Hare Krishna,

Our environment is God's sacred energy and we have to protect it as all life depends on it. However, many times I see that ISKCON devotees are either intentionally or unintentionally harming our environment. How?

For ex: When someone purchases food at Govinda's canteen, they get it in polyethylene carry bags or served in thermocol plates (one time use plastic plates) this is very upsetting to me.

How many times do have we have to see the news that many kilos of plastic found in a dead cow, etc. Shouldn't we responsible for their deaths? Even indirectly.

I see many visitors entering temple with fruits, flowers, etc, carrying them in plastic bags. How many of you assure yourself and me that not even one of those bags will end up in a Cow's stomach?

Shouldn't we be strict about our actions, shouldn't we implement strict ban on plastic use and educate people for the love of Krishna? 

Hope you understand my agony.

Please take action, I don't know whom to complain. So posting it here.

Please let this be heard to respective authorities who can listen and take action. Please don't say it's impossible. Even Prabhupada was told it was impossible. Look what happened. No offence intended.

Hare Krishna.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Volunteer

True, this sense of protecting Mother Earth should be cultivated in each of us.

But the other side is that if they want to buy eco friendly plates and bags then customers should have to pay more. 

These days when we don't have our own gardens it is very difficult not to use those plastic stuff. 

So that is why I reuse plastic bags again and again.

In US there is a system of recycling things. 

There are 3-4 garbage cans near every home. 

Each garbage can is for different types of waste. 

So people stand there and separate their garbage into each garbage can.

THEY STAND AND SPEND TIME 

So here people are inclined more to such kind of compassion towards Mother Earth.

Where as in India there is a habit of throwing mud & leaf vessels to the nature. But they forgot that these plates are not mud anymore.

So probably some people in India should do a business on waste control. It is a huge business here in US. 

Your servant, 

• Hare Krishna.

Yes. Absolutely.

However, my main concern is lack of education of the common people who visit ISKCON for Krishna's darsan. Let's say for example, we keep a sign board that explains why we shouldn't use plastics, with a graphical image. It will not only educate people and discourage them to carry plastics, but also attract intellectuals towards Krishna consciousness and makes them more responsible to live in harmony with mother nature. 

I have seen Govinda's restaurant handing out its bakery items in plastic carry bags. I have seen the ISKCON books stores handing out books in plastic bags. I have seen ISKCON temple pujaris accepting offerings of devotee in a plastic bag and offering it to Krishna as prasad. I was very disappointed to see all this. This is a hypocrisy, isn't it? Sorry if I am rude. But this is how I felt.

I know for sure that Prabhupada would not accept this. He will insist on green living and education. My sincere request is to forst ISKCON live a green life and then educate the masses. Earth is divine, Krishna's potency. We should treat it with love and care.

Other ways to discourage plastic use:

Charge extremely high prices for plasti bags and explain the reason for high prices.

Sell and Encourage reusable jute and cotton bags.

Educate ourselves and people.

etc.

I sincerely hope ISKCON administration would read and understand my plea and make necessary changes.

Hare Krishna.

This reply was deleted.