Gita (chapter 4 verse 7).

The English translation of chapter 4, verse 7 of Bhagavad Gita is being given as follows - 

Although i am unborn and My transcendental body never deteriorates, and although

i am the lord of all living entities,  i still appear in EVERY MILLENNIUM IN MY ORIGINAL TRANSCENDENTAL Form. 

No offence to my dear devotee brothers snd sisters,  but in every millenium (in every 1000 years) Krishna incarnates in this material world that too in his original transcendental Krishna form?... How can this be?...  This is surely an error in translation, coz the last time Lord appeared in his original Krishna form, on earth, was in Dwapara Yuga, which was many thousands of years ago, and not in the last millennium. 

Also nowhere among the sanskrit verses of Krishna do i see words that would translate as 'in every age' or in every 1000 years. 

The correct translation would be as per my opinion -

I still appear or incarnate in this world by my internal energy (Atma-Maya.) 

Would love to hear the opinions of vedic scholars on this issue. Thanks. 

Hare Krishna and peace :) 

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Mr. Kamlesh for your helpful post. Yes i do understand that the word millenium was used here to describe a long span of years. But still i would stress on accurate translation for such serious topics, since not all of us are aware of the timing of Krishna's incarnations, like people who are new to hinduism or vaishnavism.
    Prabhupada Ji could have used other words like "in many thousand or million years".

Also i made a mistake in my original post. It's verse 4.6 and not 4.7 or 4.8.
    Sorry again.
    • E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Anirudh prabhu,

PAMHO.

It is recommended that one reads scriptures under the guidance of some shiksha guru. Plain reading may lead to confusion. That does not mean that the author is faulty. It simply means that the reader is not qualified enough. 

So many scores of people have read this same verse and translation before you, they have understood. You were doing too much of literal translation and thats why got confused. Its ok to ask and like others have clarified your doubt, but its NOT OK to blame the writer for your lack of understanding. 

The same thing can be explained in different ways. That same way, the same thing can be understood in different ways. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Thanks for correcting me Dean Prabhu. Yes it's ch.4 , verse 8.

And i agree that it didn't deviate from the actual point but i still think that it should have been translated as "age after age" instead of in every millennium since "every millenium" translates as "every 1000 years" and Krishna as per our knowledge don't incarnate in every 1000 years , but only in yuge-yuge , age after age , which as you said translates as, in every few thousands OR millions of years.

Hare Krishna and Peace

This reply was deleted.