How many types the false ego have?

Hare Krishna to all the devotees, I got to know that there are two types of egos, one is true ego and other is false ego, but somewhere I read that false ego also have types, like ego of knowledge, ego of power, ego of wealth, even the ego of spiritual advancement also. I wanted to know the number of its types and what are they, according to our scriptures?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• sorry friend real ego does exist. I got it from Srila Prabhupadas comment.  Thanks madam

[False ego means accepting this body as oneself. When one understands  that he is not his body and is spirit soul, he comes to his real ego. Ego is there.  False  ego  is  condemned,  but not real ego. In the Vedic literature                  (Brhad-aranyaka  Upanisad   1.4.10)   it   is  said, aham  brahmasmi:  I  am Brahman,  I  am  spirit.  This  "I  am,"  the  sense  of  self,  also  exists  in  the liberated stage of self-realization. This sense of "I am" is ego, but when the sense of "I am" is applied to this false body it is false ego. When the sense of self is applied to reality, that is real ego.]
    Bg 13.8-12, Purport by Srila Prabhupada

• Thanks prabhuji for quoting the purport of His Divine Grace A.C.Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. PAMHO. Hare Krishna

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

As you may know, our body is made of 8 elements - earth, water, fire, air, ether, mind, intelligence and ego. Therefore, ego is one of the components of the body and it cannot be wished away (like an emotion, eg.  anger).

Now what is the difference between true ego and false ego - true ego is I am soul, part and parcel of supersoul. My job is to serve the Supreme Personality of Godhead. False ego is anything which is not true ego. In other words, identification with the body is false ego. The number of types of false ego is as many as the number of corruptions of the elements in the material world. Like how all colours are made of 3 basic colours, all music is made of 7 notes, that way all ego is made of false ego. It is so all pervading that we do not realise even that we have false ego. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Thanks mataji for your detailed explanation PAMHO. Hare krishna

• there is nothing such as true ego. ego i.e. ahankaar itself is a negative quality of human which needs to be got rid off. people have ego of knowledge, ego of power, ego of wealth, even the ego of spiritual advancement as you have mentioned. false ego means wrongly identifying material body with self and considering "I" as doer when actually we are spirit soul.

•  

When someone is proud of something like knowledge, power, wealth or anything else from this material world, then such proudness comes from false body identification which is  called ''false ego''.

False ego or false I or false self is a part of the material nature and because of that its divided in 3,

in mood of ignorance, passion and goodness.

• SB 11.24.6From these modes arose the primeval sūtra, along with the mahat-tattva. By the transformation of the mahat-tattva was generated the false ego, the cause of the living entities’ bewilderment.

SB 11.24.7False ego, which is the cause of physical sensation, the senses and the mind, encompasses both spirit and matter and manifests in three varieties: in the modes of goodness, passion and ignorance.
      SB 11.24.8From false ego in the mode of ignorance came the subtle physical perceptions, from which the gross elements were generated. From false ego in the mode of passion came the senses, and from false ego in the mode of goodness arose the eleven demigods.
      • Thanks Prabhuji for your detailed explanation PAMHO. Hare Krishna

This reply was deleted.