Idols at home

Hare Krsna!!!Prabhu, i have some queries about Idols kept at home for praying.1) I was brought to attention by one of the priest in South India temple, that Krishna's idol can be kept without flute2) Idols of any god can be kept at however they should be not more than 11 Inches tallMay i know the reason why this has been said? Can somebody help and answer this question for me.Your servant,Suresh

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PAMHO
    All GLories to Srila Prabhupad !!

Hare Krsna !!

Prabhu answer to your Questions

1) I was brought to attention by one of the priest in South India temple, that Krishna's idol can be kept without flute?
    Ans:Prabhu when we invite lord in his formas Krsna in a Vigraha ,there are certain rules mentioned in our shastras that the deity should be made out of silver,gold,brass,bronze,mud,Wood etc ,like wise the height ,the structure and the weapons adorned by them is also mentioned and one has to follow these rules while making a Vigraha or installing or Worshipping them ,because the vigraha that you will be making or Installing or worshipping will be representing the Supreme personality of godhead and it will remind us about the Supreme lord ,hence it is preferred that if one has to worship Krsna with Venu And Peacock feathers(Barhavatamsa)
    Which is also mentioned in Brahma Samhita Venum Kvanantham ( I worship Govinda, the Primeval Lord, Who is adept in playing on His flute, with blooming eyes like lotus petals, with head bedecked with peacock's feather, with the figure of beauty tinged with the hue of blue clouds).
    So its good if we worship with His Asthra and Shastra .
    U can also Refer to TantraSara by Madhvacharya.

2)Idols of any god can be kept at however they should be not more than 11 Inches tall

Prabhu are you mentioning about other Demi gods like ganapathi and others or is it any form Lord.
    Generally it is said that if one has a deity or any form of Lord which is More that 11 inch or Half feet one should give him proper Upacharas and Treat him as a guest and worship him with utmost care ,usually people who were not able to perform worship elaborately and prepare Bhoga for Lord due to certain Cirumstances have come to the conclusion however there is no shastric injuction regarding the same
    "According to shastras the deities might be bigger or smaller they should be treated as Equal."
    Usually in south we find this concept however i tried collecting the answers from few Pandits from Vaishnava Sampradyas and they informed the above mentioned statements.
    however we will go as Per HDg's Instruction and follow the same ,because Krishna personally appears in His archa vigraha form with all His features and energies may it be small or big.

Prabhu Hope this was Informative
    Will try and get more information on the same
    Thank you and Please Learned Devotees can help us Know more about the same.

Hare krsna
    Your Servant
    • Hare Krsna !!!

Prabhu,

Thanks for your answer.

Your Servant,

Suresh
      • Hare Krsna

You are welcome

My pleasure to Serve you

Take care Haribol
        Your Servant