seen the truth.

Srila prabhupada explains in purport, the path of spiritual realization is undoubtedly difficult. The lord therefore advises us to approach a bonafied spiritual master in the line of disciplic succession from lord himself. No one can become spiritual master without following this principle of disciplic succession. The lord is the original spiritual master, a person in the disciplic succession can convey the message of lord as it is to his disciples. Srimad bhagavatam 6.3.19 says Dharman tu sasksad bhagavat – pranitam. The path of religion is directly enunciated by the lord, therefore, mental speculation or dry argument can not help lead on to the right path. Nor by independent study of book knowledge can one progress in spiritual life. One has to approach the spiritual master to receive the knowledge. 

om ajnana-timirandhasya    jnananjana-salakaya
    caksur unmilitam yena        tasmai sri-gurave namah (BG Intro)

I was born in the darkest of ingnorance, and my spiritual master opned my eyes with torch of knowledge. I offer my respectful obeisances unto him.

Spiritual master is the one who open the eyes of his disciples by the spiritual knowledge, save the living entity from the birth, death, old age and dieses.

We are not qualified to serve the lord directly therefore we must serve Krishna through his pure devotees (Guru).

Without worshiping guru its impossible to attain Krishna and it is stated in Srimad Bhagavatam Krishna is more pleased if we worship him through his pure devotee and srila prabhupada explain why we say always Radha Krishna, Radha name is first because Radharani is pure devotee of lord if we glorify Srimathi Radharani his pure devotee first Krishna is more pleased.

Srila prabhupada Says: If one is not actually connected with a bona fide disciplic succession, whatever mantras he chants will not bring the desired result. Any person who is seriously desirous of achieving real happiness (Krishna Consciousness) must seek out a bona fide spiritual master and take shelter of him by initiation.

Responsibility is chanting 16 rounds and following 4 regulative principles and helping spiritual master to preach Krishna consciousness movement.

Benefit of accepting spiritual master is going back to Krishna’s abode. If we just follow the instruction of spiritual master than it’s sure to reach Krishna’s abode without fail…Once the bonad fied spiritual master is accepted the disciples than guru’s responsibility to send the soul back to Krishna’s abode. Some time guru takes the birth in earthly planet again to deliver his disciple or empower some other sadhu to deliver the soul birth after birth.

Benefit Krishna says in BG 4.35

Yaj jnatva na punar moham           evam yasyasi pandava

Yena bhutany asesani         draksyasy atmany atho mayi

Having Obtained real knowledge from a self-realized soul, you will never fall again into such illusion, for by this knowledge you will see that all living beings are but part of the supreme, or in other words, that they are mine.

As soon as one take initiation than spiritual master will bless them continuousness and pray to Krishna for their progress in devotional life. We will understand the scripture in better way, Our faith on Krishna will increase, we progress very quickly in K.C because pure devotees blessing are very important. Our life is assured once we accept and follow as per his instructions…So it’s important and its absolute necessary unless Krishna will not accept or say in BG.

Hare Krishna thank u very much for ur valuable question, I am not qualified to answer your question but, some how by the mercy of my spiritual master I tried my level best to answer with my limited knowledge hope fully its in line with your question and meet ur requisite.

Hare Krishna. Jai Prabhupada.

Your Servant in the service of Sri Sri Radha and Krishna.

Rasika Govinda Das.

• HARE KRISHNA !!
      JAI GURUDEV !!
      JAI PRABHUPAD !!

I GOT MY ANSWER & UNDERSTOOD THE IMPORTANCE, BENIFIT & RESPONSIBILITIES OF AN INITATED DEVOTEE. I HAVE READ THESE VERSES OF "BG" EARLIER ALSO, BUT PRABHU TODAY YOU HAVE MADE ME REALISE IT.

PRABHU WE ARE FALLEN SOULS, INITIALLY ITS BEACUSE OF CHANTING AND ASSOCIATION OF DEVOTEES LIKE YOURSELF ONLY WE ACTUALLY GET ENLIGHTENED TOWARDS THE PATH OF KRISHNA CONCIOUSNESS.

WITH BELIEF THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO HELP ME FURTHER I HAVE ONE MORE QUERY FOR YOU.

WHEN IS THE RIGHT TIME TO TAKE THE INITIATION...?

- DEVOTEES SHOULD FIRST START FOLLOWING 4 REGULATIVE PRINCIPAL & CHANT 16 ROUNDS REGULARY
      OR
      - BY THE MERCY OF SPIRITUAL MASTER WE WILL BE ABLE TO DO ABOVE AFTER INITIATION
      OR
      - TILL DEVOTEES DONT FOLLOW 4 REGULATIVE PRINCIPAL & CHANT 16 ROUNDS SPIRITUAL MASTER WILL NOT SHOWER HIS MERCY AND WILL NOT INITIATE US.

THANKS A TON FOR ALL SUCH VALUABLE KNOWLEDGE..

HARIBOL

YS. ASHISH SHARMA
      • Hare Krishna !!!

Jai Gurudev !!! Jai Prabhupada !!!

Thanks for ur kindness... Before taking initiation from spiritual master there are few pre stage like before going college we must complete the school the same way before taking initiation fist stage is aspirant (Few round of chanting and reasonable dedication in the bhakti) after some period we will move further to next stage that is taking Guruashraya from guru than after some period we will take initiation. Fist we have to chant 16 and follow 4 Regulative principles than only we can take initiation. This chanting and regulative principle up to initiation is like exams or training periods or practicing sections… this practicing section is like we are assuring to guru that we can follow…why this required before taking initiation because, according to srimad bhagavatam this 4 activities are considered to be most sinful activities so after taking initiation if the disciple commit any sinful act than all the result of bad karma will go into the bonafied spiritual master due to mistake of disciples.. than spiritual master position become very difficult to liberate the living entity from birth and death so, to avoid all those things until we follow 4 regulative principle and chanting 16 rounds for some period the bonadfied spiritual master will not accept the disciples…but I am sure if u associate with devotees regularly and try to chant and do some service in the temple it will come automatically.. grt8 grt8 grt8 sinner in the world become devotee by the mercy of srilaprabhu and gauranga mahaprabhu why not u? once u taste very little in K.C than all low level enjoyment / taste will go away without knowing ourselves…Hare Krishna.

Your servant

Rasika Govinda Das

• HARE KRISHNA !!
          JAI PRABHUPADA !!
          JAI GURUDEV!!

ONCE AGAIN THANKS PRABHU FOR BEING PATIENCE AND SO HUMBLE TO ENLIGHT US WHO REALLY NEED KNOWLEDGE TO PROGRESS IN KRISHNA CONCIOUSNESS.

PRABHUJI, YOU HAVE ANSWERED MOST OF MY QUERIES & DOUBTS ON INITIATION. PLEASE ALSO CLARIFY, ONE WHO START CHANTING 16 ROUNDS & START FOLLOWING 4 REGULATIVE PRINCIPAL AND THEN GURU MAHARAJ SHOWER HIS MERCY UPON HIM AND ACCEPT HIM AS HIS DISCIPLE....BUT THE SINFUL ACTIVITIES WHICH THE SOUL HAS PERFORMED PRIOR WHAT HAPPENS TO THOSE, ARE THEY ALL NULLIFIED BY THE MERCY OF SPIRITUAL MASTER & KRISHNA ?

THANKING YOU ONCE AGAIN FOR ALL THESE BEAUTIFUL & TRUE KNOWLEGDE.

HARI BOL !!!!!

YOUR SERVANT,

ASHISH SHARMA
This reply was deleted.