How do we know?

I mean no disrespect, but I am wondering, how do we know that the scriptures are true?  How do we know that the Bhagvad Gita and all the other books are not just legends or metaphors but literal truth?  Are there any arecheological findings that provide physical evidence of these texts?  How do we know that these are true and that other books like the Bible or the Quran are false?

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hare Krsna

"According to the Vedanta-sutras( sastra-yonitvat), the Supreme Lord is the author of all revealed scriptures, and all revealed scriptures are for knowing the Supreme Lord. Veda means knowledge that leads to the Lord. The Vedas are made just to revive the forgotten consciousness of the conditioned souls, and any literature not meant for reviving God consciousness is rejected at once by the narayana-para devotees. Such deluding books of knowledge, not having Narayana as their aim, are not at all knowledge, but are the playgrounds for crows who are interested in the rejected refuse of the world. Any book of knowledge (science or art) must lead to the knowledge of Narayana; otherwise it must be rejected. That is the way of advancement of knowledge. "
    The Srimad Bhagavatam 2.5.15 Purport

Hari Bol

• Hare Krsna

"There is no room for common sense in the injunctions of the sastras.
    Common sense is always imperfect, whereas the description in the sastras is always perfect and complete. If there is any incongruity, it is due to our imperfection and not the sastras.
    That is the method of approaching Vedic wisdom."
    SB 2.1.30 Purport

Hari Bol

• The authenticity and truth of religious scriptures, including the Bhagavad Gita, are matters of faith and belief for their respective followers. These texts are considered sacred by many, and their truth is often accepted based on religious conviction rather than empirical evidence.

Archaeological findings can shed light on the historical context of certain events mentioned in religious texts, but they may not necessarily provide concrete proof of the texts' entire contents being literal truth. It's important to note that beliefs in religious texts are deeply personal and vary among individuals and communities.

Different religions and belief systems have their own sacred texts, and the question of which texts are considered true or false often depends on one's faith and religious upbringing. Interpreting and understanding these texts is a complex and multifaceted process that involves both faith and scholarship.

If you're looking for someone who can write my essay at an affordable price, you can consider hiring a reputable essay writing service or a freelance writer.

Ultimately, the truth of religious texts is a matter of personal belief and faith, and it can vary greatly from person to person. It's important to approach discussions on religious matters with respect for different viewpoints and beliefs.

Write My Essay: Custom, Quality Work by Academic Experts
    Say 'write my essay' and our team of expert writers will craft a masterpiece tailored to your needs. Elevate your academic performance with our assis…
  • First, who says the other books are false?  Srila Prabhupada often said that Jesus was also a guru, and anyone worshipping god will go to god.  He also said that bhakti yoga is best process for this yuga. But that does not make the other books false. (I am a seminary graduate, and have zero faith in the horribly mistranslated, manipulated, and plagerized bible... but that is just me).

As for 'how do we know?'. Reading authoritative scriptures, hearing from one's guru, doing service, and chanting our rounds will help us feel closer to Krishna. When our spirituality improves through sadhana, we know we are on the right path. You will feel a happiness/bliss/love like you never experienced before.  But "proving" the scriptures to be true, by any empirical means, is not really possilbe.  It comes down to faith eventually. 

• I am reading Bhagvatam this is composed by Vyasa-deva, In the beginging on time there was No scripture or any book to read. There was nothing (based on science and religion). If you want to believe in the big bang that is also fine, Usually people who are regigious belive that a supreme 'being' created the universe. With our tiny intelligence and mind we cannot understand that a 'person' or being created the universe. So then comes the VEDAS, This is the first book created and later written by Veda Vyasa. In back bygone days people seemed more intelligent they didnt need anything to be written down (there is scientisifc fact for this, maybe just NO TV lol). All other religions are just 'offshoots' on the original Vedas ie Islam, Christinaity etc. You asked how do we know if they are true? It is based on the disicplic sucession of spiritual masters (who are in themselves the 'book vedas'. It is not simply 'books' going around telling you there is a god or a soul. The evidence is the person. Otherwise how did they know about it in the first place? If you are reffering to the original Vedas we have it in the form of Bhagavad-gita and Bhagavatam. It is there for all to read freely. Passed down through generations (millions and billons of years) By word of mouth and by scripture. 

The main reason for us being in this world is basically ('man+women), we being trained into being devotees of god. We are in fact 78 percent 'God' and can have Gods power like Brahma. Shiva is 84 percent, VIshnu is 92 percent and Krishna is 100percent God. So just see Krishna has given us 78 Percent divinity (He gave birth to us as 'souls'.). This is according to Vaishnavas and Prabhupada. Hare Krishna. Hope that helps. (all my info comes from Bhagavtam)! No speculation!

• Thank you for your thoughtful reply :)  I am sorry, but I'm confused.  You mean to say that the books are true because there were spiritual masters who copied them down?  How do we know what they were saying is true and not just a legend passed down for generations?

• Thats for You to see and understand. There is nothing i can say further. Sorry)

• This reply was deleted.
    • Jai jai jai. so true!!! 

Eternal truth. Sanatana Dharma. Rest all is false only turth is Supreme Lord and all scriptures golorifying Lord are equally sacred and True!

• This reply was deleted.
    • Thank you for your answer.  :)  So, you mean to say that by having faith and trusting Krishna, I'll see the truth eventually?

• Very well said  Anusha mata ji!!!!

This reply was deleted.