How to Chant? (Out Loud/To One's Self/In the Mind?)

Please Accept My Humble Obeisances & Dandavat Pranams.All Glories to Srila Prabhupada, Sri Guru & Gauranga.All Glories to the Vaisnavas world-wide.Hare Krishna.I was practicing my japa mediation and I was trying to increase my attention on the meaning of the Maha Mantra. Something I noticed was that, I would start off by saying out loud "Sri Krishna Caitanya, Prabhu Nityananda, Sri Advaita, Gadadhara, Srivasadi Gaura Bhakta Vrnda" three times aloud.Then chant "Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare." About 4 times out loud.Then I gradually chant this mantra softer and softer until I am repeating it with no sound, just lips and tounge moving.Sometimes I just chant the mantra in my mind, and I tend to do that even when I take a step.Each time I put a foot forward I tend to think "Hare Krishna."My question is, which is the best way to chant the maha mantra? I know it must be attentive in whichever way, but which way is most beneficial to spiritual progress?Please forgive me if I have made an offense in asking this question.I pray this meets everyone in good health.Your Aspiring Servant,Bhakta David

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

Best way to chant the Maha Mantra is as LOUD as possible! Srila Haridas Takore's instruction, from Harinama Cintamani

"Many elevated pure devotees at times chant aloud the holy

names on their beads, and then at other times meditate upon

Krsna's pastimes on the beads. The advantage of performing

kirtan, or audibly chanting the maha-mantra on the beads, is that

three kinds of devotional service hearing, chanting and

remembering are accomplished simultaneously. Of course, all

the nine limbs of devotional service reside in the holy name; of

them, hearing, chanting and remembering are the best."

Always chant so other living entities can here you (not just humans, but trees, grass, birds, etc)

This is not to show off, but help other living entities, it is called Ahaituki kripa.

We must not be selfish. Just like we got kripa from another devotee, that we are illuminated by chanting of the Holy Names, so also, we must chant loudly, for the benefit of others.

This is very pleasing to Nityananda Prabhu.

Unless you please Nityananda Prabhu, Caitanya Mahaprbhu cannot be pleased.

• Hari Bol!

Sometimes when I chant the Hare Rama part of the Maha Mantra, I think of Sripad Nityananda Prabhu in His form of Sri Balaram.

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna David Pr,

PAMHO. AGTSP. AGTSG&SG.

I attended the Japa Workshop last week end given by HG Mahatma Pr here in Bangalore. He told 3 types of chanting

1) Maanasi - Chanting in our mind : This is very advanced stage of chanting where in we chant in our mind and not move our lips at all. This is for very senior devotees like Sanyasies. We can do this when we are sick or something and really do not have energy to chant.

2) The second type of chanting is soft chanting. This is highly recommended for all of us. In this, we move the lips slightly and chant very softly that we can hear clearly.

3) The third type of chanting is chanting out loud. When we are chanting in temple or with devotees and not able to hear our own japa, we do this type of chanting. Also when we feel sleepy we try to chant out little louder than normal.

In what ever way you want to chant, it has to be in a prayerful mood.

• Volunteer

Hare Krishna dear Devotees, please accept my humble obeisances! All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

David Prabhu, it is very nice to hear what we pronounce. Ears are very strong senses. Trough ears we can reach the false ego and destroy that with the Spiritual sound of the Holy Names. There is no other way!

After 16 rounds we have to try to chant on mind.  

Here are very special lectures of His Holiness Sachinandana Swami Maharja who is expert in chanting. Please, find time to listen them You will be inspired :-) http://audio.iskcondesiretree.info/index.php?q=f&f=%2F02_-_ISKC...

Your servant, 

• Hari Bol!

HH Sacinandana Goswami Maharaj is very nice to listen to. I have been listening to Him ever since you posted this on the 7th.

I love his accent :) 

Hare Krishna

• HK PAMHO

Yes you are right chanting should be attentive. 

Prabhupada and other great acharyas have recommeded that when we chant we should be able to hear it with our ears.

When we chant with our tongue and hear with our ears, we become more purified and become more spiritually advance.

Because in this age of Kali chanting and hearing is very important.

In your service,

-Nitai

• HK PAMHO

The following site is all about chanting and how Prabhupada recommeneds it:

Prabhupada on Chanting

^^ Just click on the above link and it will redirect you to the site.

http://www.vedaveda.com/prabhupadaroom/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=166%3Ahow-to-pr…
This reply was deleted.