I have been krsna conscious for more then 3 years now and have a doubt.My brother in law is bed-reddin and my sister and him are not krsna conscious. They cook meat in the house. I have come from India to Florida to help out my sister as she has no one. The environment is not conducive for krsna consciousness  but I have been able to chant 16 rounds but dont like being around this environment  as my  sister has to cook and feed him non-vegetarian food. I feel bad for her and have taken time off to help out. I want to go back to India and follow my krsna conscious life. Please tell me is it wrong of me to leave her to do that.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Nothing is outside of God's preview nor Hi's influence. So the arts of service & surrender are the ways in whitch we turn-over the responsibility of our destiny to "The Head God" if One simply practices Bhakte as a matter of one's spiritual exercise just as people hit the Gym of practice Yoga. Resolve to develop a daily program of associating with God directly the mantra makes it possible for the Karmicly un-qullafied to frequent the Stratums. All this will serve you in your spiritual evolution. And clear the way for the GodHeads to in-turn to get to know & serve you. It is reciprocation.This Bhakte service is our means. Our only way to be of Spiritual significance, and the rest is trust can we trust Krishna's judgment and decisions? I think "yes" Krishna is our best friend and so therefore, the personality we can trust the most! This is our reality so we should trust in the reciprocation process even if we can't see the results 1st.hand at 1st.
    Keep traying keep working & spiritual works will impress The otherWise un inpreshionable God Heads.
    Keep chanting Selflislissly & this Service will fill-in all the blanks. This is our one chance to attract & Serve the Most High God. That is our coup. Good luck.
  • Hare krishna Mataji ,

I feel if u can help ur sister and do you KC would be ideal even if they are non devotee , Every soul is part and parcel of krishna , u do u part and it is eye opening that Birth death old age and disieases u have to face today or tmrw , 

• Hare Krishna Mata ji
    PAMHO
    In a lecture, HH Radhanath Swami Maharaj points that "if our desire is strong and we leave some situations on Krishna then surely we are to get results."

Mata ji, our Prayers could be more effective then our preaching!
    Practically it is seen that relatives of devotees doesn't change by their preaching but by Krishna's grace they could become nice devotees.
    I would suggest you to practice your Krishna Consciousness rigidly and pray to Krishna for them instead of compromising with your principles and getting frustrated by not being able to convert them.
    Please forgive for any offense
    Hari bol
    Ys
    Rudra das
    • No matter of any desire, if there is no firm faith in Lord, one should not expect miracles to happened. 

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

I understand that you are finding it difficult there, but why dont you convert this adversity into an opportunity. Sit with your BIL with Gita, read out to him and discuss. Normally, when people are in trouble, they are open to spirituality. Introduce them to KC. Do not turn your face on their non veg eating habit. Let them eat - you make separate veg food for yourself, offer and then have. 

Be firm on your sadhana, chant 16, always keep hearing lectures, reading. Praying for the mercy of SP on your family, speak to them about Krsna. If they are receptive, they are getting the mercy through you. If they are not receptive, dont feel bad about it. You have planted the seed, it will take its time and sprout. 

Chant Nrisimha Kavacha for your BIL, teach your sister how to do it.

The real test of our Krsna Consciousness is to always do our duty, and maintain our sadhana, depending on Krsna at all times. 

There must be a ISKCON temple nearby. Search on www.iskconcentres.com and try to go if possible. Get in touch with devotees in your sister's area and try to introduce them to your sister. If possible, attend some congregational development program going on there. That way, you will also not feel so out of place, you get your space, at the same time, you get to help your sister also.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Hare Krsna. Thank you for your response. I have already introduced them to Krsna consciousness and my sister knows about everything. She said she doesn't want to follow it. She is happy with this material life. Out of frustration they both swear. I tell my sister and brother in law everyday to stop swearing. All they want to do is get back to their normal cushy material life. They only pray to demi-gods to get what they want. I don't want to stay here and spoil my karma. I have helped out as much as I can. My duty is towards krsna and no one else. Family attachments are not important. It is their karma. They have to deal with it.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Mataji,

PAMHO.

Tomorrow you will also need help, and you will have only family to fall back on. Devotee community cannot help in everything. It is easy to say family attachments are not important - there is no substitute for family. Do not burn bridges on the name of Krsna.

You have done your duty by introducing your sister and her husband to Krsna Consciousness. Whether they take to it or not, is their karma. By leaving them at a juncture when they need you, you are building up karma. 

A devotee is supposed to be compassionate. You do your sadhana, help them because you have gone there to help and come back only when your part is done. 

Now dont preach with words, preach with behaviour. Preach with practical demonstration of Krsna Consciousness. This is always more difficult to do.

I am stating what I would have done in your place. Its your equation with your sister, you know best. 

Last year, I had an illness for which I had to go out of town, 15 trips, weekly, to my sister's place. It was her help that got me back on my feet. Family is important mataji. Atleast I have not reached the stage where I can say family doesnt matter. Help, but with detachment.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Thank you all for your response. I want to help but I can't bear to around my sister and brother in law. They have so much pride especially my sister. Their behavior is affecting me a lot. I cannot bear to see the way she treats me and others. It angers me and I talk back which affects my peace of mind which is on a daily basis. I want to go back to India to my life but my conscience is not allowing it. I am praying to Krsna everyday to get me out of this place. I know there is a reason why God has put me here. Hare Krsna. 

• hare krsna prabhu 

the best thing in this case  will be give Krishna consciousness mixed with materialism ...

and krsna consciousness being the higher taste than materialism will slowly and automatically attract .

---hari boḷ

This reply was deleted.