how to celebrate birthdays & anniversaries

hare krishna ear devotees,
i am a neophyte, although i chant 16 rounds everyday but i feel that i am very attached to materialistic enjoyments.......besides i want to celebrate occassions like birthdays & anniversaries by feasting,listening to songs ,going to movies & playing with family members & so on........is following KC means that we have to give up our materialistic enjoyments? actually i hv no devotee association here except my husband & if i renounce all these i am afraid that i will be aloof from all my friends & relatives & morever they would mock at me for such a behaviour & would motivate me to enjoy like them.......and also i hv tried listening to bhajan but after sometime i feel bored.....i like listening to filmy songs & feel relax to it......i dont know how to gv up watching movies & listening songs & all such materialistic enjoyments..........plz devotees help me in this situation......i want ur all mercy & blessings..........

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• E-Counselor

Hare KRsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

YOu should try to avoid films and filmi music. Maybe you should start with listening to filimi bhajans, that way both purposes are solved. Old bhajans of Jogan, Meera, Do aankhen baraah haath, hum dono, ankur. Latest movie with good bhajan was lagaan. Make a cassette of these songs and hear them.

Once you start hearing vaishnav bhajans and start understanding some of the meanings, all other bhajans will appear small in front of them. Esp the sharanagati bhajans of Srila Bhakti Vinode Thakura and Narottam Das Thakurs all bhajans. THey are so soulful and meaningful. Try to develop a taste. Maybe you can begin with Mayapur aratis. Its very effective to hear them in Srila Prabhupada's voice.

Automatically movies will go out of the window. You will actually develop a distaste for them. Associate more mataji, that is what you lack, I think.

Best of luck,

Haribol,

Rashmi

• tnx mataji but i am feeling very hesitate to tell u but actually i like listening to different varities   of music & it seems to me that filmy romantic songs are very soothing to my ear...but bhajans after hearing 4 sometime i want to change it.....sry 4 this but what to do abt this...i know that this is not favouable for KC but it has bcum my habit & i am not able to break it........

• E-Counselor

Its ok to be honest mataji. Since you know the problem, only you can find the solution. One way is there for you to test and see for yourself how powerful the transcendental sound vibration is - take any one filmi song that you like a lot, record it somewhere and hear it nonstop, replaying it, till you get fed up of it. See the amount of time elapsed in which you could hear the song. Then take the mahamantra, do you have the one sung by Prabhupada, and play it for the same duration.

What you will discover is - the more you hear your favourite song, the less it appeals to you and the more you  hear the mahamantra, the more it appeals to you. Try it mataji, maybe this will work.

Since you are married, I cant even say that when you are hearing the romantic song, think taht Krsna is your romantic partner, and the feelings in that song are your feelings for Krsna. I know that will not be possible. So try this other thing and see.

Haribol,

Best of luck,

Your servant.

• Hare Krsna!

I too faced the same situation.

Please try to attend kirtans and other various processions in Temple and devotee association is a very necessary thing to go ahead in the way of KC.

Make prasadam and offer to Kanha and then distribute among yourselves.

I would suggest you if possible attend mangal aarti in the morning in your nearest temple it will help you with KC.

Regarding songs..

You can download bhajan and mahamantra available on internet in different genre like in western mix and classical and other sort.

Do bhakti as you like.  Slowly slowly you will get to see that you will give up listening to filmy songs.

You will love bhajans and kirtan and won't get bored...

Hare Krsna'

Hari Bol'

This reply was deleted.