Ideal for me ISKCON centre?

I'm thinking of running away to forest / ashram, be a sadhu.

Is / Are there any ISKCON ashram(s) / temple(s) with availability of food, situated in / near a big forest, having clean stream of water / river flowing through the forest, also temperature staying almost constant throughout the year (like situated near the equator) ?

I'm in India, thinking of maybe going to Kerala but don't know whether all my conditions are matching there.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare krishna Prabhu , First Chant Hare Krishna Maha Mantra and also Read Bhagavat Gita thru a Guru .  ys Ravi

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

One doesnt need to run to a forest (with 5 star facilities) to become a sadhu. Sadhu is mental state - one can be at home, with family members and still be a sadhu. Actually, its more difficult to be a sadhu there - because there is no way to hide - one has to be away from anger, expectation and frustration, that too with family members.

First I would like to know your definition of sadhu. 

So you would like to go to a forest to become a sadhu, but you have no confidence that Krsna will take care of your food there, so you need an ISKCON center nearby?!

Typically ISKCON centres are in the city  -  the purpose of having a centre is to help create a congregation around it, to help the congregation in spiritual development and upliftment. How would having a temple in the middle of the forest, with a clear stream running nearby help?

Normally, devotees go to an ISKCON temple for darshan, for kirtans, discourses and for rendering service. To have a temple for availability of prasadam is not one of the reasons listed by sadhus. 

Just for the sake of argument, suppose there is such a temple. How would you get the money for the prasadam the temple would provide? You would have become a sadhu in a forest right?

Everything is completely awry. Please examine your reasons for becoming a "sadhu" honestly, to yourself.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Thank you for the reply.

• Hare Krishna Ma'm,

My obeisances to you.

How can i have confidence that Krishna will take care of my food when i know that some people have died due to starvation?

I once ate in an ISKCON centre and it was free.

I want to do spirituality / relegion to try to know what's going on, try to know about God, for sake of everyone. I want to gain knowledge like Siddharth Gautam (Buddha) tried to gain knowledge for sake of world.

I think if i'll work for world then i can take free food from world.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Thank you for being honest in your reply.

Like I was saying, your reasons are all warped up, wrong. 

One gives up home and hearth for love of God. Any other reason and one cannot sustain. Like they say, for a real sanyasi, even staying in the house, he can be detached, whereas for a unreal sanyasi, he can create a family staying in the wilderness. Our philosophy says - grhe thako, vane thako, sudhu hai bole daako - whether you stay in the house or in the forest, simply say Hari's name. 

Staying at home or in the forest is all externals - what is important is the internals - whats going on in the mind - what is the consciousness that is cultivated. Concentrate on that.

People die of starvation, agreed. Those people have not left home depending on KRsna. They are dying of starvation due to their own past karma - why blame Krsna for it. 

You mention you once ate in ISKCON Temple and it was free. That means you are not even a regular visitor to ISKCON Temple.... regular eaters have to pay, and/or do service. 

First find out God for your own sake, then distribute that knowledge for the sake of everyone. We human beings are so selfish that we will not even pray to God if there is nothing in it for us. 

Incidentally, Gautam Buddha did not go looking for an ISKCON centre when He left home to attain enlightenment. As you may be knowing Buddha is one of the dasavatars. Even Buddha set out to know the Truth, then only He distributed it to the world. He didnt set out to know the truth for the world, but for Himself. 

Taking free food from the world - is it not escapism? do I need to say more????

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

This reply was deleted.