does women are allowed to worship lord saligram's seela? 

i heard from many people that women are not allowed to worship lord saligram's seela. is it right or wrong. there is a lord saligram's seela in my home but my mother do not used to worship it but she told me and my brothers to worship it because she had also listened from her seniors that women are not allowed to worship lord saligram's seela. please clear my illusion.

hare krishna.

You need to be a member of ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT to add comments!

Join ISKCON Desire Tree | IDT

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• SB 11.27.3-4O most magnanimous Lord, the instructions on this process of Deity worship first emanated from Your lotus mouth. Then they were spoken by the great Lord Brahmā to his sons, headed by Bhṛgu, and by Lord Śiva to his wife, Pārvatī. This process is accepted by and appropriate for all the occupational and spiritual orders of society. Therefore I consider worship of You in Your Deity form to be the most beneficial of all spiritual practices, even for women and śūdras.

SB 11.27.12The Deity form of the Lord is said to appear in eight varieties — stone, wood, metal, earth, paint, sand, the mind or jewels.

Hindu traditions, stories from inauthentic scriptures and their interpretation is one thing, but Truth and teachings which comes from Srimad Bhagavatam is another.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna Prabhuji,

PAMHO. 

The question asked is - whether women can worship Saligram shila, not whether women can do deity worship. There is no dispute that women can do deity worship. 

For Saligrama Shila, there is a restriction on women doing seva. It is very simple to do seva of saligrama - simply pour water, put chandan and tulsi, and He is pleased. 

What I have mentioned is what I have heard from HG Jananivas Prabhuji in a personal interaction in closed group of people.

All Hindu traditions are not be discounted simply because one has some half baked information reading from a scripture. Anybody can read scripture, but a guru is required to understand what is written. PLease ask your authority this question. I have given reply based on what was asked in front of me to the head pujari of Sri Sri Radha Madhav in ISKCON Mayapur. I consider him to be an authority on deity worship, as does most of ISKCON.

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

• Salagrama Silas are adored as deities of Lord, therefore worship of Salagrama silas are kind of deity worship. Anyway, Even Sri Caitanyas mother adored Salagrama Silas :

CC Madhya 15.54-55“One day My mother, Śacī, offered food to Śālagrāma Viṣṇu. She offered rice cooked from śāli paddies, various kinds of vegetables, spinach, curry made of banana flowers, fried paṭola with nimba leaves, pieces of ginger with lemon, and also yogurt, milk, sugar candy and many other foods.

• E-Counselor

Offering can be done, not abhishek. One doesnt have to touch the deity while doing offering, thats the difference.

• If Iskcon matajis are forbidden to touch the Silas, they can wear a gloves if they need to hold them. In this way  matajis will not brake Iskcon rule, and still have a spiritual benefit like others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKCfhOQ6ZlU

• E-Counselor

DOnt make fun - "ISKCON Matajis".

Anyone who is on the path of spirituality, in Gaudiya Vaishnav parampara, we follow guru, sadhu and shastra. I asked you first post itself to check with your authority, which you didnt.

I am a fallen soul, therefore I accept authority. 

Why are we asked to follow guru and sadhu, in addition to shastra. Please note that we may not be understanding shastra, Thats why guru and sadhu to explain and clear small small doubts. 

ANyways, it is upto the readers to decide. I have conveyed whatever little I know.

• Radhe Radhe Rashmi ji

In Traditional Gaudiya Vaishnavism the one followed by the followers of Nitai Gauranga and the six Goswamis of Vrindavan, women can do Shaligram seva even Avishek, as done by Maa Janhava Goswamini Thakurani. The only necessity is to be from brahmin having kam beej and gayatri.

Neo Gaudiya Vaishnavism (Gaudiya Math-ISKCON) and Smarta Pandits of das Nami Sankar Advaita Parampara does not allow women to touch Shaligram ji.

• my mother used to asked to the seniors of her family who were comming from adwaita parampara. they do not allow her to worship  lord saligrams seela. i also asked to some of the bammacharies of iskcon but they tell we dont know about that. now what to do in this situation. please help me.

hare krishna.

• Without mercy of true devotees, even acaryas and celestials can not progress, what to talk about others.

• E-Counselor

Hare Krsna PRabhuji,

PAMHO.

That is right. Women do not worship Saligrama Shila. The men folk of the family have to worship Saligram shila. 

Haribol,

Your servant,

Radha Rasamayi DD

This reply was deleted.