Hearing shudh naam

Dandavat pranams to all the Vaishnavas. It is told that we should hear shudh naam chanted by pure devotees. So my question is:Is it still shudh naam if we hear the recording of the chanting of a pure devotee? Because after all,my device can merely reproduce the sound wave,it can't reproduce the bhaav and Prema of the devotee while chanting the name, which I feel is accessible only when we hear them chant offline. Please enlighten me on this subject.

Please pray for me and bless me.

My humble obeisances.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Hare Krishna prabhuji,

I'm sorry I didn't reply for such a long time, your reply was very instructive and I have now understood. Thank you so much, please pray for me, dandavat pranam.

• E-Counselor

Hare KRsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Hearing recordings of pure devotees only, so many of our generation and future generations are getting inspired to commit to Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's mission. Whether we are hearing recording or in person, it doesnt matter. What matters is how we are accepting it. 

All this technical aspect about hearing only the recording and not the bhaav I dont understand, its too intellectual for me. My small brain tells me that when I watch a movie, I laugh and cry alongiwth the characters in the story, knowing fully well it is just that, a story. So if a movie can invoke some emotions in me, then why not lectures, videos and chanting recordings of great devotees?

Haribol,

YOur servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Thank you mataji,I understood

• I guess its the actual spiritual 'touch' more then anything else. But then when I met my Gurudeva I got some realization when reading Bhagavatam .. my Gurudeva clasped my elbow joint for a while. then when reading bhagavatam (about vishnu-loka) I saw lord vishnu's elbow joint... I am not saying this for ego. But this is Guru mercy.. you cannot.. CANNOT progress or get ANY realization without Guru mercy, Nothing, nada. Zero.

• Thank you prabhuji for sharing your realisation

• Hare Krishna,

See prabhu, If I am hearing a tape of a Pure devotee ( Like Srila Prabhupada) I am listening to only voice of the person not his bhava I know what u said is totally right.

But actually shuddha nama should be heard with sudha mind. Hearing is different from listening!!!!

hearing means hearing with the apparatus called ear ( external ear, internal ear tympanic membrane, nerves, brain). Listening means to hear with body mind, soul present at the same time. You cannot do multi tasking at that time when you are listening.  Your body mind, and soul all should be involved into it. You must lose touch with the surroundings then only it is called Listening.

Again Krishna Conscious Listening means- being conscious of krishna while Listening to the recorded voice or your own voice.  You can simple say 1000 names krishna without ur heart and soul involvement also. like a parrot. It is of no use. blah blah blah. everything going above head nothing going into heart . When we do chanting we must feel internally blissful. Some sounds vibrated at a certain frequency can really produce some changes within the heart and mind. Even though the person is not alive. Srila Prabhupada said he is alive in his books. Consider him alive still. A guru never dies. Even when he is physcially not there also one gets telepathic instructions whenever time comes.  Don't ever consider SP not there now. SP is always there and he is alive in books and recordings. You have faith that he is there thats all. rest all is in ur bhavana only. If you think there is no bhava or prema just a recording then it is just a recording only. If you think no. Srila Prabhupada is right sitting near to me and and I am hearing his pure voice if you are convinced like this then Lord will make sure you will hear pure voice of Srila Prabhupada with the bhava and prema also. Its all about your bhavana. It is ur perception that matters.

Srila Prabhupada told " I am alive in my books" devotees who have faith in those words can really find him alive!!!! even now. Some recordings of Srila Prabhupada if I listen I sometimes get the Vibes of his presence. sometimes I don't.  That sometimes which I don't is the times when my mind is in maya. If my mind is in KC that time I can feel Srila Prabhupada's pressence right next to me. 

See there are people who question is Krishna there now? how is krishna there in a deity? Krishna disappeared long back. Does it mean that Krishna presence is not felt. Krishna is present to those who are able to pereceive HIM. It is ur mind who is doing dramas. When mind is in maya it cannot see things as it is.  When there is darkness of maya ( illision) the perception of things is different when the maya is gone.. one can percieve the reality. truth or reality was always existing.. it is ur perception that has changed thats all.

Hare Krishna.

• Thank you mataji,I didn't know that if we listen to the devotees recording with faith, and are in the Krishna conscious state then Krishna makes sure that we hear shudh naam. I never doubted in srila Prabhupada's existence as we know he always exists, I just didn't know about the fact that shudh naam also depends on our consciousness and not only of the chanter. If I came off as someone who has doubts on the existence of the acaryas,then I sincerely apologise to Krishna, the acaryas and the Vaishnavas. I am just like a child who doesn't know what he blabbers. Please forgive me if my question seemed that way.

I seek your blessings and prayers.

Hare Krishna

• That is very interesting question.. But when we READ Bhagavatam or Bhagavad-gita this is Gods words .. So they effect us even though we are reading. So I cannot see a difference between this (reading) and listening to sound vibration of Prabhupada MP3 Hare Krishna Japa (that I listen to regular while reading). I wait what others have to say.

• That's an interesting point prabhuji. Actually I'm afraid that if I give counter points, I might end up committing offences to the holy name, scriptures or even to you, because I'm a beginner and don't know the proper way of having such conversations. So, as you said, let's just wait for what others have to say. Dandavat pranam

This reply was deleted.