Hare Krishna...I am bit confused

Hare Krishna...I am bit confused since i am not able to justify myself whether i should sleep on bed or not.Should i sleep on ground if yes then what should be used instead of mattress.

One more thing i used to wear a mala of rudraksh but i was confused and i removed it and kept in mandir of my house.please explain me whether i can wear that mala or not.

Hari Bol....

Your Servant

Piyush

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• srila prabhupada was comenting one sloka of srimad bhagavatam and this is a part of that. :

The Kṛṣṇa consciousness movement is so beneficial that it can very easily counteract the contamination of material nature, which results from one’s possessing a material body. Bhagavad-gītā therefore teaches, in the very beginning, that whether one is a man or a woman, one must know that he or she is not the body but a spiritual soul. Everyone should be interested in the activities of the spirit soul, not the body. As long as one is activated by the bodily conception of life, there is always the danger of being misled, whether one is a man or a woman. The soul is sometimes described as puruṣa because whether one is dressed as a man or a woman, one is inclined to enjoy this material world. One who has this spirit of enjoyment is described as puruṣa. Whether one is a man or a woman, he is not interested in serving others; everyone is interested in satisfying his or her own senses. Kṛṣṇa consciousness, however, provides first-class training for a man or a woman. A man should be trained to be a first-class devotee of Lord Kṛṣṇa, and a woman should be trained to be a very chaste follower of her husband. That will make the lives of both of them happy.

• Volunteer

Personally telling about myself, if i sleep in a very soft bed i sleep a lot. I hardly like to wake up on time.

So i prefer little harder bed or mattress no matter on the floor or on the bed.

Bed - floor hardness is same. But if floor is cold then of course bed is better.

The main thing is we have to sleep and take very good rest, remain healthy and wake up before Brahma Muhurta.

Bodies are different. I know a friend of mine who sleeps only on bed shits. On a very hard surface. If I sleep like that bones will pain. But she does it.

Usually Devotees wear Tulasi neck-less.

And we chant not on neck-less but on Tulasi beads. Special chanting beads which You can find anywhere in any ISKCON Temple.

Your servant,

• sleeping on soft beds, eating nice luxury food, wearing expensive cloths, is external things which make person deeper in illusion because  of uncontroled sences and material attachement  .

pleasing sences and material body is never accepeted in any bonafide religion or yoga path.

SB 5.5.1Lord Ṛṣabhadeva told His sons: My dear boys, of all the living entities who have accepted material bodies in this world, one who has been awarded this human form should not work hard day and night simply for sense gratification, which is available even for dogs and hogs that eat stool. One should engage in penance and austerity to attain the divine position of devotional service. By such activity, one’s heart is purified, and when one attains this position, he attains eternal, blissful life, which is transcendental to material happiness and which continues forever

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO.

Sleeping on bed or sleeping on floor - isnt this externals? There are a lot of people who sleep on the floor - has that made them devotees? Anywhere it is mentioned that devotee should not sleep on bed? Dont get into these - it doesnt matter where you sleep. What matters is your level of absorption in Krsna's pastimes and how many breaths a day you take thinking of Krsna. Then if your attention is on Krsna, will you bother whether bed of roses or flat cold floor - no na. Thats how we have to become. We should be unattached to both - bed and floor. We should be attached to Krsna - thats all.

Regarding chanting on rudraksh beads - I think its ok. 108 beads na - though some people say vaishnavas should use tulsi or neem beads. If you do not have your beads with you and you want to chant, then you can chant on clicker, on fingers, on excel. I have never heard of anyone taking out that kanthi mala and chanting on that. To my knowledge, that mala is not necessarily 108 beads.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Rashmi

• Hare Krishna Prabhu
    Thanks for your guidence. one more thing, if i dnt have my mala for jap sometime.can i use my tulasi mala which i am wearing.

your Servant
    • Haridasa said, "All living entities in creation are inspired by the Lord in the heart to act in different ways. People of different religions praise the Lord's holy names and qualities according to the view of their scriptures. The Supreme Lord accepts everyone's mood. If anyone shows malice towards another's religion he ac­tually shows malice to the Lord Himself, who is worshiped by that religion. Since God is one, that person becomes envious of the same Supreme Lord that he himself is worshiping."

here is your answer, it cant be more clear then that.

• SB 2.2.3For this reason the enlightened person should endeavor only for the minimum necessities of life while in the world of names. He should be intelligently fixed and never endeavor for unwanted things, being competent to perceive practically that all such endeavors are merely hard labor for nothing.
    SB 2.2.4 When there are ample earthly flats to lie on, what is the necessity of cots and beds? When one can use his own arms, what is the necessity of a pillow? When one can use the palms of his hands, what is the necessity of varieties of utensils? When there is ample covering, or the skins of trees, what is the necessity of clothing?
    SB 2.2.5Are there no torn clothes lying on the common road? Do the trees, which exist for maintaining others, no longer give alms in charity? Do the rivers, being dried up, no longer supply water to the thirsty? Are the caves of the mountains now closed? Or above all, does the Almighty Lord not protect the fully surrendered souls? Why then do the learned sages go to flatter those who are intoxicated by hard-earned wealth?
    SB 2.2.6Thus being fixed, one must render service unto the Supersoul situated in one’s own heart by His omnipotency. Because He is the Almighty Personality of Godhead, eternal and unlimited, He is the ultimate goal of life, and by worshiping Him one can end the cause of the conditioned state of existence.
    SB 2.2.7Who else but the gross materialists will neglect such transcendental thought and take to the nonpermanent names only, seeing the mass of people fallen in the river of suffering as the consequence of accruing the result of their own work?
  • Hare Krishna Prabhu,

Bg 2.56One who is not disturbed in mind even amidst the threefold miseries or elated when there is happiness, and who is free from attachment, fear and anger, is called a sage of steady mind.

Bg 2.57In the material world, one who is unaffected by whatever good or evil he may obtain, neither praising it nor despising it, is firmly fixed in perfect knowledge.
    Be of steady mind. Don't be in confusion. Look at things with an eye of equality. Don't get attached to them or to thoughts concerning them. Be free. Be a Yogi and do your duty.
    Regards,
    Subash
This reply was deleted.